[09x05] February 25th, 2007

Yay, for the train segment! :clap:

The LP640 review was OK, but not quite as good as I was expecting. I was also hoping for more reviews, though. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the tractor segment quite a bit (James' wavering trail of vehicles was probably the funniest bit :lol: ).

A so-so Top Gear in my opinion.

Good ep. The train segment, despite the TG trappings, was a real Public Info Film, paid for by Network Rail, I remind the people who are moaning about it BTW...

If I were you, I'd edit that post and edit quickly...

Nope, definately TG, I had the subtitles for the people of impaired hearing on.

May I ask where you've got those subtitles from? I am desperately searching for them to translate into Chinese version, you know, for us Chinese petrol heads.:blink:

More Cars Please

More Cars Please

Very funny episode, was dying during the "drag" race and of course Stig falling off the seat. However I'm still left wanting more car reviews. It used to be that the challenges were only a few each season so they were something to look forward to. Now there is one per episode and they no longer focus on racing cars or buying old beaters. I'm not against having them, they are all hilarious, I just hope that in the future we get to see more than one car review per episode again. We all know there are tons of great cars out there that have yet to be handed to the Stig.

Also more Top Gear Dog :D

The episode was only OK to me. I am looking forward to the harvesting and fermentation of their bio-fuel, but this episode boiled down to a funny news segment and a beautifully filmed, but soulless, Lamborghini review. A hypercar review should not have an anti-climactic ending, but this one did.

And Kristin Scott Thomas? What a dull person.

Funny episode, good to see the guys can still put on a show.

Anyone else notice JC reusing the "difference between a fast car and a Mclaren F1" shtick?

I enjoyed the tractor part more than I enjoyed LM640 review simply because LM has already been reviewed by a number of magazines, so nothing new there. Fantastic car, sounds great, looks sexy, and given a good driver can set a competitive time. I'd have one...in gun metal grey.

When trying to reverse their tractors, it was interesting to see what sorts of cars they have in car park...such as the modified purple Range Rover Sport. Clarkson was reviewing it at the time (I believe in August), for Times Driving (www.timesdriving.co.uk)

Also the tractor drag race was an interesting bit. Seeing some of the creations from past episodes such as the "Living Room Benzo"...or the Renault MPV Cabriolet. Did any of you notice how Clarkson said "We'll produce enough petrol to fill up my Ford GT..." So I guess the change from GT to Lambo happened sometime in October. I think he got frustrated/bored with GT...plus I think he purposely likes to switch his top cars every two years. Didn't he own an SL55 AMG, and then SLK 55 AMG?

Oh did you know that the plane which Clarkson was towing is actually a prop plane used in the latest 007 movie? It's a real plane, but engines aren't. It is the same 747 VW used for demonstrating towing capability of new 12 cylinder TDI Touareg. Autocar and Fifth Gear (Tom Ford) both shot their footage at Top Gear airbase using that Touareg and 747.

So guys who wants what tractor? I liked Clarkson's obviously for being the fastest...although Hammond had a sweet ride as well.

Last edited:
I think it's interesting that a lot of people are homing in on the Stig falling out of his seat in the JCB as a really funny moment. You know why it was? Because it's one of the few funny bits that wasn't scripted.

I mean putting a tractor in the middle of the car park? Of COURSE they wanted accidents. And because they wanted accidents there isn't any "OMG" reaction when Hammond backs into the Astra. It's more of a "okay, let's move on".

The Lambo film was poorly edited, I thought. The bird bit was just confusing and silly and all the "fancy" camera work just made it more difficult to try and appreciate the body design and the feeling the car delivers.

I felt bad for KST. She looked uncomfortable having to put up with May and Hammond's goofs and Jeremy feigning meekness in his position on his opinions about the various cars he brought up.

I think this was the poorest episode of the series.

I'm hoping a lot of this stems from Hammond's accident and the need to get TG back on the air even though they were lacking for content. Hopefully next series will reign things back in a bit.

I seriously doubt that speed was real... 13 mph faster than the CCX with 160+bhp missing and an added 700kg? VERY MUCH doubt that...

I think the gearing seems to be affecting it mostly, specifically the "TopGear":lol:. The lp640 seemed to bump off the redline limter as it hit 207mph (kinda low for 640hp, meaning shorter gearing), where as the koneig has a couple thousand rpms and about 50+ mph left till it maxes out (meaning taller gearing). The lp640 also has awd, which lets it use all of its hp to accelerate, whereas the koneig can't effectively use 850hp on only 2 wheels, thus can still spin its tires in 4th gear:blink:.
If you don't believe me check out the following video of topspeed runs conducted on an airfield similar to the topgear track. Only 2 4wd cars make it past 200mph, while the rwd cars just burn rubber:lol:. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1950662812053957657&q=200mph+evo+redline&hl=en

No doubt the koneig could probably break 207mph if it had drag slicks and some shorter gearing.
Anyone else notice Jezza short shifting the lambo at 7k, damnit man ball up and rev it to 8k:p. And damn, that track looked partialy wet while the lp640 was doing its lap, I bet it would've been maybe 1-2 seconds quicker on a drier sunny day:).

BTW. my favorite part is when James shows how Jeezzza rubs up his thigh, when he sits in his tiny panda:-o.

