10 sportscars for under 10k? : which would you pick?

Though for the converted $14k (none of your crappy Monopoly money there :p) you could get one of these:

1.jpg

Factory Five Coupe.

This. :cool:

That particular model of GT V6 is FWD

Ah. but there's RWD model as well.. and RWD>FWD always. well, Lupo GTi might be exception..:mrgreen:

I'd say MX-5. Even the second gen like that one. Specifically the Mazdaspeed MX-5 would be the ideal choice (obviously) but I don't think that's even available in the UK is it (was only out here in the US for 2004 and 2005)? Regardless... it's a lightweight and agile RWD turbocharged roadster.... and you can find them for $15k USD with really low miles.

THAT = :D

(I may be a bit biased, btw)

Last edited:
Hi, first posting...

I would probably take the MR2, but the Alfa looks very nice, can't get it in the US though.

You can also pick up a 92-99 BMW M3 for that price, at least in the US... I'd go for around a '97 or '98, probably find one with less than 50,000 miles for 10-12 grand US. and you could get one in near mint condition for $14,000-15,000.

At the current exchange that's $13,568USD...

I'd buy one of these...

90346653_6.jpg

... probably not in Yellow, I'd rather Blue or Green...

Source

1.) Lancia Delta is turbocharged 4WD Fiat, with same reliability.
2.) early turbocharged car.. lag city.
3.) funny though, I agree with you on this. Alfa + V6 + RWD = win.;)

So you're suggesting that the Alfa is more reliable than the Lancia? May be but it doesen't have quite that much grunt. And one more thing...i live in Romania...we are used here to mending Ferraris with a piece of string so a turbocharged 4WD Fiat - no problem! :lol:. And about the turbocharger on the renault r5...nobody said it must be the stock one :mrgreen: . If you're lucky enough to find one in good shape and have quite a few spare euros that can be changed.

That generation of MR-2 was never sold in Canada, and as far as I know, are still illegal to import. I would love one though.

My second pick... well:
<---

2.) early turbocharged car.. lag city.

So? Lag will only make a difference if you are planning to race the car. For everyday driving, I actually think it's kinda cool to feel the turbo building up :)

So? Lag will only make a difference if you are planning to race the car. For everyday driving, I actually think it's kinda cool to feel the turbo building up :)

Funny thing is, the lag is more problematic on the streets than the track.

Older Saab's are notorious for causing trouble for unaccustomed drivers to left turns in high traffic area's. They expect there to be power, hit the throttle and get nothing and just as they are about to get creamed the boot kicks in and they spin the wheels... and then get creamed by on coming cars.

Lag =/= cool in anyway.

Drivers who cant adapt their driving technique to counter turbo lag should not be allowed to drive.

Drivers who cant adapt their driving technique to counter turbo lag should not be allowed to drive.

The lag shouldn't exist in the first place - yes you can adapt to suit it, but you shouldn't have to. Power should be progressive - lag just means the manufacturer couldn't get it right.

PopupViewer1.aspx

I quickly checked ebay and found this little gem for a Buy it Now price of $12,000, which is only around 8000 euros. 99 Boxster, 63K miles, easily trumps any car on the original list for me.

As for that Factory Five Roadster, there's no way on God's green earth you can build that for 14 grand. That's just the cost of the basic kit. In other words, you'll just be getting your credit card warmed up! Usually folks spend mid-20's to mid 30's by the time they've built a nice Cobra replica, and that's doing the work yourself.

Its pretty brainless choice for me.
GTV or the NB MX5 IF its a 1800 CC Manual. (nb8c model)

the Alfa is all about passion, soul and pain. It shows people that you dont care about depreciations or breaks down or 5 years waiting time for parts cause all the italians are on holiday or striking.
it shows people that you are not 'just another guy trying to get chicks with a cheap sports car that doesnt look cheap'. cause honestly, how many chick have you met that goes 'Mmm you drives an Alfa, yes i know you are full of soul and passion and i will sleep with you Mmmmm'

The MX5 however, IMO, is the best british sports car ever made (yea i know its not made in the UK). Its very nice to drive, even thou it looks gay to be honest.

The MR2 is just a porsche wanna be, the 8series is huge long ugly and expensive to drive, smart is stupid, TT is a big shoe, SLK looks old, MG looks cheap, SVX you need to kill for parts, and the 300ZX is a datsun for Americans.

So yeah that sums up my POV that no one will care :p

How do i know? Cause i had a Spider and a MX5.. :p

Funny thing is, the lag is more problematic on the streets than the track.

Older Saab's are notorious for causing trouble for unaccustomed drivers to left turns in high traffic area's. They expect there to be power, hit the throttle and get nothing and just as they are about to get creamed the boot kicks in and they spin the wheels... and then get creamed by on coming cars.

Lag =/= cool in anyway.

At what RPM do they hit boost ?

to the people with a factory 5 coupe as their "dream car for 15k"
WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING, and can I have some?

Srsly? if you're buying a car like this, it should also be your daily driver, and I kinda like cars with a roof and all that luxury stuff. And some sort of way of keeping me alive in a crash...

Still Smart Roadster for me, even with all of the other alternatives in this thread. It just does everything, ticks all the right boxes for me...

NO idea, this is just what I've heard from people that owned 'em and read in reviews of them for years. Many of the reviews IIRC said near 3k

Thats not that bad. I read in a magazine before that a WRX is pretty slow under 3000rpm and that was before the turbo kicked in.

A classic-shape 900 Aero is 100 million billion times cooler than a WRX, though. :cool:

Thats not that bad. I read in a magazine before that a WRX is pretty slow under 3000rpm and that was before the turbo kicked in.

Depending on which one. I know the Aussie market 2.0 turbo sti's had complaints of large amounts of lag, at least by some mags. All the WRX's I've ridden/driven all had PLENTY of response/torque/lack-of-lag below 2000 rpms even.