[10x01] October 7th, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright its big now

If you want a good car show, watch Fifth Gear. If you want three great blokes cocking around while having fun in cars, watch Top Gear. Clarkson will always be better than Tiff at outrageous behaviour, while Tiff always will be the slightly better reviewer. Be glad there is both.

I really like the challenges. They give a good laugh while it really is great TV. I don't mind a simple honest car review either, but..

Here in Sweden a show like TG probably would be cancelled quite early, especially if it was run by the equivalent of BBC. TG is aired here, but it would never be able to be made here. Swedes are just to simple and boring for that to happen. Fifth Gear on the other hand..

Last edited:
The question is: will Jeremy call the R8 an overgrown Audi TT or a hunkered-down Gallardo?

It'll be great if someone sends this to the TG producers. It does not sound like amphibious car challenges to me, or any other bs challenges for that matter. PLEASE no more fucking challenges, shuttle building, crop sowing, tractor reviews, road repairs and cars under $1000.
And its about time they drop the scripts and start improvising a bit more.

Funny you should say that when the cheap Porsche challenge is widely recognized as being the best Top Gear Episode ever made.

thats not goood too many challenges less real car road tests
it smells like the last season and thats bad...however there is some good news aswell ive seen the first 3 fifthgear episodes and i must say...not too bad...
3cool cars in one episode some funny humor good action ..(well they did have 10 lame minutes but over all its good..)

Let's all just accept that top gear has evolved into a show about automotive culture rather than automotive products.

Anyone who has been to the VW Autostadt in Germany will see my point.

I'm looking forward to the new (tenth) series. Don't know what to expect. I'm going to watch it completely neutral. There isn't anything worse then the wannabe TG car programs on Dutch TV.

Funny you should say that when the cheap Porsche challenge is widely recognized as being the best Top Gear Episode ever made.

I personally don't like the challenges, but I do recognize the fact that other people like them, or used to like them when the TG did one challenge every two season. Lattely however, TG have been doing two-three challenges a series and I think they've ran out of matterial on that one already, hence the repeat of the amphibious car one. They've already done cheap supper car one, cheap Porsche one, amphibious car one, make your own limo one, car vs train, car vs plain, car vs boat(this one is pretty much the only one I liked), cheap american car, cheap regular car or something(Clarkson was driving in a beat up Volvo its all I remember form that one). They've clearly have killed the challenge subject by now. I mean... they've even done a best tractor one in the last series.
This is how Jeremy described TG in season one:
"This is a car program, there we be no cushions, there will be no ragrolling. No one with sing and at the end of the series, no one will have a recording contract. This is our new base, and this is our purpose-built test track. There are no traffic jams here -- well, apart from this one and there are no bus lanes either. This...is Top Gear." It does not sounds to me like show about super cars with a lot of power, not about three cocks goofing around in cars under $1ooo or trying to make a car that's also a boat.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
WHEW! There's sure a lot of hope for this new series & me included. Personally I think if you put these three guys together in whatever format, never mind TG, that it's going to be very funny in some way.

My advice is just wait & see what happens. I do hope that fire they had in one of their prop 'barns' didn't effect what 'is NOW in the show' & 'what was MEANT to be in the show but had to be changed' :|

Still, I'm confident the first ep will be awesome :mrgreen:

Hey, can we have a poll on this?

Question:
Should the upcoming season of Top Gear be a new departure for the series in general?

A/ No. It should be just the same as it always was which is fine by me :mrgreen:
B/ Yes. After Hammonds accident the H&S guys will still have been watching closely :blink:
C/ Well...If the format has changed dramatically then I may not watch TG anymore :cry:

This is only a poll I made up in my head. Maybe someone with a 'better way with words' could do a better one...but that's mine anyways :oops:

Last edited:
^ No, we've had this discussion over and over and friggin' over again - a poll on it would be pointless and just provide one more thread to overflow with people bitching.

^ No, we've had this discussion over and over and friggin' over again - a poll on it would be pointless and just provide one more thread to overflow with people bitching.
:lol:

but seriously,

Top Gear. Deal with it. or dont

I adore the challenges. Agreed that they may be a tad too frequent, but the show is still absolutely brilliant and I can not wait for it to start. If anything needs to be reduced its the stars in the reasonably priced car - not because I don't know who they are half the time - but because its dull.

My god. You just saved me from typing that. QFT on all parts.

WE NEED BALANCE! I miss the show from before Series 8.

"This is a car program, there we be no cushions, there will be no ragrolling. No one with sing and at the end of the series, no one will have a recording contract. This is our new base, and this is our purpose-built test track. There are no traffic jams here -- well, apart from this one and there are no bus lanes either. This...is Top Gear."

Quoted for truth.

If I want to watch a great British comedy show I watch The IT crowd, I would like to to see less cocking and more testing in TG. I still enjoy the show but I enjoyed much more in the past (6th series for instance).

I think one of the main reasons for the challenges might be due to the lack of new supercars, or fast ones for that matter in recent months. Personally I enjoy the show with and without the challenges. The main thing that draws me to the show it the cast interaction and the blending of both cars and humor.

Like most of you, i cant wait for the new season to begin.

I think one of the main reasons for the challenges might be due to the lack of new supercars, or fast ones for that matter in recent months. Personally I enjoy the show with and without the challenges. The main thing that draws me to the show it the cast interaction and the blending of both cars and humor.

Like most of you, i cant wait for the new season to begin.

Lack of supercars? Have you watched the last for episodes of Fifth Gear?

@ fbc,
It's only a poll. If it was done before & people bitching, as you call it, was the outcome then don't participate yourself.

Everyone here has an opinion on TG including you I'm sure. This is a moment though, I think, in TGs development that's different to all the other seasons. It has to do with Hammonds thing & how THAT can't happen again (although there's no accounting for bad luck or incompetence).

I see NO problem in having a poll on a specific issue, whatever it may be....especially for the newer members (me included).

So the question from my previous post still stands. The wording of a question for a poll, however, is the hardest thing to do. I'm no expert in such things. But I gave it a go anyways instead of just 'bitching' about the poll in the first place.

8)

^ You've missed my point - go back over the discussion threads from the last series of TG and you'll see we've already the discussion many times. It goes nowhere, and just has the same people have the same bitch.

So no, we don't need a poll - it will just be a copy of those threads (and to some extent this one).

Status
Not open for further replies.