[09x04] May 1st, 2006

Yeah, it is. :D

This episode was much better then last weeks, but it still lacked something. Vicki's test of the Brera was good, nothing special, but her shoot-out sucked yet again. I mean, what is the point of racing 2 MPV's with 5-6 people in them? Who exactly is going to find that information useful? Soccer moms with lead feet?

Tom's segment was really good, but it seemed very short. It would have been cool to see him drive a couple of cars for more then just 20 seconds.

The M3 vs RS4 was cool, but felt drawn out. They make you wait between tests (like TopGear), but there is never any excitement building up to the finale (unlike TopGear). You pretty much know what the results of the tests would be, without ever having to watch it. Too predictable. They should have thrown the RS4 up against the new WRX STi or one of the EVO's. Now THAT would have been interesting.

The Handbrake Course and the Gas Card segments were somewhat interesting, but ultimatly boring and very very dull.

PS. Yes, your M3 is most definitely cooler then the RS4.

Much better episode than usual. I love the Tiff/Plato shootouts. Why did Plato say m3 CS ? Was it a regular m3 or the csl (which i highly doubt it ).
It was interesting to see the Car club even if it did not have any excotic cars and the gas price segment had some interesting info. Vicki , well , I dont think she picked the cars correctly (the Merc A class was off). Otherwise fun I suppose.

M3>RS4 8)

The Brera bit was disapointing. I dont see why they choose the diesel instead of the 3.2V6 with AWD.

The AWD brera is not out yet.

That sort of drifting is very much enjoyable with a proper rwd of course ;)

Sony said:
Why did Plato say m3 CS ? Was it a regular m3 or the csl (which i highly doubt it ).

M3 = Regular
CS = Regular M3 with upgraded sport package
CSL = The stripped out one with the carbon roof etc

In the shootout, wasn't the verso ahead in the hairpin? Well, might just be an editing mistake... ;)

TomCat said:
This episode was much better then last weeks, but it still lacked something. Vicki's test of the Brera was good, nothing special, but her shoot-out sucked yet again. I mean, what is the point of racing 2 MPV's with 5-6 people in them? Who exactly is going to find that information useful? Soccer moms with lead feet?

We don't have "soccer moms" in this country and as it's a UK show, I'm very much doubting that that was the target audience for this segment. It's presumably for someone who has a large family but doesn't want two cars. MPVs are one of the safest and also environmentally friendly cars for families. I think 5th Gear is trying to sell them to people over SUVs. Although I did think it was a little silly to have the camera crew in the car with them as you wouldn't push a car like that to the limit with your family on board, it's more for when it's either just you or you and a friend, I guess.

They are out in Germany... And I suppose in the rest of mainland Europe...

Kickass segment as always when Tiff and Jason go head to head. I knew that the M3 (which I love to death...) would powerslide better than the rs4, but not by that much! I really thought you could slide it a bit like a rwd car...
I would rather have a 50000km M3 than that Audi...

1. The M3 is not technically a saloon... Jason kept calling the M3 segment the "super saloon shootout". Why not just call it a coupe?
2. Arizona is not in the Midwest of America... I know Tom is not from America, but the Midwest is somewhere totally different.
3. One of the deals that Plato showed on the website had expired... he said "it's still good to the end of April." Didn't this episode run on May 1st?
4. Again, when Plato was showing the website they showed the picture of the old E-Class while mentioning MB was selling the estates for the same price as the sedans.
5. Jon Bentley needs some new clothes... he always wears blue jeans with that very British pink shirt and navy coat... enough already.

Overall it wasn't bad though... the supercar club was a big letdown, didn't show or do anything. Wow, their cafeteria was designed by Frank Gehry... I shat myself it was so cool.

Shawn_230 said:
1. The M3 is not technically a saloon... Jason kept calling the M3 segment the "super saloon shootout". Why not just call it a coupe?

You are being pedantic. Kinda annoying to go "super saloon and coupe shootout". Just convenient to go 'super saloon'

Shawn_230 said:
3. One of the deals that Plato showed on the website had expired... he said "it's still good to the end of April." Didn't this episode run on May 1st?

But was the episode filmed recently? Even the office segment, could have been filmed last week as opposed to the day it run. Which would make 'technically' the offer still good.

That was a great ep!!!
I loved the bit in Scottsdale, the Brera was quite nice as well (anyone know the location? Looked great when the big gate opens), and the M3 RS4 shootout was awesome as well.
Loved it!!!
Hopefully they'll keep it up, next week's content sounds great as well!! Woot!

Now you are being pedantic... what difference does it make when the show is filmed? Nobody was going to see it until May 1st...

Screw off if you have nothing to do but retaliate against comments that weren't even directed towards you.

Tha_bounce said:
Shawn_230 said:

You are being pedantic. Kinda annoying to go "super saloon and coupe shootout". Just convenient to go 'super saloon'

Shawn_230 said:

But was the episode filmed recently? Even the office segment, could have been filmed last week as opposed to the day it run. Which would make 'technically' the offer still good.

My guess is they tested the JTD Brera because it was the version that fitted their budget best for a prize car in the competition. I still think they should have tested the V6 (Which only comes as AWD).
I liked the M3/RS4 test. M3 is still more nimble handling than the RS4 :thumbsup:
Supercar club thing was ok. Uhhh, big surprize BMW is going to make a R8 rival...

They should have tested another engine in the Alfa Brera. That diesel was... good looking, but boring. A V6 or something would have been fantastic! The RS4 / M3 test seemed like some "last minut" dicision... we already know that the RS4 would win in a dragrace and loose the "Dorifto" challenge....

Not the best Fifthgear i've seen :(

I think it was the Lexus LF-A if that's what your ? means.

Kebab gud said:
Lexus Supercar? (2007?)