1.2ghz Dell for $2000 = FAIL (IMO)

darkshark0159

Car(s)
Mercedes-Benz C240 W203, British Rail Class 450
3-17-09adamo.jpg

Introducing Dell's new Adamo 13.

Engadget said:
After months of drawn-out buildup, the Adamo endgame has played out pretty damn fast: we had pricing and box pictures leak just about an hour ago, and now Dell's officially announced the first machine in the Adamo line, the 13.4-inch model we saw at CES. Sadly, it sounds like beauty is only aluminum-skin deep here: that hot little case holds a 1.2GHz Core 2 Duo U9300 with integrated Intel X4500 graphics, 2GB of RAM, and a 128GB SSD, and it all weighs four pounds -- a pound more than the MacBook Air. Not exactly a barnstormer, especially for $1,999 -- it looks like you're spending the majority of that cash on high-end design flourishes like a magnetic cover that hides the Microsoft-required Windows authenticity sticker.

Honestly, that is pathetic. Not to sound like a fanboi, but why would anyone buy that over a MacBook Air, which is a lot better and cheaper (not to mention the many well-speced PC notebooks in this price range)? It's not exactly a looker (IMO), despite Dell's best efforts, and I just don't see where this can fit in to the laptop market, especially in this economy. Even if you're still rich and just want to look cool, you'll probably go MBA over this ridiculous thing.

Last edited:
This should end the "Macs are overpriced" argument.

If Dell thinks *this* is worth $2K... especially when you *know* that if you have a problem, you're going to be talking to Checklist Chaundra in New Delhi....

good looking and thats about it, 1.2 Ghz in the current day and age? What were they thinking?

Last edited:
I guess the biggest cost is the HD. The MBA with SSD costs $2,500.
Edit: actually you can get a regular MB with 128GB SSD and processor with twice the Ghz's for less, and it's half a pound more.

But yeah, 1.2Ghz? No thanks.

Last edited:
That's ridiculous, plain and simple.

but it is teh pretty. People like pretty things, no?

Dell has been charging WAY too much for "special editions" so this is no surprise
what IS a surprise though, is that they expect to sell any at all...it doesn't beat the Macbook on anything and is more expensive.

Personally I wouldn't buy either, I'd get something small and cool, and save 1500$ to buy something useful, like 6000 jawbreakers... :roll:

The best part is that you can get the extra awesome version, with 2GB more RAM and a .2GHz proc bump for a mere $700. I do like this thing and was looking forward to it, but the price is just unbelievable.

lol wut
So it's basically got the power of netbook, way too big to USE as a netbook, and 2000$?

128Gb SSD is the reason why this laptop is so expensive.

This should end the "Macs are overpriced" argument.

If Dell thinks *this* is worth $2K... especially when you *know* that if you have a problem, you're going to be talking to Checklist Chaundra in New Delhi....

It doesn't end the "Macs are overpriced" argument but starts a new one, "What happened to Michael Dell?".

1.2GHz and Windows Vista? o_O

:lmao:

Yeah, that must be killer.

I've tried out the 1.6GHz Atom based HP MiniNote and I'd honestly jump off the roof of my building if I had to use that for any amount of time.

A 1.2GHz Core2 Due can handle Vista no problem, it's miles ahead of the Atom in terms of performance, regardless of clock speed. I agree that this thing is way overpriced, but it's far from being a netbook.

:blink:
umm... it's a dell.

Well I know when I hear "overpriced garbage" when talking about computers apple instantly comes into my head

:rofl:

.... ctrl+tabs back to apple and continues to contemplate buying one.

Quick search on Newegg only puts them around $300 though.

You can't say that the rest of the thing is worth $1,699, especially with those specs?

Another search on newegg shows you won't get a laptop with a solid state drive for less than ~2k and only 64 gig models. Same with the solid state air

Mr. Neg Rep said:
Good going, asshole. You post an article about a laptop unlike anything on the market (for good or bad) but no mention of battery life?

Thank you for your polite input. I didn't think it was worth considering, but if you'd like to know, Dell claims a 5 hour maximum. For comparison, the more powerful MacBook Air claims a 4.5 hour battery, and HP's also more powerful VooDoo Envy seems to have a real world battery life of 3.5-4 hours. That doesn't exactly make the Dell a world apart. Also, I read the Engadget article BEFORE Dell released their official specs, so I was just going on what Engadget posted. I don't even know if the battery info was out at the time of my typing.