Ownership Verified: 1.6 Liters of gayness... '90 MX-5

Nice one!
I loved those wheels. :)

AM I only the only one who noticed the 240Z and Ford fat fender in the background?

What you're not seeing is the OTHER 240z back there. Those all belong to my land lord, he's going to fix them up for his daughters as their first cars. The 46 ford is his tow vehicle/work truck.

What you're not seeing is the OTHER 240z back there. Those all belong to my land lord, he's going to fix them up for his daughters as their first cars. The 46 ford is his tow vehicle/work truck.

What about the minivan? :p

The flyin miata braces essentially emulate all the ones on the 2001 sport package, though I've heard the butterfly brace is pointless, especially with a roll bar.
I disagree. My '94 M Edition (which is for sale *hint*) already had a roll bar before I added the Butterfly Brace. Before, I ran my shocks on the same settings all around. Now, I run the rear shocks two settings lower, otherwise I have a drift car. You should've seen my first drive to work after adding the brace, and before I figured out the new shock settings.

Oh, and -1 to you for not posting at least one picture of the good-looking young woman who sold you the car. :p

What about the minivan? :p

It's my dads and has 200k miles on it and other than having the gauges wig out at 200,005k everything works on it and hasn't been a problem. :dunno:

I disagree. My '94 M Edition (which is for sale *hint*) already had a roll bar before I added the Butterfly Brace. Before, I ran my shocks on the same settings all around. Now, I run the rear shocks two settings lower, otherwise I have a drift car. You should've seen my first drive to work after adding the brace, and before I figured out the new shock settings.

Oh, and -1 to you for not posting at least one picture of the good-looking young woman who sold you the car. :p

Well that's good to know. I've been reading that the frame rails do most of the benefits, the butterfly section of it isn't so significant. I worded that bit rather incorrectly. I'm still gonna get the whole assembly. My car needs all the help it can get, it doesn't even have the front subframe brace 1.8l cars get.

What spring/damper combo you running, how do you like it compared to anything else you may have had or have been in?

OH and I can't post any pictures of the girl/woman on account that I came to this conclusion after finding a picture (presumably) of her underneath the drivers seat while working on it 6 months ago.

It was formerly an automatic 1.6l owned by some (rather good looking) girl from New Mexico. Unfortunately I'm down on power by about 10-15 compared to the factory manuals. [B]The plus side is I get .5 less compression so I can run more boost when I go turbo[/B] :thumbsup:
[/QUOTE]

Hold on, isn't it down on power because it is leaking compression (hence the .5 less compression) and therefore it will also leak boost?

Hold on, isn't it down on power because it is leaking compression (hence the .5 less compression) and therefore it will also leak boost?

Its not leaking compression, the static compression ratio on automatic cars was lower than the manual cars.

That looks like a fun little Miata thedguy. I've been wanting one for some time, but the winters here might be too much for a flyweight RWD car. Then again, what do they weigh? Having something that can corner so nicely might make it worth it.

AM I only the only one who noticed the 240Z and Ford fat fender in the background?
Nope. I was way more interested in them than some gay ass Miata. ;)

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

That 1.8 (and all the track mods) could be yours...

Well if it's still for sale in February. I'm really on the fence, do I want to dive in to the 1.6 and maybe eventually need to add a 1.8 brakes, and a LSD (Which it really needs). Or just bite the bullet, sell the 1.6 and the 944 (after it's fixed, again) and get a nice 1.8 NA? NB is out of the question, no pop-ups.

That looks like a fun little Miata thedguy. I've been wanting one for some time, but the winters here might be too much for a flyweight RWD car. Then again, what do they weigh? Having something that can corner so nicely might make it worth it.

About 220lbs. My brothes 2500lb bmw 318 was fine in winter, though his had a decent LSD.

Twerp128 said:
What spring/damper combo you running, how do you like it compared to anything else you may have had or have been in?
I'm running Flyin' Miata's hardest race springs and KYB 8-way adjustable shocks, with Jackson Racing sway bars. It's comporable to the 944 I used to run in PCA club racing (with 260# front springs and 28mm gun-drilled torsion bars in the back), and is quicker than my friend's 944 on track days. In fact, only the better Porsches and the occasional Lotus Elise can keep me in sight on the tighter portions of any given track. But since my car is still stock from air filter to exhaust tip, everybody leaves me on the long straights. And guess where passing is allowed at almost every track event... the <bleep>ing straights.

Well if it's still for sale in February. I'm really on the fence, do I want to dive in to the 1.6 and maybe eventually need to add a 1.8 brakes, and a LSD (Which it really needs). Or just bite the bullet, sell the 1.6 and the 944 (after it's fixed, again) and get a nice 1.8 NA? NB is out of the question, no pop-ups.

I'll let you know, as it I won't advertise it until after Christmas at the earliest. As you know, being an M Edition, it comes with the LSD.

And mine doesn't pop-up much, as I did the quad-headlight conversion. Makes it look snarky, and you can see where you're going at night.

Talked to a chap today who bought a wrecked Miata with a supercharger. His shop installed the supercharger, then the customer promptly went out and wrecked the car. He didin't remember if it's a 1.6 or a 1.8, but if it's a 1.8, I may be adding a little something to spice the sale.

Last edited:
Its not leaking compression, the static compression ratio on automatic cars was lower than the manual cars.
Oooohh, I didn't knew that! :mrgreen:
And congrats for using "static compression" you anorak!:lol::p

My buddy had a 94 with blizzaks that could get up a driveway, from a stop dead center up the incline, a feat that his parents 330XI couldn't do.

[youtube=BCYi3k2KcSs]gayness[/youtube]

I had to bump this thread with a little more gayness (this is a repost btw).

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/thedguy/2008/12/31/coilovers_001.jpg

Put this in the car today, can't seem to figure out why they've only seemed to add what feels like a few pounds of loose weight in the trunk :p

They'll get installed when I find time and energy to figure out what it takes to shove them on and who/what/where/why on the alignment specs.

Frame rails are installed and I'm awaiting my new top.

I see some one else has been perusing the Miata.net classifieds too, look like TEINS? You gonna eventually go with the complete butterfly brace as well?

Last edited:
I see some one else has been perusing the Miata.net classifieds too, look like TEINS? You gonna eventually go with the complete butterfly brace as well?

Found 'em on craigslist locally. Tein Flex to be exact.

I originally was going to buy the full brace but on 1.6l cars the cat/header flange (IIRC) has to be clearance if using a stock cat. When I figure out what I'm going to do with the exhaust I'll have the brace put on, or find out how much grinding has to be done.

Let us know how those Teins work, every one at the Tire Rack is telling me to go with Racing Beat Springs with Koni adjustables, and a good Racing beat sway bar front and rear for a decent all-round setup.