Someone Else's Problem: 1000lbs. Lighter! 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Because it is more complex than running through the interior someplace, and kids stuff things in the strangest places. A coin or foil wrapper in there, and there goes a fuse. At some point, I expect the "12 volt outlet" that is based on the old cigarette lighter style will get a redesign to take up less space and be able to have a positive lock too.

There have already been several attempts to do so, with varying results. Mostly they seem to have failed at replacing the 'lighter outlet' style; here are a couple of the more successful.

BMW 12V (mostly) motorcycle power plug:
large_img.php

SAE 12V connector:
54578d1347395986-sae-connector-saeconnector.jpg

In the end, these have been relegated to the motorcycle niche markets and the automobile market as a whole has pretty much just ignored them. At this point there doesn't look to be a redesign from the 12V lighter socket coming any time soon; the power outlet that actually does seem to have the best chance of supplanting it isn't 12V but 5V USB.

Lots of cars are already offering USB ports for charging as well as or in place of a traditional 12v outlet.

Sure, that is also part of the evolution of power outlets in cars. There is still a need for and a simple way to provide 12 volts directly. I just see the outlet changing at some point to allow more amperage for things like power convertors. It will be made to take up less space and become less vulnerable to things like a coin in the outlet. Hell, at some point there may even be the need for a negative voltage(+ & - from same plug with a ground and your device wired to use what it needs), things we don't even see the need for now that will impact it.

Last edited:
BMW 12V (mostly) motorcycle power plug:
large_img.php

That's not just a BMW motorcycle thing. Those are very common, and have been since I was a kid. They're popular in boats, especially.

I've never seen that SAE connector before though.

The only upside of the lighter jack connector is the fact that you can fit a lot of the electronics inside the actual outlet. Like... an entire power adapter with dual USB jacks. I don't really understand why all makes and models of USB adapters aren't as small as that Griffin one, whatever it's called.

That SAE connecter was fairly popular on the other end of electronic devices. For example, we had a portable TV when I was a kid that used that in the TV and the other end was a normal cigarette plug.

A coin or foil wrapper in there, and there go few allowance weeks. At some point every kid would figure out what's wrong to do with daddy's car

Fixed :D

But on the other hand... USB-lighter conversion would be more effective thing, since everything became usb-powered theese days + Kids will holly their usb ports :D

Still... I WANNA pump my wheels from door socket! :cool: That's seeeeew faenceh!

So, either this perticular 302 is quiet or I've got some other issue. I ordered a new over the axle tail pipe for a Grand Marquis. I plan to cut a small portion off the back and elbow to the side so I can roll the back window down and not poison myself. I line up the tail pipe on the ground and immediately spot a problem. The muffler currently on the wagon is too big. As in, the tail pipe I just got ends about 1/4 of the way up the muffler. So, I take the muffler off with care and I decided to fire up the wagon and see how it sounds. To my surprise, barely a change it sound. Something tells me I have a clog somewhere(read, catalytic converters). The thing feels slow but when you get on it, it felt like there wasn't much of a change besides the transmission kicking down.

Clogged cat-cons are very common for the old 5.0.

Sounds like a perfect time to get an X-pipe with free flow cats and Magnaflow mufflers in a true dual rig.

I've got a buddy that is pulling his OEM H pipe off his Country Squire that I can use.

That would work, get some universal free flow cats to bolt up to them and some Magnaflows and you'll be good to go.

Went to my first car show with her!

Some old guy with his Malibu said it's probably more rare than his car. Which, he might be right. It was a great time, a lot of people liked it. :)

I'm jealous, i want a car like that too, had something similar but.. it was just not fixabe for me with my lack of skill. :/

Looks really nice with the wood panels and everything too :p

I took my land boat to launch the water boat today!

Good times.

1000lbs. Lighter! 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Earlier this week when I got the correct length hitch to attach to the receiver, I set out the get the trailer wiring figured out., I went to advance auto and got a length of trailer wiring with a plug on one side. I open up the side compartment where the jack would be stored (IF I HAD ONE!). Next, I opened the access door for the brake light housing, lo and behold there's this 8 pin plug dangling there, my best guess is trailer harness. I broke out the full size wiring diagrams and find the plug and confirm my suspicions. Off to advance auto I go. Turns out, all the local shops, and online vendors like etrailer.com only had a universal adapter that requires you to splice into the brake light wiring. The local advance auto guys have been wonderful to deal with and trying to help out in any way they can. But, there is no way that I'm hacking up the wiring on this beauty of a vehicle. So off the eBay I went.

I found a guy that still had a brand new trailer wiring harness adapter. I got it this morning. The harness is wired to tow a pretty hefty trailer should I need to. It has the normal turn signal, stop, running light wires and ground but, I also have outputs for brake control, constant 12v and charging power. Seems a bit overkill for a wagon or even the sedans this harness is for!

Last edited:
What is the Melon rated to tow? I know I have pulled trailers with brakes on a car of similar size without any problems. (74 Pontiac Catalina and 75 Buick Electra)

They say 5,000 lbs but the receiver I have say it's rated for 3,500.

Well, you bought the light duty receiver. It is more than enough for most small trailers and loads.

I didn't buy it, it was given to me from the PO's.