[09x03] February 11th, 2007

Hilarious!

Hilarious!

This episode was absolutely HILARIOUS!:lol: I laughed through almost the entire thing.

I'm sure some of you know, but there's similar adventures to be had for yourself on the Big Apple to Big Easy rally. Except instead of a plush grand, you only have a measly $250 to buy your car with. And instead of driving to New Orleans from Miami, you start in New York City. And you have to go through the Smoky Mountains.

TopGear's magazine component did the thing last year (I bought their $177 Lincoln Town Car for them!) and it may well be where the production team got the idea for this episode.

It's a very, very Top Gear thing to do (it's even hosted by the same couple of Brits who do the Staples2Naples thing, and the activities reflect this...playing snooker with digital cameras and different-colored cars?) In fact, the organizers are encouraging teams from the UK to sign up and get adopted by the US teams to find them cars.

I myself will be running it this year in a $124.53 Ford Taurus SHO I bought on eBay.

How embarassing...

How embarassing...

As I'm sure is already rampant throughout the pages of this thread (forgive me, I haven't been through every page), I would like to chime in also and say I'm flat-out embarrassed as an American.

I personally live in California, but spent a good ten years of my life in Missouri which you could define as a sort of "borderline" state. Its a little more progressive than say, Arkansas, but it still has its "lovely" areas that resemble Alabama. I can't say I'm surprised about what happened, I can only say I'm embarrassed much in the same way a child is his embarrassed when he's lied to his mother that his room's clean and she's come in to check. We as Americans know that there are places in our country like Alabama that we've done nothing to fix (in parts of the south it is still taught to schoolchildren that the Confederacy won the war).

But far more embarrassing were the images of New Orleans. Apart from the fact that there was suspected foul play (purposefully failing the levees so as to save the French Quarter), the entire situation completely stinks and sheds an awful light on our country. And as a result, I would catch an enormous amount of shit for things I essentially didn't have any part in but deserve no less than anybody directly involved. I'm proud of my heritage for some of the less-than-popular reasons and I'm ashamed because of the things my country has done or has failed to do.

In the end, we're all in this thing together. But each has to pull his or her own weight and I'm more than prepared to see we Americans are unwilling to pick up the rope.

-mC

Jeez, 50 pages?!

anyway, great, great ep!! I was laughin like a mad man! so much jokes and situations!

I really did enjoy it very much, it has been a while we have seen the boys on an adventure.
The Alabama bit, really scarry! Nuts! I loved it:D

At the end, New Orleans looks terrible, a real shame!

so, a great ep, one of the best i think, ever!!

"They even shot their own sign, what are they going to do to us!?"
I almost fell off the chair at that.

Well, let's see...

I own a blue Camaro.
(http://www.clubi.ie/exalted/images/Other/camsde1.jpg if you're interested)
I own multiple firearms..
(http://www.clubi.ie/exalted/images/Other/SIGBush.jpg and http://www.clubi.ie/exalted/images/Other/falhipower.JPG if you're interested)

I must be a murderer or a redneck, according to this episode. Or both!!!
(Actually, I'm an IT contractor in California)

Wait, how the hell do you have all those guns in Kommiefornia?

Yes, come to a blue state that clearly has logic, reason, integrity, and compassion on its side like... New Jersey. Come enjoy.... the docks of Newark. Marvel at the splendor of ... Camden. Come to Hoboken and stare at the Weehawken Ferry.

This is why Hawaii enjoys alot of Tourists folks. At least before we rob them and call them "Haoles" while pushing the Bullshit "Aloha Spirit." :lol:

The really should have payed Jay Leno a visit!!!

Best episode ever!!!!! I was almost crying with laughter when they were dismantling the air-con in May's Cadillac, that was gold.

Pretty bloody scary with that fuel stop in Alabama. Can't believe a bunch of guys actually rocked up in the pick-up and started throwing shit then following them! :eek:

Fantastic episode! Really enjoyed it :lol: :lol:
Though I do find it pretty damn scary of the amount of people who carry firearms in America. Damn, that really puts me off visiting (especially the part when Hammond discovers the bullet markings on that used car. :blink: )

Anyway, extremely funny episode? Cannot wait until they do an episode Down Under! :mrgreen:

First, I'm pretty sure the BBC crew has to get permission from the people for them to appear in the media. They have to sign releases or else they would have had to have been blurred out.

I wouldn't bet on that. That would depend more on UK law (of which I'm pretty ignorant) than American law. And I don't think you really need a release in USA either (I've been televised several times, and have never signed anything; plus, how else would the paparazzi sell any photos).

Though I do find it pretty damn scary of the amount of people who carry firearms in America. Damn, that really puts me off visiting (especially the part when Hammond discovers the bullet markings on that used car. :blink: )

Anyway, extremely funny episode? Cannot wait until they do an episode Down Under! :mrgreen:
we don't walk around with them like in the old western movies. most people have them for protecting their homes, hunting, and/or recreational shooting at a range.

Last edited:

Don't let that put you off! You'll only me missing a trip to a (IMO) great country. :)

I've been living here over three years and I've never been shot! :D As long as you keep out of the crap areas and don't physically attack any "Concealed Weapon Permit Holders" or off-duty/retired cops, you'll be fine!

Haha, alright... It will still be a holiday destination then :D
(And I'll try not to murder anyone)

I'm sure some of you know, but there's similar adventures to be had for yourself on the Big Apple to Big Easy rally. Except instead of a plush grand, you only have a measly $250 to buy your car with. And instead of driving to New Orleans from Miami, you start in New York City. And you have to go through the Smoky Mountains.
the blue ridge parkway through the "great smokey mountains" (appalachian mtns) is a BEAUTIFUL drive, especially through my home state of north carolina.
smokies.jpg
l_cove.jpg

Blue-Ridge-Parkway,-Pisgah-National-Forest,-North-Carolina.jpg

and if you're in the area, you MUST try to tame "the dragon" at deal's gap, north carolina. it's our version of the nurburgring nordschleife in the united states. it's a popular destination for all kinds of motorheads. there are several car club rides, motorcycle clubrides, rallies, and tournaments throughout the year as well. there's an infamous "tree of shame" that features some of the broken parts of various motorcycles.
IMG_1782A.jpg
IMG_1782B.jpg

curve.jpg

treepg2.jpg
TODmap.jpg

here's a list of websites with info and photos, incase you're interested:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=deal%27s+gap&btnG=Search

Last edited:
Does anyone know if any Stateside right-wing media has caught on to this episode? It seems like PERFECT fodder for people like Bill O'Reilly or Rush Limbaugh to start railing on how our alleged "allies" are actually just laughing at us! I have many friend sin the UK and it's really not causing any sor tof dust-up, other than ratings. This was a big on for the BBC! Not as big as the crash, but it was definitely water cooler material for a while.

Damnit! I live in Maryland when I'm not at school... That's PG county for ya!

I can't believe this thread is still going strong. We have well over the number of posts than the Veyron has horsepower!

I know SO many people in PG

Holla at purdue!