Someone Else's Problem: 1000lbs. Lighter! 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Your kids can smoke while you smoke!
Ashtrays were the cupholders of yonder, it's amazing how many they were able to fit just about every car. But you know, smoking is good for you. That's why more doctors smoke CAMELS than any other cigarette.

Last edited:
I knew the power output was low but, damn. I need to fix that.
Not telling you not to add power, but it's a family truckster. Highway cruiser. Doesn't need to really rip. I bet the 3.55s liven it up though.

Looks like a sweet ride man. My Volvo wagon fucking converted me. I'm a believer now haha. Someday I'd like one like yours or Lucille. Or another 240 wagon with a v8 swap.

Ashtrays were the cupholders of yonder, it's amazing how many they were able to fit just about every car. But you know, smoking is good for you. That's why more doctors smoke CAMELS than any other cigarette.
:lol: I can remember, as a kid, going on family vacations in my uncles '80s Suburban. Its a good thing vehicles used to have so many ashtrays. Otherwise my family probably would've lit half of Kansas and Colorado on fire flicking butts out the windows.

Lucille's got a driver and passenger ashtray in front. Given her width, it somehow makes sense, but it's still weird. Anyways, the driver's ashtray houses the mp3 player connected to the stock AM radio, so it has it's use even today.

Since we already have one Lucile, this will be Wilma. :p

I vote for calling it Mellow.

Mercury Colony Wagon

Or Mellow Park. if it must use all the names.

Is that.... 12v socket with personal lighter in it for each kid??!?!?! :blink: I thought i knew luxury levels of trim...

...Or another 240 wagon with a v8 swap.

Windsor 351 Boss 745 GL With T56. Is a dream of my very life.

...Or 164 with 340 Flathead, if we're talking pimp-mobiles.:cool:

I vote for calling it Melon.

Mercury Colony Wagon

It's like a lemon, mixed up and bigger. Plus full of other people's seeds...

Fixed

Does it have a third row seat?

1000lbs. Lighter! 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Does it have a third row seat?

It does! But the seat belt isn't big enough for me back there. Everywhere else is fine though.

Is that.... 12v socket with personal lighter in it for each kid??!?!?! :blink: I thought i knew luxury levels of trim...

Some of the conversion vans of the late '80s and early '90s actually gave you more lighters than seats. The 1992 Chevy 20 Mark III conversion my grandparents had for example: 7 seats but 8 lighters and a pair of additional 12v sockets with dummy plugs. Two of those lighters were mounted in the cargo doors and only meant to be accessed when parked, but still ridiculous.

Captain_Whine said:
Windsor 351 Boss 745 GL With T56. Is a dream of my very life.
Now that'd be sweet. The flathead though? :lol: Man that would be slow.

Quote Originally Posted by GRtak View Post

I vote for calling it Melon.

Mercury Colony Wagon

It's like a lemon, mixed up and bigger. Plus full of other people's seeds...

:rofl:

The key holes I believe are supposed to light up.

The key holes I believe are supposed to light up.

As an aside the Doloshites have an ashtray in each door card, but the lighter was an optional extra in the 1300. The 1850's front ashtrays are also larger than the 1300's, for reasons.

Your children don't smoke? Peasant!

Idunhawtem!:cry: I will make them smoke! And drink too! Pleeeeeasecanihaveacarwith door sockets?:rolleyes:

Some of the conversion vans of the late '80s and early '90s actually gave you more lighters than seats. The 1992 Chevy 20 Mark III conversion my grandparents had for example: 7 seats but 8 lighters and a pair of additional 12v sockets with dummy plugs. Two of those lighters were mounted in the cargo doors and only meant to be accessed when parked, but still ridiculous.

They knew world is coming to diePhone century!

Now that'd be sweet. The flathead though? :lol: Man that would be slow.

Well, i'ma lowridah, man. I'm one living with the policy "big bewbs aren't for milking, but ownership pleasure". Can't beat Flathead's sound, you know that ;)

Last edited:
:lol: They sound good man, but there's some angrier V8s I like the sound of more.

Your kids may not smoke, but with all those 12v outlets, they can at least charge their phones...

Right? I don't understand why cars don't have 12v sockets in the doors now!

Because it is more complex than running through the interior someplace, and kids stuff things in the strangest places. A coin or foil wrapper in there, and there goes a fuse. At some point, I expect the "12 volt outlet" that is based on the old cigarette lighter style will get a redesign to take up less space and be able to have a positive lock too.

Lots of cars are already offering USB ports for charging as well as or in place of a traditional 12v outlet.