[10x01] October 7th, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have watched the past couple of episodes of Fifth Gear. I didn't watch it before and supposedly, it got a lot better. Still, it's no where near as good as Top Gear (even the 9th series). I also like the challenges, but I would like to see more car reviews/comparisons. Some people have already said that if you want car reviews, watch Fifth Gear. The only thing better about Fifth Gear is that they have more cars than Top Gear. Imagine Top Gear had their selection? And Fifth Gear reviews are just boring, they hardly ever say anything mean about a car. It's like they're scared of being sued or something. When I watch a Top Gear review it's not only the cars that excite me, it's also what the presenters (especially JC) think about it, and I like Top Gear reviews because they're honest and aren't afraid of being mean about a car. And also Top Gear makes segments a lot better than Fifth Gear because they have a very good production team.

Let's just remember this:

"This is a car program, there we be no cushions, there will be no ragrolling. No one with sing and at the end of the series, no one will have a recording contract. This is our new base, and this is our purpose-built test track. There are no traffic jams here -- well, apart from this one and there are no bus lanes either. This...is Top Gear."

Let's just remember this:

"This is a car program, there we be no cushions, there will be no ragrolling. No one with sing and at the end of the series, no one will have a recording contract. This is our new base, and this is our purpose-built test track. There are no traffic jams here -- well, apart from this one and there are no bus lanes either. This...is Top Gear."

It'll be great if someone sends this to the TG producers. It does not sound like amphibious car challenges to me, or any other bs challenges for that matter. PLEASE no more fucking challenges, shuttle building, crop sowing, tractor reviews, road repairs and cars under $1000.
And its about time they drop the scripts and start improvising a bit more.

Last edited:
FINALLY I AM SO EXCITED AND HAVE BEEN SINCE 9x06, bring it on!

I'm looking forward to it. I like the challenges, but I also like the car reviews. We used to have plenty of both, but now it has gotten a bit out of hand. I like the cheap car challenges, those are good. But the other ones, the road construction, rocket build, etc, are just boring. And when they do do a cheap car challenge, it would be nice if they took it seriously and actually kept score (ie America episode), like they use to do. And yes, get rid of all the excessive scripting. They really don't need it and it does nothing good for the show.

I'm looking forward to it. I like the challenges, but I also like the car reviews. We used to have plenty of both, but now it has gotten a bit out of hand. I like the cheap car challenges, those are good. But the other ones, the road construction, rocket build, etc, are just boring. And when they do do a cheap car challenge, it would be nice if they took it seriously and actually kept score (ie America episode), like they use to do. And yes, get rid of all the excessive scripting. They really don't need it and it does nothing good for the show.

x2 Besides the R8, I doubt they will review any other cars. :( Can't wait to see the second amphibious car challenge though :)

It'll be great if someone sends this to the TG producers. It does not sound like amphibious car challenges to me, or any other bs challenges for that matter. PLEASE no more fucking challenges, shuttle building, crop sowing, tractor reviews, road repairs and cars under $1000.
And its about time they drop the scripts and start improvising a bit more.

No. No. No. They make what the show is. TG is a entertainment show, not just about road testing cars.

^ Read my post above or watch the very beginning of the very first episode of Top Gear (01x01) and you'll see why you're wrong.

I do enjoy the challenges once in a while, but I definitely have a preference to the ones which are strictly car-related. One of the most memorable ones was the 'Italian Supercar on A Budget', great fun there, while still staying true to what Top Gear should be. Things like the completely drawn out tractor bit, or the challenges against boats and planes are alright, but I would like to see Richard and James in cars rather than sipping tea while reading the newspaper on the rails.

I find that when I re-watch old episodes, more and more I'm skipping bits and going straight to the car-related segments. The Zonda F tearing down the runway sends chills down my spine, the F430 with the magnificent operatic music in the background as Clarkson proclaims, "It's epic.", the LP640 screaming along at pants-wetting speeds... Those are the things I absolutely adore about Top Gear, and it's truly a shame that they're seemingly being put on the back burner in favor of dicking about challenges.

Adjust the focus back to the cars, and less on scripted comedy, and I'll be a happy boy once more.

I thought TG would never come back - after what they've shown in past 2 series they've proven that they just ran out of ideas.
All this "chalenges" would be good as a small part of series whare you can get a bit of laugh, but please, don't build whole story on this.
Most of those "funny" challenges should be avoided.

I want my old, good TG back - TG as the best motoring show, not as a poor comedy show.

and car reviews were a bit longer with the lap

The challenges were more like 30 minutes.
Half of the show is still far too long in my opinion, given the frequency with which they do them. If they were spread out more, then sure give it a half hour once every 3 shows or something, but they've become way too common, too scripted, too off topic, and too long for their own good.

Give me back the spirit of this Top Gear:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mq9jPs8TqX8&mode=related&search=

When they actually seemed to care about the cars than scripted laughter.

i think as long as they dont mess with the challenges and have them be non-car related it will be a great season! that Audi R8 test is in my head already =-O

I adore the challenges. Agreed that they may be a tad too frequent, but the show is still absolutely brilliant and I can not wait for it to start. If anything needs to be reduced its the stars in the reasonably priced car - not because I don't know who they are half the time - but because its dull.

Status
Not open for further replies.