Last edited:
However I'm still left wanting more car reviews. It used to be that the challenges were only a few each season so they were something to look forward to. Now there is one per episode and they no longer focus on racing cars or buying old beaters. I'm not against having them, they are all hilarious, I just hope that in the future we get to see more than one car review per episode again. We all know there are tons of great cars out there that have yet to be handed to the Stig.

QFT.

And oh. The CCX got very tall gears since it need that to achieve that top speed. Thats why it needs a bit longer then others.. (I think, read it somewhere a while ago)

Anyone else notice Jezza short shifting the lambo at 7k, damnit man ball up and rev it to 8k:p.

I noticed this immediately as well. On a show where we used to hear rev limiters as often as dialog from anyone but Jeremy, I can't figure out why he would baby the thing like that. :rolleyes:

Great ep. Just like every other one. ;]

Is that black Porsche Richards? It looks amazing!

Kristin was dull as hell.

You could tell that Jeremy was also trying to be excited during the LP640 review, but that he wasn't really that moved by it. If you watch for example the Koenigsegg CCX review, ones like that, you can tell he's thrilled. He just seemed like he had to try to make it interesting (this isn't a critisism of the review but of the car perhaps). Was a puke-o-matic colour too.

Yeah she seemed like a terrorfied puppy cowering infront of a sex craven wolf foaming at the mouth:lol:.

I think, if it was a lp640 roadster in gunmetal grey with bright orange seats, he'd probably change his order from the gallardo to the murcilago. The increased sound, the wind riping off whats left of his pubic hair afro, the darth vader engine cover blocking his entire rear view, the drop dead gorgeous looks of the sleek roadster, and the looney color of the orange seats inside; would definately make Jezza weap a tear or two of excitement. :D And also a regular six-speed tranny vs. the flappy paddle nonsense he loathes to death.

BTW. just watched it again and changed my favorite part to where Kristin calls the gallardo spyder JC ordered pathetic:lol: :lol:, though it makes me want it even more8).

Last edited:
The only thing that excited me was the Lambo review, what a stunning machine. I'm getting a little tired of these challenges, I actually skipped through that farming crap. would like to see more of a focus on car reviews and head to head comparisons. Either way, this is still the best show on televsion.

Is it just me, or did the LP640 review seem much like review's he's done before. He copied the option list brochure from the F430. He even copied the Golf GTi bit from one of his older McF1 reviews, only it versed the skyline GTR. Even sitting on the bonnet when the Golf pulled up, its like they just refilmed the old clip with the LP640.

The whole review seemed very stitched together, without much thought going into it. Even his description of the older models, "oh you should feel 10", "why would you buy one" etc, it just felt so uninventive.

Its like ever since he's driven the veyron, the sense of speed from the exotics dont seem to interest him.

Last edited:
Good episode, I thought. The tractor thing was quite funny, but the Lambo review did seem a bit half-hearted with the recycled jokes, F430-style options list, etc.

KST was hilarious with Hammond and May having a guest appearance. Although I can't really see why KST is supposed to be so cool...

Oh and btw, the train vs. espace was shocking! I never thought the train would be, as someone mentioned earlier, 2/3 through the bloody car before it actually moved o_O After that, I will for sure take extra caution whenever I cross a railway.

I really enjoyed that episode, I love farm machinery so that helped a lot. Thought the filming was great in the lambo section, I liked the use of the falcon, not sure why the did it, but did it look impressive. While I know the drag race with the GTI is like the F1 vs Skyline, it's still a good real world test I'm not really bothered that he's done it before
The news was one of the best, absolutely hilarious and a little longer than usual which I like.
The train section was great too, taking the piss out of trash like wild wildest police chases and police camera action. The hi speed camera work was incredible, especially the slow overhead shot. Really good solid episode.

Last edited:
I think it's interesting that a lot of people are homing in on the Stig falling out of his seat in the JCB as a really funny moment. You know why it was? Because it's one of the few funny bits that wasn't scripted.

I mean putting a tractor in the middle of the car park? Of COURSE they wanted accidents. And because they wanted accidents there isn't any "OMG" reaction when Hammond backs into the Astra. It's more of a "okay, let's move on".

The Lambo film was poorly edited, I thought. The bird bit was just confusing and silly and all the "fancy" camera work just made it more difficult to try and appreciate the body design and the feeling the car delivers.

I felt bad for KST. She looked uncomfortable having to put up with May and Hammond's goofs and Jeremy feigning meekness in his position on his opinions about the various cars he brought up.

I think this was the poorest episode of the series.

I'm hoping a lot of this stems from Hammond's accident and the need to get TG back on the air even though they were lacking for content. Hopefully next series will reign things back in a bit.

im not sure what the bird was all about, was it a peraquin falcon? (or whatever? not a bird man obviously)

i had thought, or heard somewhere that they were staging a race between the bird and the car, because the type of bird they used there is a seriously quick winged wonder. my only guess is that it didnt pan out how they wanted.

your hammonds accident comment is a very sensible one. though alot of the features were filmed prior to that, i can only imagine that afterwards the teams minds were else where rather than on the job on making TG. i also think his accident necessitated a short season for hammonds sake, and maybe they felt like they had to jam pack it full of stuff.....hence all the cocking about. personally i prefer the cocking about. having cocked about in a mates field with some beaters...its easy to see why the keep doing it. best fun ive ever had.

Last edited: