[09x03] February 11th, 2007

Christ on a pogo stick.

Will you please stop with the "all American's aren't like that" comments. It's insulting to everyone here that you feel the need to point out that America is not ONLY full of rock-hurling, shirtless, mulleted rednecks.

Sure. Not every American is a redneck. But Rednecks DO exist... and they only exist in America. And since America has produced the redneck and allowed the redneck to survive as a species (I'm not sure if they can be interbred with actual humans) then America does deserve the ridicule for the situation until the redneck situation is resolved.

-Justin

Just to clear my standpoint, I hardly take anything in TG seriously. I wouldn't even buy a car based on their advice, because to me it's not a serious motoring show but a light hearted motoring show.

I would (well, not solely on their advice, but a damn site more than 5th Gear or Motorweek), because unlike the vast majority of motoring shows, they do screw around, but they also call a piece of crap a piece of crap. Hardly any other motoring show will hammer on the flaws of a car. And it's not just the mechanical stuff, it's really the "daily driver" stuff that annoys them.

Every motoring show in the U.S. is nothing more than a "the only downsides were its price, engine power and that it showed a slight tendency to understeer". Screw that. Top Gear would and does give you the full wasabi of a car. It's French, so the plastic bits will fall off in a few weeks time and it will depreciate faster than a new TVR owner's expected life span. The ride is horrid and you can get a new <insert car here> for only little bit more. And <insert car here> has a better interior and while it may have less power than Frenchie it also won't lose its resale value nearly as fast.

That and I love when they do the "real world" tests. Take a Volvo estate to a "flea market" and see what it can hold. Have your mums come in and test the new "mom" mobiles. A Land Rover should be able to make it up a mountain.

They do dispense tangible information w/ their humor.

That said, it was still highly amusing to see the situation at the gas station - though I agree that it seems it was exaggerated
I wouldn't be surprised if the woman at the gas station was genuinely mad, but I also wouldn't be surprised if she was informed by the crew beforehand about what was going on at her station...and was happy to play along for the cameras.

I have encountered in my trips to the coast is more concerned with having a laid back good time, than with throwing rocks at anyone.
You probably already know this becuase its been said somewhere among all these posts... the rocks were simply foley SFX's added in later... nothing was thrown.

Last edited:
I would (well, not solely on their advice, but a damn site more than 5th Gear or Motorweek), because unlike the vast majority of motoring shows, they do screw around, but they also call a piece of crap a piece of crap. Hardly any other motoring show will hammer on the flaws of a car. And it's not just the mechanical stuff, it's really the "daily driver" stuff that annoys them.

Every motoring show in the U.S. is nothing more than a "the only downsides were its price, engine power and that it showed a slight tendency to understeer". Screw that. Top Gear would and does give you the full wasabi of a car. It's French, so the plastic bits will fall off in a few weeks time and it will depreciate faster than a new TVR owner's expected life span. The ride is horrid and you can get a new <insert car here> for only little bit more. And <insert car here> has a better interior and while it may have less power than Frenchie it also won't lose its resale value nearly as fast.

That and I love when they do the "real world" tests. Take a Volvo estate to a "flea market" and see what it can hold. Have your mums come in and test the new "mom" mobiles. A Land Rover should be able to make it up a mountain.

They do dispense tangible information w/ their humor.

This is one of the things I like, no sorry I love about TG, yes they do mess around a lot but there is logic behind their messing about. They brought ?500, ?1500, ?10,000 supercars to see if it could be done. James raced against parcour experts because the car and parcour is French. They tested convertibles in a remote part of Scotland because that's the area which buys the least amount of convertibles (in the UK). Hammond took the Murcialago (sp!) roadster to Spain because of the bull run and the cars Spanish links. Everything doesn't seem right at first, but it is cleverly interwoven with a theme which runs through a whole segment.

And BTW speaking of Fifth Gear, about 3 or 4 years ago I would have taken their opinion more seriously then TG's. The old FG for me functioned like the old TG (pre 21st century), more serious and more down to Earth. Know though FG has lost the only stregth it had over TG by going after viewer ratings and mimicking their style. It can only be described as a dog's no2.

Why you all bent there Justin?

Why you all bent there Justin?

Timeout Justin.:? So the blokes over on that Island are allowed to razz us about the character defects of our countrymen. But we can't poke fun at their people. I'm equal opportunity at poking fun. I have even been known to poke fun at my own character defects. Kinda one of the things I always enjoyed about British humor or humour if your British. I only mentioned one tiny sentence about our redneck brethren in Alabama.

Take a pill. I recommend the purple one mate.:lol:

Christ on a pogo stick.

Will you please stop with the "all American's aren't like that" comments. It's insulting to everyone here that you feel the need to point out that America is not ONLY full of rock-hurling, shirtless, mulleted rednecks.

Sure. Not every American is a redneck. But Rednecks DO exist... and they only exist in America. And since America has produced the redneck and allowed the redneck to survive as a species (I'm not sure if they can be interbred with actual humans) then America does deserve the ridicule for the situation until the redneck situation is resolved.

