[09x05] February 25th, 2007

I seem to recall there was some legal requirement that a show of TG's category must to a certain amount of public safety stuff.

I don't mind. It's gratuitous destruction of an Espace, so it's fine with me. I like trains too.

Have a gander on Youtube for train v truck or the ilk. When you realise that the locomotive alone weighs some 200 tons (if I recall for a UK locomotive), there's a fair bit of inertia to deal with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZDAd8YX65Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQJonaGNF-E

I liked the fact they had some lettering on the side referring to level crossings.

I think (Esp judging by the apparent age of the loco) that it was a specific demonstrator loco, used just for such purposes and painted as such.

There's a programme in N. America called 'Operation Lifesaver', the warning/tips are painted on the sides of a lot of in-service locomotives.
mpa1500a.jpg

4524.jpg

NTM

It seems odd that they film you, then say lets look at your lap. Rather than saying lets look at some decent clips of you going around the track at different times of the day.

Cheaper to have two camera guys out filming than four. Star does some laps, cameras change positions, etc. Final piece assembled for presentation, but the time presented is real. Pretty common.

Definitely one of the more entertaining episodes, also one of the worst "Stars" ever.
She cut JC off 3 or 4 times and had about as much character as the Italian news reader girls.

I think we need a new benchmark JC, someone with more personality or at least some wit.

Loved the Lambo.. I do agree that its too suttle for a hypercar but hay, if i could afford it, I'd still get one.

Top Gear Dog is back! Hip hip hooray! :D

On that note ... during the sheepdog/sheephamster segment, did anyone notice that Hamster was calling Top Gear Dog 'Gigi'? I'm wondering is Gigi is TGD's real name?

i think we all have to remember these episodes were filmed in the summer of 2006, so the cars are bound to be outdated by about 6 months.. due to Hamster's crash, so surely the next series will be up to date :)

Great episode. I wish we could get at least one review out of the three for each episode, though. But so it goes.

Didn't the CCX wipe out near the end of its "top speed down the runway" test? That might be part of the reason the Lambo wins: the CCX didn't get to use the full runway. (Which is a pretty serious problem in and of itself, if you think about it! Get the one with the wing on it!)

I'd add more, but... tired...

Damn most of that was funny.
The train bit was a little old Fifth Gear-ish - back when they used to do the interesting crash tests with real/old cars - and people still try to beat the trains.
I always wonder why they don't put double barriers across the crossing, so there's no way across. $$$ probably.

The news was great - right up there with pants in the microwave.

Wasn't looking forward to the tractors, but funny too - and that one Hammond had looked awesome. I think the music person missed a trick - there were a couple of spots where the theme for Bonanza would have slotted in nicely :)

I know the screening / clips / etc are a little out from the scheduling change, but it'd be nice to see a little more car content. I might be in the minority, but I liked the Lambo piece - with the bird of prey shots.
Hopefully all of the 'challenge' pieces for two series haven't been used up in this series when they tried to put things back together, although if they needed any ideas they can always come back here :)

Nope - the 'off' happened on Stig's fast lap.

When Clarkson drove the CCX down the runway and braked, it also wiped out of controll.

And the reason for the CCX being faster is not mainly the rear wing. It is the suspension settings who Koenigsegg fixed. When the Stig drove it the first time, it had not even went on asphalt. Becouse of the bad weather in Sweden.

Cheaper to have two camera guys out filming than four. Star does some laps, cameras change positions, etc. Final piece assembled for presentation, but the time presented is real. Pretty common.

I agree. But not buying the argument about money, it costs half a million quid to make ONE episode, remember.

Watching Stiggy bounce around the cabin of the tractor had me in stitches.

I'm getting tired of the barely-car-related challenges but this one did make me laugh some.

I thought it was a cracking episode!!
That Lambo is the sh*t, even though at first it was a little harsh on the eye, imo.
And the STIG in May's tractor... my gosh!!
...and the banner..!!
I can't remember the last time I laughed so much!!

I noticed that when he raced the GTi in the Lambo, that everything was EXACTLY the same as when he raced an r33 gtr in the McLaren...even the dialogue was the same.

whats funny is that ive read about that JCB in a race sitation in EVO's 100th issue. Im sure jezza says its a 8.3l V8 (cant remember) but just lookin at the specs, its an 8.3l I6.. which is just monsterous!!

Top Gear Magazine, and the Stig, put it round the track a while back, too...I was wondering if that was done at the same time, or if that's where the idea came from [as obviously farming work would have to be done at a specific time of year]