[09x03] February 11th, 2007

this was my favorite episode because they came to america. i thought it was hilarious

you bastard, we almost killed this thread. Now look what you've done

American Viewer -- Embarassed

American Viewer -- Embarassed

Being the "ignorant American" I am, I am still embarassed by what happened to the boys when they had that nonsense painted on their cars. Still shows there's a long way to go in particular regions of the US for tolerance and economic improvements.

Anyhow, being a NASCAR fan AND a fan of Top Gear, I thought that "NASCAR SUCKS!" painted on the back of the Cadillac was brilliant and hilarious. It looked to me that the Top Gear staff definately did their homework before coming stateside to embarass each other, and nearly successfully get each other killed in the process.

Too bad they didn't reseach how much a used car goes for in the US on average beforehand... Still, probably the funniest episode they've ever done.

Great episode, funny and turned a hour into what seemed like 10mins. A little controversial towards the end. Can't see the American members of the forum are going to enjoy it perhaps as much as they should.

I do think its one of the best episodes ever. I havent gone through the entire thread (all 59 pages of it) , so I dont know if this has been posted before. (My apologies if it has been..).
But some of the footage they showed as "beyond the lower backend of the town.." is actually from Detroit, not Miami. They showed the same for brief instances in the episode where the Ford GT was reviewed by Jeremy.

Best Episode EVER :tvhappy:

even after the 10th time i watched it XD

top 3 episode in tg history. In episode 8x06 jeremy mentions the stone throwing incident in america. prolly someone has noticed before me, but wanted to point it out.

Dissenting view here. It has some funny moments in it and I admit after re-watching it I do quite like it. However the first 30 mins is WAY better than the last. Basically everything up to the redneck incident.....still can't decide if that was staged or not.

Hey I just have one question: at teh camping part, May and Hammond set up a tent for the night, but only ONE tent, and it's so small that it would even be small for one person. How did they sleep in that?

top 3 episode in tg history. In episode 8x06 jeremy mentions the stone throwing incident in america. prolly someone has noticed before me, but wanted to point it out.

Which means that they filmed this special episode during the World Cup. Because, of course, at least Jezza doesn't give a damn about football.

Nobody can answer my question?
No because it's such a stupid question! For the love of God, just watch the show and enjoy it! Or can't you live with the fact that you do not know who slept in which tent? :think:

https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/10/29/overanalysistopgearclot.png

Last edited:
Yes this episode must be one of the best I've ever seen. But I do hava a one question for everyone.

While i was browsing through http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/production_notes/aston.shtml I noticed that all the nice shots of the car driving by were filmed after the race.

But did the Top Gear film team used the same tactic in USA too?

Although this special [09x03] episode wasn't a race because it was more like a journey across Southern USA.

May's Cadillac lives on

May's Cadillac lives on

Couldn't believe it when I first saw it, but someone actually took James May's Brougham and got it running again. Not only did they get it running but it now resides outside an O'Reily's autoparts in Plano Texas. Obviously I cannot be 100% certain it's the same car but if it's not, then it's a damn fine replica. Same make, model and color. It also has body damage in the same places (passenger side tail-light, drivers side headlight).

Being the "ignorant American" I am, I am still embarassed by what happened to the boys when they had that nonsense painted on their cars. Still shows there's a long way to go in particular regions of the US for tolerance and economic improvements.

Anyhow, being a NASCAR fan AND a fan of Top Gear, I thought that "NASCAR SUCKS!" painted on the back of the Cadillac was brilliant and hilarious. It looked to me that the Top Gear staff definately did their homework before coming stateside to embarass each other, and nearly successfully get each other killed in the process.

Too bad they didn't reseach how much a used car goes for in the US on average beforehand... Still, probably the funniest episode they've ever done.

you have more hate groups in illinois than there are in alabama, wessuess.

wessuess, your so right those damn hayseeds down there are embarassing.
(live 45 minutes away)

superchevy, i hate to admit but your wrong.

I do have to agree with that, also being a fan of both NASCAR and TG. However, I think that there would have been massive points scored if "EARNHARDT SUCKS" had been painted on the Caddy instead. Both Dale Earnhardt Senior and Junior are practically worshipped as deities among NASCAR fans in the South. And there's been a few instances at Talladega when the fans showered Jeff Gordon's car with beer bottles and other sorts of shit.

Other thoughts:

• Big Stig FTW. James' face is priceless after he sees Big Stig for the first time.
  • The Cow-Maro...I could spend literally an hour watching the cow fly off the roof over and over and over again. If it had hit the ground and splattered cow bits and juice everywhere, I don't think I'd be here today on account I would have killed myself to death laughing.
  • I'm not that big on Dodges. Thanks to this episode I suddenly have the urge to take some temporary paint and write MAN LOVE RULES OK on the first Ram I see. Thank you, James!!
  • Note to self....buy one of those in-car showers. It may come in handy should I ever have the urge to strap dead animals to the roof of my car.
  • A few weeks ago, I was fueling up my Saturn at a gas station and I happened be right behind a truck with one of those Freedom Grills attached. My first thought was, and I remember because I said it out loud, was "hey! That's like the one Richard had!" I never bothered to find the driver and ask if he ever used his grill to cook peeled squirrels.
  • Or for that matter, I don't think I've ever asked my older brother the hunter if he's ever peeled a squirrel.