Someone Else's Problem: 1000lbs. Lighter! 1987 Mercury Colony Park

But I like the Michael Winslow noise!
1614700779293.jpeg

I should've gone gear reduction since I bought mine.

AFA719E9-7C2B-4348-A7E4-03E7BFBA07EC.jpeg

And washed. Last years bugs finally washed off and refueled for the first time this year.

7D3C90D9-A132-49CE-8CF2-477E6A563768.jpeg

Oh, just in time for spring, the rear brake line for the passenger brake drum has done something. NEW STEEL and the pedal sunk to the floor as I was going to take hank for a ride tonight...

Noticed fluid leaking, said fuck it, parked it, and I'll take a look when I'm in a better mood tomorrow.

Last edited:
fitting at the wheel cylinder wasn’t right. All good now.

Glad it was a quick fix!
I couldn't be any more angry if I tried. 2 panic stops later to avoid hitting someone blowing traffic lights and it's leaking again. I know what it is now. An amateur flare press causing it to not seal right, not just "oh it isn't tight enough." I hate laying underneath so much and that's what I have to do yet again. I hate jack stands because the car never sits right in them so I'm worried it will fall on me.

A week ago I pulled off the brake hose from the wheel cylinder where the leak was happening and I found nothing. The flared end looked fine, the fitting was tight, yet it leaked. I cut off the end, re-flared it, bled the brakes, and we'll see for now. We're back to a squishy pedal again which of course there's air in the line. I tried my vacuum pump for self bleeding but that didn't seem to help.

I think I put a little over 100mi on it today. Drove to a weird car museum that is the private collection of some wealthy real estate guy, Klairmont Kollections.

The focus was mostly Rolls Royce, Cadillac, and some other typical boomer stuff. The funny thing was there was some workers doing some video promo for a race car and before they finished they were asking people and went into a room I was in and said "WHO OWNS THE STATION WAGON OUTSIDE?" I told him, and the guy goes "that thing is damn cool."

It was nice, all the way down and back I was getting thumbs up, phone cameras and such aimed at the car. :)

Woo, fixed the A/C by applying moar refrigerant to the low pressure line.

So this past Saturday my sister was married to her SO of 3 years yesterday and the wonder wagon played a part in transferring most of the decorations.

5A744CB1-0985-4372-BB75-951339A4FEB8.jpeg

309D02A2-E8B9-4B84-A8E3-214116B7B55E.jpeg

Good car.

Starter motor has been replaced.
4442C759-0AFD-41D5-BCF5-E5D49EE6898C.jpeg

DDF4BD94-00B8-4204-AAC2-F8983CDD81A9.jpeg

And none too soon by the look of it. Start any better?

It sounds like it, less revolutions before it catches. I was worried I was going to lose “the sound” that I liked, but it’s there which probably means it’s not a gear reduction type. It works, I’m happy. Now to get my core charge back.

Just did a hot start after dropping off the old motor. Hot starts are unphased! Suck-cess..

It sounds like it, less revolutions before it catches. I was worried I was going to lose “the sound” that I liked, but it’s there which probably means it’s not a gear reduction type. It works, I’m happy. Now to get my core charge back.

To get gear reduction you would have needed to buy a "mini" starter.

I was worried I was going to lose “the sound” that I liked, but it’s there which probably means it’s not a gear reduction type.

Is it the little "clonk" after it starts? because that means it's indeed a direct drive starter. It's one of the two reasons I haven't gone gear reduction on the Impala...the other being that the original (probably still the 1979 unit for all I know) starter still seems perfectly good at doing its job.

Relevant video for future reference