[09x03] February 11th, 2007

I was reading the comments on a site after people saw 'Alabama-gate'.

"what if i drove round London with 'Beckham sucks' on my car?"
"Im gonna write the 'Queen sucks' and drive round the UK"
etc etc

I couldnt give a s*** to any of these type of comments. :lol:

I don't understand why Clarkson needs to talk about americans SO much? To the point they turned an entire episode into a redicule fest, and left out all the automotive content.

Deny it all you want, but Top Gear is entertainment, and that's the end of it. A very insignificant number of people watch it for any informational value. Who here really needs Aston versus Jaguar versus Porcshe comparisons? Who here gains from knowing that the Veyron can indeed reach 252MPH? Who would indeed have wondered whether it's faster to Oslo by boat or car?

Since they're funded by tax money, they apparently feel some slight responsibility to keep in touch with their audience, so they put "reasonable" cars in from time to time (and grumble about it whenever they do). Their "conclusions" from these reviews are always completely superficial; when they describe anything as "rubbish" it's almost certainly not. So how much informational value is that?

In fact - the "public money" thing sets me thinking. Top Gear is a worlwide smash hit! That's a big, and $$valuable, audience. How long before they succumb to greed and sell the show - presenters, production crew, and all - to American money? They could probably work up a fairly effective, "reality-based" show for American prime time and *really* rake in the money.

On the one hand, this yank would have better access to the shows (torrent works, but it's hard to get it to the telly from there). On the other hand, taming Jeremy's pro-UK arrogance and would kill the humor. On the other hand, think what they could accomplish with (say) "Extreme Makeover Home Edition"s budget. On the other hand, they'd lose access to all those awesome soundtracks.

y'all continue to miss the point. you may not care, but someone else may take offense. you and i both know your hooligans are maniacal. you'll never see an american put on house arrest, because our government fears he will streak at a sports event or riot.

the fact that top gear is filmed primarily for the english audience isn't a green light for the producers to be as crass as possible towards others. that is like saying the contents of the film, triumph of the will, is fine because it was intended only for germans, and non-germans have no justification for being offended. i know some troll will try to interpret that as me equating top gear to a nazi propaganda film. that's not what i'm doing. i'm just saying that top gear needs to be more responsible. if they want to insult and flame americans, the french, germans, italians, etc., then they should do it more responsibly and not present their views as fact. and top gear isn't ignorant to the fact that well over 200 million people view the show in some capacity around the world.

as i said before, i didn't mind that they goofed americans. i was disappointed that was all they did during their visit. and i was annoyed top gear presented their special as a fact. this thread has shown that most viewers, even my fellow americans, aren't clever enough to understand top gear's experience is hardly genuine. top gear should've been responisble and made it more clear the american special was hyperbolic satire; not journalism.

Deny it all you want, but Top Gear is entertainment, and that's the end of it. A very insignificant number of people watch it for any informational value. Who here really needs Aston versus Jaguar versus Porcshe comparisons? Who here gains from knowing that the Veyron can indeed reach 252MPH? Who would indeed have wondered whether it's faster to Oslo by boat or car?

Since they're funded by tax money, they apparently feel some slight responsibility to keep in touch with their audience, so they put "reasonable" cars in from time to time (and grumble about it whenever they do). Their "conclusions" from these reviews are always completely superficial; when they describe anything as "rubbish" it's almost certainly not. So how much informational value is that?

In fact - the "public money" thing sets me thinking. Top Gear is a worlwide smash hit! That's a big, and $$valuable, audience. How long before they succumb to greed and sell the show - presenters, production crew, and all - to American money? They could probably work up a fairly effective, "reality-based" show for American prime time and *really* rake in the money.

On the one hand, this yank would have better access to the shows (torrent works, but it's hard to get it to the telly from there). On the other hand, taming Jeremy's pro-UK arrogance and would kill the humor. On the other hand, think what they could accomplish with (say) "Extreme Makeover Home Edition"s budget. On the other hand, they'd lose access to all those awesome soundtracks.

I can see them buying the format, but not the whole show (plus didn't they try this already?).

US viewers *prefer* US presenters (obviously not all of them for you are here!, but in general). I mean Hugh Laurie has to put on that accent in House, and there can only be one Simon Cowell! :D

i don't see how you can claim american viewers prefer american presenters, actors, or whatever else. that's purely unsubstantiated conjecture on your part.

Deny it all you want, but Top Gear is entertainment, and that's the end of it. .

If that's so, Top Gear has "jumped the shark" with this episode. That's a term coined in honor of the American hit "Happy Days" when Fonzie jumped his motorcycle over a shark. It's the seminole moment when you realize a once great show has turned bad.

Clarkson has become a parody of himself.

If it's going to be all roadkill hunts and megaphone-steamroller bits, well, what about the cars?

I started going through the effort to watch TG because of (1) the hands-on reviews of exotics and (2) the no-bs attitude sprinkled with humor. I thought the crew gave me the best idea of what it would really be like to drive my dream cars.

Then last year I got a chance to drive some of my dream cars (Lamborghini Gallardo, Ferrari F430, Ford GT, Z06, DB9) and I had to think, did listening to Top Gear reviews (not that anybody else is half as good) convey the joy I experienced? Did they lead me in the right path, so if I didn't sit behind the wheel I'd have some clue what it would be like? Sadly, the answer is more and more a "no".

Last edited:
Just watched the episode and it was hilarious. They've managed to take everything most of us hate about the south and fit it all into one hilarious top gear episode, brilliant! The south is truly a horrible, hopeless place, and Florida is no exception. Florida is like mexico in that you want to stay around the nice touristy areas otherwise the rest sucks terribly bad, and you may be shot by an immigrant or drug dealer with an unregistered gun. haha.

I had also heard of hillbillys riding around in pickups and harassing out of towners(anyone not from that backwater redneck hick village) but havn't seen it for real. the scene with the rocks being thrown was actually quite shocking.

about katrina: there are several reasons the area hasn't been built up again. one, most people with the proper insurance who recieved payment from the companies(some smaller companies have been trying to get out of paying which is very disgusting) have elected to move elsewhere. We got an influx of people from new orleans here, one which many aren't quite happy about, but whatever. Another is that since there are so few people left in the area, and it's even worse than before, businesses have elected to move elsewhere rather than rebuild and reopen. Also, many people didn't have any insurance at all and are now stuck at square one down there. and finally, Louisiana politics are some of the worst in the country, and most of the rest of the state hates new orleans and I even heard someone at a bar outside new orleans say, "when that city finally sinks into the ocean, i'll buy everyone here a round of beer", i wonder if he owned up.

also, the reason they had a hard time finding a car on the cheap at a dealer was most cars that would sell for $1500 or less are sent to mexico for about that amount, rather than trying to sell them here. it's not really worth it for a dealer, even a shitty one, to keep many of those cars around as all the fees associated with selling a car could add up to more than the car is worth. your best bet is to check classifieds and just talk to people(what clarkson did to get his murder-mobile).

I'm glad the top gear presenters are well paid, because I would certainly need to be to drive across those 4 states as well. :D

Those are exactly the points why I like(d) the show. 3 incompetently compent car nut blokes giving their opinions and views on the motoring world. I don't mind the occasional pointless bit as long as there is a ballance with the car content.

You know, about a year ago I would have completely agreed with you about the automotive content in the show. I remember coming on here during S8 (I think it was season 8) and moaning about Hammond's race in the Porsche Cayanne (sp!) against the sky diver, and getting blasted for not saying 'it was a great episode'. But that was before I realised two things: one, TG is past it's best and two, it's more of an entertainment show then a car show.

Nice post, you understood perfectly.

Last edited:
Well, this thread ain't stopped yet, so why stop now? :)

I don't know about anyone else but I would like to see Ferrari/Porsche/Aston comparisons, I'd like to know the techy bits about a Veryon, and yeah you guessed it, I'm also interested in seeing if a car is faster to Oslo then by a boat. :D

Mmm, not always. Sometimes they do have it correct. The VW Golf GTi, for example, is a very good car, whereas the Chrysler Crossfire, for example, is absolutely rubbish. The Vauxhall Monaro is another good car, but something like a Diahatsu Chirade (sp!) is a pile of crap. As I said before, I'd never buy a car based solely on TG's advice, but there not always lying through their teeth.

I think you've answered you're first paragraph yourself. There is no way the trio (or at least JC) would defect from the BBC, not unless there's some drama resulting in them walking out. And there is certainly no way JC would even consider going over to the states and presenting there. In many ways working for the BBC sucks, but there are advantages. The obvious one is that because the BBC is commercial free, JC is free to run his motor mouth over any car company he wishes, and he usually does so it's just as well. Plus the amount of 'bonuses' in terms of getting to drive top rate cars, have decent guests on the show and good quality facilities and production budget means that, IMO, I don't think JC will ever defect from the BBC. He knows TG is part of the BBC, and without it TG can't survive in it's current form.

Those are exactly the points why I like(d) the show. 3 incompetently compent car nut blokes giving their opinions and views on the motoring world. I don't mind the occasional pointless bit as long as there is a ballance with the car content.

I like the show; my wife likes it too. It's "car-themed" entertainment. Vive la entertainment!

(What other car-themed entertainment is there? NASCAR actually, um, does suck. I don't watch American Chopper; I saw a few Monster Garage episodes but I can't stand Jesse James. I plan to catch Drive when it comes out; I like Nathan Fillion.)

I downloaded many of the old episodes (post-2002) and have watched most of them. They used to do a piece about where to find good deals. They don't anymore; hardly anybody watches the show for "practical advice." Plus, for out-of-UKers like me, much of their information is useless. (Not only can't I buy a Lambo Gallardo, but I can't buy a Fiat Panda either, 'cause they're not offered for sale in the USA.)

