News: 10 automakers agree to make automatic emergency braking standard in the US

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2023 Mazda CX-5 Premium
Autoblog said:
Car buyers may no longer need to splurge on expensive technology packages to reap the benefits offered by cutting-edge safety systems. Ten major automakers pledged Friday they would soon make crash-prevention technologies like automatic emergency braking available on all new vehicles built. Details are still being ironed out, and a timeline will be established in the months ahead. In a written release, the Department of Transportation said the agreement will be implemented "as soon as possible." The ten automakers are Audi, BMW, Ford, General Motors, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Tesla,Toyota, Volkswagen, and Volvo.

Evidence has mounted that demonstrates these crash-prevention systems can make a major difference in preventing or mitigating the severity of accidents, and the federal government has spent the past few months urging automakers to spread safety features throughout their vehicle lineups. Federal officials have pointedly said they should be available for all drivers, not only the ones who can afford them.

"Safety isn't a competitive advantage," said National Highway Traffic Safety Administration chief Mark Rosekind, speaking earlier this summer. "You never see the star rating on the side of an airliner when you board. ... Our responsibility is to ensure these innovations achieve their life-saving potential. That means making sure innovations are focused squarely on safety and widely distributed."

Until Friday, auto manufacturers may have disagreed on whether safety packages made for competitive advantages. But ten agreed to make automatic braking standard on all new vehicles, and those ten represented 57 percent of light-duty vehicle sales in the US market in 2014. The DOT said Friday's agreement represented a "historic commitment."

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/11/...c-braking-standard/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

Press Release: http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press+Releases/2015/nhtsa-iihs-commitment-on-aeb-09112015

The IIHS making "Front Crash Prevention" technologies a part of their Top Safety Pick criteria have made getting forward collision warning and/or automatic emergency braking easier on lower end models.

The IIHS is also involved in this agreement and will be working with NHTSA and the 10 automakers.

There's also different levels of automatic emergency braking with lower cost systems working usually only at city speeds.

Last edited:
Until it snows.

Even still, it'll reduce the severity of any crash, even if it's just a few MPHes.

And the price of any new car from these makers just went up $2500-4000.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure people will figure out how to remotely trip the automatic braking system, probably with a cheap radar or lidar jammer pod. Can't wait to see what happens when that gets out. :D

Remind me to get my next car before this is industry wide- and never sell it.

More like ten automakers realize they can sell the AEB systems they already developed for achieving maximum Euro-NCAP results to Americans as well.

The (simple) laser based system Toyota use cost 300 dollars for the customer.

Last edited:

AEB is standard on an 8970? (list price, can be had for 7k? new in reality) base-trim Skoda shoe. You're telling me a third (half) of that is the AEB?

Last edited:
No, I'm saying they are going to use it as an excuse to raise prices significantly. The industry is about 60/40 on doing that here.

No, I'm saying they are going to use it as an excuse to raise prices significantly. The industry is about 60/40 on doing that here.

Didn't happen over here, are car makers not trying to make a profit / screw the consumer over here?

Don't these systems only work when going under 20MPH?

I can't wait for the court case when someone plows into the back of a truck doing 100MPH+ "Your honour, it says automatic emergency braking"

Unless there all automakers in the US is in a big cartel then no prices won't go up. People will expect cars to have AEB. In the car magasine I subscribe to cars sold without AEB are already virtually disqualified from being nominated "top pick". It's the biggest safety improvement since seatbelts because it mitigates the crash force.

But while we're at it we need to sort out the naming. Every car manufacturer have given this technology their own trademark name. That needs to stop because it's confusing. Everyone should use the terms AEB City and AEB Interurban, just as we use ESC and ABS.

The current naming shenanigans have fooled customers into believing they had AEB when they do not. See below example from Audi, try to make out which one of these has AEB-functionality:

• Audi adaptive cruise control with Stop&Go including Audi pre sense front
    [*]Audi assistance pack including Audi pre sense plus

Not even Audi retailers could say.

Pre sense plus applies the brakes automatically. Pre sense front only warns the driver via an audible tone.

Last edited:
10 automakers agree to make automatic emergency braking standard in the US

Didn't happen over here, are car makers not trying to make a profit / screw the consumer over here?

No idea, but they used the TPMS and ESC mandates to significantly increase vehicle prices here. Combined, the average price hike was between $2500-4000 depending on segment.

I can't wait for the court case when someone plows into the back of a truck doing 100MPH+ "Your honour, it says automatic emergency braking"

I have to agree it is inevitable because heaven forbid someone do something stupid and have to live with the consequences of their own idiocy.

No idea, but they used the TPMS and ESC mandates to significantly increase vehicle prices here. Combined, the average price hike was between $2500-4000 depending on segment.

Said 8970? (7000?) Skoda has both TPMS and ESC as standard, from bottom-feeder naked trim level. There's no cost left over for the car itself :no:

Edit: Minor correction, the auto-braking thing isn't actually standard as the site makes you believe. It's a 150? option...

Last edited:
Great!
More reason for people to pay even less attention when driving. Woohoo...

Said 8970? (7000?) Skoda has both TPMS and ESC as standard, from bottom-feeder naked trim level. There's no cost left over for the car itself :no:

Edit: Minor correction, the auto-braking thing isn't actually standard as the site makes you believe. It's a 150? option...
You're looking at the Citigo? "City Safe Drive" City AEB included in base price ("Ambition), 110600 SEK here... Which is way more than ?7000 of course. What kind of Skoda can you get for ?7000?

Volvo City Safety (the Volvo umbrella name for both City AEB and Interurban AEB) is active at all speeds in it's most recent incarnation (in the XC90), it will completely stop the car up to 50 km/h.

Last edited:
Cars cost significantly less over here than where you are, narf. I wouldn't doubt the industry passing on "the saving" (cough) to the consumer wherever possible. It's def conceivable,

Last edited:
This is going to cause a lot of accidents. The cars will slam on the brakes farther away from cars than people normally stop in tight traffic. This will cause a chain reaction that will see the cars 3-4 back slamming into each other because each one tried desperately to stop quicker than the one in front. Watch S20E05 and see how the car slams on its own brakes like 8 feet from the hedge, stopping a good 5ft away. People don't stop that far from each other in heavy traffic.

Great!
More reason for people to pay even less attention when driving. Woohoo...

These may keep those that are not paying attention to the road from killing others that are. I want an electric shock to occur each time this activates though.

This is going to cause a lot of accidents. The cars will slam on the brakes farther away from cars than people normally stop in tight traffic. This will cause a chain reaction that will see the cars 3-4 back slamming into each other because each one tried desperately to stop quicker than the one in front. Watch S20E05 and see how the car slams on its own brakes like 8 feet from the hedge, stopping a good 5ft away. People don't stop that far from each other in heavy traffic.

Please educate yourself before posting nonsense. Then again posting nonsense seems to be all you do.

Reactions: MWF