10 sportscars for under 10k? : which would you pick?

Funny how we've had the most nominations for what is probably the heftiest, least sportscar like car on your list.

true. and true. But still the most severely awesome.

1996 Toyota MR2's can be had for around $6,000 now.

That's the one I'd get.

Of that list, probably the MX-5 (I don't care for the 8 series, prefer the older 6 series).

However, I'd seriously be looking at later R33 Skyline GTS-T's on that sort of money here (which are common as muck, stock ones are harder to find). You can get R34's under $20,000 now.

I have owned three of the 10 and driven the other seven. The 2003 updated MR2 is a real hoot. The previous SLK is also fun. Don't mind the Audi TT.

I have owned three of the 10 and driven the other seven. The 2003 updated MR2 is a real hoot. The previous SLK is also fun. Don't mind the Audi TT.

so...which one is best?

I'd get the 8 series BMW. You dont see them often (in fact I've never seen one in person), and a V12 to boot. However I've never driven one, and have heard some non too flattering stories about their overall quality.

Most journalists didn't like how it wasn't sport y or grunty enough for them, though it was never really meant to be a sports car. The one done up by the M division(850 Csi) wasn't called the M8 because it was never intended to live up to M standards they wouldn't put their name on fluff like that. Its fast, comfy, handles decently and was/is super advanced(stuff like the sills gripping the window when its up to reduce wind noise at speed). Don't go for an 850i. those really were sub par. the V8 840 is pretty good and if you find an 840 Ci Sport be sure to grab it cuz thats the one that would be closest to an M8. also don't be fooled by 850s with M badges. The Ci had the M sport package option which didn't do much of anything besides the badges. Its very not a Csi. Oh and the ones with the electronic weird rear strut thingies, avoid those. They WILL fail if the haven't already and'll cost asstons to replace

^ But back in the day it was the least attainable one, which makes it more of a dream car than an MX-5, which can be found in front of every hairdresser's shop.

One day i will buy a manly sports car and ruin it for all of you (yes, I am a hairdresser)

I'd get the 850 but never drive it, I wouldn't be able to afford. But I don't care, it's like a work of art. (I saw a reeeeeeal nice mint 635 (the old one) today....)

I'm jealous. I love the E24 6er, but I've never seen a really nice one, although I have seen some decent ones.

But yeah, I'd also take the BMW 8.

I'd get the 850 but never drive it, I wouldn't be able to afford. But I don't care, it's like a work of art. (I saw a reeeeeeal nice mint 635 (the old one) today....)

What color and where have you seen it?

Oh yeah, I win this thread! :dance:

Last edited:
What color and where have you seen it?

Oh yeah, I win this thread! :dance:

lol, black, but I doubt it was you, it had rosenheim plates, and was near rosenheim. :D

PS: what part of munich are you at? (I need to know so I can come and kill you and steal your cars...)

Hmm not sure about a factory five cobra for $14k. You'll be spending $13K just on the base kit and that doesn't include all the tempting little goodies you can add onto your order. Plus you'll need a donor car for some of the things you can't get with the kit. My friend has a Dayton Coupe and he's got $20K in it and it hasn't even been put together yet! :lol:

https://factoryfiveparts.com/orderform/roadster/base/orderform.html

I love the 8-series, but there is no way in hell you will find a decent one for that price, so I'm skipping it. The 300ZX is a real possibility, as is the MX5 - but I can't fit in one. The Alfa can't be found in the US.

I think I would try to scrape up some extra scratch and go for a better 8-series. I do love that car.

I'd buy an Integra Type-R, honestly, but if I had to choose from that list, it would be the MX-5.

The MR2, definitely. I'd give it a turbo, call it frank and drive it to the end of the world. It really is surprisingly true, that in todays car market 10k? buys you anything you need.

And as a sidenote, does anyone find the old SLK's rear just hideous? I find it has a strange resemblance to a Volvo's rear end, which can't be a good thing.

Last edited:
I'm so bored with new cars i don't think i'd buy any of those, although if i had to choose the MR2 might work. I know i love SVXs but i don't know if it would be big enough of a change. I also love Alfas but i'm not convinced i need a FWD Alfa.

TT is rock solid (especially the 1.8t is easily tunable stable), so is MX5 and MR2.

8 series is cool, but you pay your ass off in repairs and they break. So do the Alfas and MGs. Smart is too small for someone like me, Subaru is meh (a neighbour strangely has one over here), slk 1 is not really sporty in the basic engines.

Does it have to be from your list? I wouldnt mind the 300ZX, but I also wouldn't mind any of the following:

Honda Civic/CRX del Sol
Honda Prelude
Toyota Supra (N/A or High mileage...or both)
Lexus SC300 (aka Supra)
BMW Z3