-Justin

If you have such a problem with the show, then it begs the question, why do you bother watching it? The fact that you do watch it and at the same time whine about it just makes you look redundant, sorry.
No I don't have such a problem with the show; I love 99.9% of it. That's way more than enough to bother watching it. And I don't whine about the show; I was merely commenting further on my previous post regarding Clarkson's statement "If you come to America everyone's very fat, stupid and rude. And that's the truth". Others here have made a valid point about that and maybe it's the ONLY thing that went too far in the very long time I've been watching the show. And I will keep watching it, because I'm still an avid fan.
And I hate to burst you're bubble about you're individual percieved value to the BBC, but I'm afraid you're opinions aren't of much relevance to the BBC. For one thing, they have enough to worry about to strike a balance between spending, quality of programming and viewer figures (and also the politics that comes with it) in the UK alone, without having to worry about what people in the Netherlands might think about it. Don't take offence with that, I couldn't care less if you're public broadcasters ignored my views.
None taken. I wasn't implying that opinions of the BBC abroad were anywhere near as relevant as the British. But the BBC is a tool to promote the language/culture/point of view and I commend that. I enjoy the BBC. But suppose they would broadcast something completely inaccurate about a subject relevant to people outside the UK, but viewed by those people, I would suspect those people would have a say to correct that (and I'm not implying the BBC has ever done that i.e. being incorrect). THAT is what I meant. I wasn't really talking about TG.
Their main (and perhaps sole) target audience is the British public because the public provide pretty much their entire budget power and they have to answer to the governors and regulators, who in turn have a duty to ensure the BBC meets the standards of broadcasting for the public. And the point about the BBC selling commercial rights to other countries is irrelevant simply because the show would still survive, in it's current form even if it weren't shown outside the UK. The fact that it is shown outside the UK is a bonus, not a neccesity.
Yes I understand that completely. It's the same system here. I know selling TG is a bonus, which is why I said it shouldn't have any effect on the show. However it does relieve pressure, if tiny, off the licence fees. I thought you could've read that between the lines.
Look, I'm real sorry you feel upset that JC crosses the boundaries of taste, but at the end of the day frankly he doesn't care what you think, and neither does the BBC. The notion that the BBC would take serious notice of non-UK opinions and let it have a bearing on a domestic BBC program (yes domestic) is absurd.
If anyone is so upset by TG or JC's antics, the best form of protest is not to watch. Better still, perhaps you can write to your public broadcaster asking them to start a motoring program.
But continually whining about JC views, when they are very well known and in fact what he has largely become famous for in the UK, is what I consider 'lame'.
I don't feel upset about JC crossing the boundaries, but I do understand it a little when others do. And I know my opinion is irrelevant to him and the BBC. I'm cool with that. It was more a discussion of Person X saying something on a show that others, dispite being used to the nature of the show, may have found a little too much and others saying they're crybabies because of that. Whatever the reason.
And fyi I don't defend JC on the mere grounds he is British, I defend JC because he is an integral part of my fave program on telly.
OK I'll take that back and apologize. It's just that sometimes these threads get too much of a patriotic tint and I don't like that. I guess I misread your post. I'm just trying to get people understand eachother better. Maybe I suck at that.:lol:

BTW if my post was a little over-the-top I just want to say I didn't want to start an argument/row/firestorm and I'd like the atmosphere to remain humorous, mmmkay?;)

Timeout Justin.:? So the blokes over on that Island are allowed to razz us about the character defects of our countrymen. But we can't poke fun at their people. I'm equal opportunity at poking fun. I have even been known to poke fun at my own character defects. Kinda one of the things I always enjoyed about British humor or humour if your British. I only mentioned one tiny sentence about our redneck brethren in Alabama.

Take a pill. I recommend the purple one mate.:lol:

My goodness you're sensitive. Just because I addresses something included in your post and my response was right after yours doesn't mean I was speaking only to you. ;)

-Justin
(Please, have your redneck spayed or neutered)

Oops. I just remembered why I stopped participating in forums years ago and became a lurker.

Who else can we flame today?

BTW we should really be arguing about why BBCA doesn't broadcast this fine show here in the states. It's not too difficult for me to Torrent. But sometimes the rips have audio sync problems.

The redneck situation, eh? They may be called "rednecks" only here in America, but these people exist everywhere. They just go by different names.

Just thinking out loud here but another thing that may have gotten so many of us Americans chiming in is BECAUSE we like Top Gear so much. I personly kind of relate to the antics of Clarkson, May and Hammond and view them as (as you Brits say) Mates. They love cars and have found a greatly entertaining way of presenting car related stuff that no American motoring show can even get close to. Its because we respect Top Gear that the hateful remarks hit home a little harder.

BTW we should really be arguing about why BBCA doesn't broadcast this fine show here in the states. It's not too difficult for me to Torrent. But sometimes the rips have audio sync problems.

I did actually see a few episodes on either Discovery or TLC last year... but it was short-lived.

The biggest obstacle would be advertisers. They have to cater to them on American TV - and would therefore not be likely to allow the presenters calling their products rubbish. Also, they would have to cutr their 60 minute show down to 40 minutes for it to air in an hour on American TV.

The other big issue is political correctness. I'm sure the French comments could slide (at the moment) but every time JC hints at Hamster being gay (which is far more often than he makes American jokes) they would be slapped with a lawsuit or have to pay off a gay rights group.

I'd rather download it than see it mangled and homogenized for American television.

-Justin

large.jpg

:D Say it loud! Say it proud!

For all Clarkson's comments, he bought a Ford GT - Twice.

I have also seen him fire a weapon more often than any American presenter. He even brought an AK47 on his caravan holiday.

Hamster absolutely loves classic musclecars. He was practically drooling at the showroom in Miami.

May should love American cars because they suit Captain Slow's driving style.

It was a great episode. I hope they make more like it - even if I have to laugh at my own expense.

-Justin

Just thinking out loud here but another thing that may have gotten so many of us Americans chiming in is BECAUSE we like Top Gear so much. I personly kind of relate to the antics of Clarkson, May and Hammond and view them as (as you Brits say) Mates. They love cars and have found a greatly entertaining way of presenting car related stuff that no American motoring show can even get close to. Its because we respect Top Gear that the hateful remarks hit home a little harder.

There have been hateful remarks of many a European country on US television since I've been here, but I just take them in my stride because I know that's not what all Americans think.

This is no different.

It won't change of course, there's no need; while the large majority of viewers aren't offended, they'll keep going along the same themes.

Oh dear.....1,097 posts to go through. Sorry I didn't.....I hope you guys can forgive me. ;)

Ok, so this may have been posted before: has anyone already wondered where Jeremy found a 190 HP Camaro? Doesn't the 1989 Camaro RS 305 have 170 HP?

Far in advance

Far in advance

I knew that this episode was taped before the crash, but apparently it was done quite a while before even that. I happened to be re-watching S08E06 (the caravaning episode) and in the interview with Brian Cox, Clarkson mentions he had stones thrown at him in Alabama for having "Hillary for President" on the side of his car.

I knew that this episode was taped before the crash, but apparently it was done quite a while before even that. I happened to be re-watching S08E06 (the caravaning episode) and in the interview with Brian Cox, Clarkson mentions he had stones thrown at him in Alabama for having "Hillary for President" on the side of his car.
Oh yes. He also uses the same nasal "you want cheese with that?" thing he mentions in this episode. Hadn't gone unnoticed with me...... ;)

Know though FG has lost the only stregth it had over TG by going after viewer ratings and mimicking their style. It can only be described as a dog's no2.

Completely agree. And if you remember the poll on Final Gear's main page about how the last FG season was, the vast majority said it sucked... and I have to agree it took a turn for the worst.

I've been watching TG since the first season, and before that I used to watch the old Top Gear too.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I find the p***taking out of other country's (usually) funny, you don't. I'll continue to watch the show. Let's leave it at that. :)

Just to clarify, the good taste/bad taste issue is secondary, that was just MY reason why I found the humor in this episode labored and scarcely funny. My gripe is not that he is making fun of americans or whatnot, my gripe is that it was an ENTIRE episode without automotive content. I don't understand why Clarkson needs to talk about americans SO much? To the point they turned an entire episode into a redicule fest, and left out all the automotive content. As an automotive journalist he is unparalled as entertainment goes, I love his views on the motoring world, and I love how he expresses them.... but I don't really care about Katrina, the crime rate in the USA, the religious views of Alabama and the diet of americans. You guessed right, I do generally like the old episodes better (I did absolutely LOVE the 2nd episode this year though).

I aslo believe it's not fundamental to be british to have an opinion on this board. I'm not talking from an american point of view, nor from a british point of view here, I'm talking as an automotive enthusiast, and this we all are (and fact TG crew reads this board is pretty indicative of their passion and interests). I'm sure my view is shared by some british viewers as well, I doubt every single brit found this episode "awesome". Probably not worth much, but that's that.

Oh dear.....1,097 posts to go through. Sorry I didn't.....I hope you guys can forgive me. ;)

Ok, so this may have been posted before: has anyone already wondered where Jeremy found a 190 HP Camaro? Doesn't the 1989 Camaro RS 305 have 170 HP?

Maybe he had a Z28 badge in the boot, like the SS badge on his Merak.

-Justin

my gripe is that it was an ENTIRE episode without automotive content
Not true of course. In a non-automotive show you would have said there was a lot in it that was about the cars. But yes.....they do make a show, rather than automotive information. Consequence of this is that a good (female) friend of mine loves Top Gear (guess who got her hooked ;))....I'm not so sure she'd also like 5th Gear. :lol:

Think of it what you like, but Jezza and the others did make Top Gear the most succesfull show on the entire BBC. So I guess that's what the people want. Entertainment with an automotive sauce. Fact is that it wasn't all that popular before it became this way.