I downloaded many of the old episodes (post-2002) and have watched most of them. They used to do a piece about where to find good deals. They don't anymore; hardly anybody watches the show for "practical advice." Plus, for out-of-UKers like me, much of their information is useless. (Not only can't I buy a Lambo Gallardo, but I can't buy a Fiat Panda either, 'cause they're not offered for sale in the USA.)

I can get manufacturer's specs from their websites. There's no need for a TV presenter to read them to me. I want to know their opinions of ther cars, or see what they do with/to them.

Maybe this is because the cars covered are unavailable or unattainable to me, but I suspect I wouldn't have much interest in someone covering the dealer inventory levels of last year's American cars either.

-Justin

Well, frankly, I got to drive a V8 Vantage a little over a month ago and did feel and hear what Clarkson was talking about, so I guess it does help.

But in essence, where else are car geeks like us going to get the beautiful shots and production that Top Gear provides us with? I don't know if there is one episode where I didn't stop and say: "Wow that is absoutely gorgeous"; or that hasn't blown my mind in some way.

Case in point, the Supercars in Paris episode from Season 7 or, more recently, the V8 Vantage vs Jag XKR bit. That was some of the best videography and production I've ever seen. It made me want those cars and to be in that place. Fine, so it represents what many of us cannot attain, but it keeps us dreaming. It really showcases the beauty that many of those cars possess.

Its entertainment, but, sir, its also art.

-Jeff

american motor tv shows

american motor tv shows

i wonder what the budget is for each episode of top gear (especially the previous few seasons where they said they ran out of money). I suspect that they run a pretty heavy budget to produce such a show.

Other than budget, it's the crew and the talents that build the show, which is shot by producers with some artistic talents.

i can't believe how stupid i was watching the american auto tv shows before, looking at a stupid guy fixing a truck for 10 weeks. :bangin:

It's true, there has never been an American automotive show that I've said to myself, " I need to watch this every time it's on." There are a couple of speciality shows like American Chopper or Monster Garage when it first started, but those were about building ridiculous cars and bikes. Pinks is OK, but that's more drama than cars really.

I think even Jay Leno wrote something in the London Sun newspaper how how amazingly good Top Gear is and by contrast American car shows are absolutely terrible, but you could never air a Top Gear style show in the states because most Americans aren't that interested in cars. I wrote him once and suggested having the guys on once, but seeing as how 99% of Americans has no clue who they are, I don't think it would work. He could be the guest on TG one night, though. He'd probably be the only American that Jeremy would be jealous of for his car collection.

speedvision used to be the shiznit! i used to watch that channel all day and night. then, fox bought it, changed the name to the speed channel and basically made it all nascar programing. fucking idiots. they already dominate coverage on atleast 3 other channels. why couldn't they have left the one fucking channel for non-nascar shit?!!!?!

US

US

Great episode! Wonderfully entertaining and humorous.

But please don't think that all Americans are like those represented in the show. It's shameful to think that those types of people represent America and give it such a poor reputation. I'm glad I don't live in the south.

hello all,
i guess i am a little late to the party ... but ... here goes !

i am a big fan of top gear and have seen almost all the episodes including the one with the interview with the hannibal lechter actor whose name i do not recall .it does seem that jc is speaking of this episode during that interview .is this show older than they are letting on ?....

as far as humor goes on this episode it had its moments , however i think there are only so many ways that you can rip on a country or group before it becomes distasteful ,like a comic who just insults members of the audience and it's supposed to remain funny indefinitely .

i used to drive 18 wheelers and i did plenty of driving down south and i can say first hand that from all of my experiences the people of the south are good people . also ,if you need to know , big-truck drivers are in fact civilized people as well ,most of whom drive to earn money to feed their families ,pay for their homes,and pay for their children's educations etc. not the type of people who go around looking for whores .

i find it kind of ironic that jc dislikes america so damn much . i would say most of america has the same political views that he has , especially about regulation , green laws ,greenies in general ,lawsuits and that whole crowd . i think he is speaking from the british political point of view , though . not that anyone takes hin seriously.noone should take anything he says about America with more than a grain of salt .

about bush : he is not always well spoken and that leaves him open to ridicule by those who want to selectively lampoon certain gaffes of speech that he makes ,BUT say what you will , he is a man of conviction who is willing to defend the country .after all this time , despite the apparent changes in the political winds , he still has not flipped , changed or wimped out . it is nice to see someone who cares more about doing what is right than his own political fortunes in the office of president .

i do not know if jc or anyone else at tg really likes hillary clinton or what but if she were british and she were voted prime minister this is what you would have :
a. a speed camera every ten feet
b. everything under the sun would be nationalized
c. everyone would be forced to drive a prius
d. the government would confiscate everything that can be construed as a weapon
including butterknives
e. the individual diet and all personal activities would be regulated and controlled by
"the ministry of health","the ministry of freedom"or some such entity
f. one would not be allowed outside ones home without safety glasses

last but not least
as an american , i do appreciate the british contribution to the effort in iraq ,especially since historically , the british have so much experience in that region . :)

good day all,
G