[09x10] July 3rd, 2006

thejaredhuang said:
The Radford Mini was the most pointless part ever. Not only did none of them know anything about cars, but one of the rockers could barely drive manual.

A question for any UK'ers, what do the zigzag lines mean?
They are basically warnings coming upto a zebra , you also can't cross them.

Dude, clarkson already did a skit on the stupid japanese showroom in his motorworld show if I remember correctly.

It's a showroom for people who can't afford and will never OWN a car, in Japan. Get on a bus. No room for independence here. Same concept of his vietnam show with the Merc dealership.

wahaha said:
Dude, clarkson already did a skit on the stupid japanese showroom in his motorworld show if I remember correctly.
Dude - so what? Thats a 1996 series :roll:

kekekeke said:
FG copying TF yet again. I guess that was his point.
Thats absolute rubbish :thumbsdown: Are FG not allowed to report on that item because Clarkson (not TG) has done a segment on it before?

Seriously. :roll:

Golf R32 vs. BMW 1series M - already seen on top gear.
And as discussed: destroying an old car - already seen on top gear.
So what is Fifth gear for? Sometimes I just feel it's just about giving away cars to the british...

FG often tests many cars before TG, the C6 was a bit of an exception as TG was first. The idea of testing the C6 with the gunmen sounded good, but I think it was a bit poor...

Does anyone else think that Jason shouldn't always test the BMW's? It's like putting Jeremy Clarckson to review an album by the Who.... Pointless.

I'm going to have a lot less time to for example DL and watch FG and TG during the next nine months. I think I won't even bother to get the Fifth gear episodes during this time as i'll only be let home on every second weekend or so :)

I suppose that's being a bit pedantic, as what goes around, comes around... 10 years is long enough?

However; majorly pi55ed off at the E-Class section. Definately another argument for the "copying 'Top Gear'" brigade. Also we own one which was 3 years younger and has done 10,000 miles more - I'm sure that better use could have been made of such a veteran of motoring! (OK then, I'm just having a good sulk... :D )

Have to say, I liked the rallycross bit (the racing at least), as I like watching it on MotorsTV - although it would have been funnier to put Vick in a 6R4 - Hellfire!

Jasons sections are probably the most sensible, and are so much better for it. It reminds me when he co-hosted C4's "Driven" with Penny Mallory.

Radford Mini wasn't too great - How can you be cool if you need to ask others? (But then I wouldn't know much about being cool!) The Mini just looks like someone's pimped car, nothing really new. Just like the Concept Traveller, then.

Yeah. The showroom stuff wasn't really copying since it was last shown ten years ago. I doubt FG team even knew that and I know I wouldn't care since I havent seen Jeremy there.

Scud said:
Then Why do you watch it?

When ever FG does something fun you all cry it's a rip off from TG.

Well said.

People should just watch FG as its own show. If TG hadn't done the Hilux item then you might have thought the Merc item was really good.

To be fair, FG's use of shooting at a car (recreating the attempted assasination of the French President) was a lot more justified than TG's.

If people started watching FG as its own show instead of trying to compare it to TG all the time then they would be able to enjoy it a lot more.

Well, as usual. Vicki her pieces SUCKED! I hated the rally bit. At least all the fuzz around it. I don't care how scared she is to drive 2.5 laps. And how stupid can you be? Turning off the engine? And then the piece where she says she is an "utter clot" or what was it .. sjeez. Rediculous. Also, the piece with the mercedes is seriously annoying. First, it IS a Top Gear rip-off. And seconldy it is so fake pfhh .. it's sad.

The rest of the show was entertaining. Although I still hate the price shoot-out. It's allways the cheaper car that wins. It's so odd. I would imagine Tiff beeing able to handle the RW BMW on a damp track. At least get a better time then a silly FW R32.

Tom's part was gold. Absolutely love all his work. Jasons's part was also good. Informative and entertaining. I just wish they cut Vicky from Fifth Gear and get someone as capable as Tom but then perhaps female. It's not even needed. As long as he/she is a good presenter. It's realy bringing Fifth Gear down for me.

Nothing in this ep really grabbed me. Best part of it was all the shots of Vicki's ass.

Spo0Bo said:
The rest of the show was entertaining. Although I still hate the price shoot-out. It's allways the cheaper car that wins. It's so odd. I would imagine Tiff beeing able to handle the RW BMW on a damp track. At least get a better time then a silly FW R32.
The R32 is 4WD not FW and the BMW did beat the R32 by 0.1 sec.

I didnt get much sleep the past few days, due to independence day here in the states; I downloaded this episode, and boy! did I sleep well after that!

ViperGTS-R said:
...Also didn't VBH look 10 years older in this ep than in the previous ones?

That seems to happen to people in the closet....

:twisted:

janstett said:
Blind_Io said:
As for the Honda Legend. I am pretty sure that the "Acrua" badge only exists in North America to get away from the stigma of Honda being a "budget" car. They don't want their high end cars to have an H on the front. No where else in the world has the tradition that US makers do of having the same car badged as a Ford, Mercury and Lincon even though it's just a different trim package.

There's some value to it. Ask Volkswagen about the Phaeton sales.

There's a lot of stigma attached to some brands. My boss was in the market for a luxury SUV (like BMW X5) and refused to consider the Toureg no matter how good it was because it was a VW.

yea the phaeton isnt being sold in Canada and the US anymore because of such low sales

I liked the Mega Web bit.. that was cool and so was the C6. The Radford bit, I thought was pointless and I wasn't really intrigued about the Merc for some reason. The Acura RL isn't selling well in Canada since it's priced at Cdn$70k (69...something). The old RL sold for $55,000 exactly so yeah, a $15,000 price jump is quite a bit.

Kinda boring episode, but remember the stig also did a faster time in the R32 .. I've driven both the Golf and the BMW. And i can only agree with JC.. The r32 is as good as the 130i is bad..

Scud said:
Then Why do you watch it?

When ever FG does something fun you all cry it's a rip off from TG.

agreed. if you dont like it, then dont watch FG : p its that simple, you can all watch TG and whack off to jeremy clarkson instead.

i rekon this week's FG was quite good, the 130i v.s R32 shoot out was good, alot more informative than topgear's review on those 2 cars. Citroen C6 segment was brilliant. Vicky's segment was boring as usual, and the mercedes segment in the end was seriously lame..

jason's review was very informative, personally i think that segment is excellent. He reviewd on all the nifty features on the Honda Legend, including the new 4WD system, all the comments were spot on, and unbiased.

overall, not a bad episode... could be a bit better

thejaredhuang said:
peter3hg2 said:
The R32 is 4WD not FW and the BMW did beat the R32 by 0.1 sec.

IIRC, the BMW lost by 0.1 seconds.
Sorry my fault. I wasn't really watching the episode, it was sorta just on in the background.

I don't know if the 130i in the UK is sold with a limited slip diff (couldn't find it on the options list on www.bmw.co.uk)....i doubt the car on the show had it since there was a lot of tire smoke when accelarating out of the corner on the inner wheel. Otherwise the BMW would have been faster and beaten the fat VW.