[10x01] October 7th, 2007

I liked it, I really did. But I wish it wasn't all about THE DRIVE, I hope it was at least as much about the cars as about the drive. And if I called it excellent I'd really have no words to express how much more I liked the three-supercars-on-their-way-to-the-biggest-bridge film from series 7.

And all I'm saying is that I'd be satisfied (yeah) with just "the stig drove all three of them, x was the fastest, y was the slowest"... And now we have no idea if they're worth anything at all. We don't even know how they compare to their normal versions!

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of Top Gear, and I think now is a good time to make my "first" post. I am very impressed by the way the show has progressed since seasons 8 and 9. I am sure the temptation was huge, to attract non-petrolheads, to keep the format of the show...but thankfully Season 10 seems to be the "proper" Top Gear, the kind of season one can watch at least 3 times :p

My first Top Gear video ever, was the Challenger tank vs. Range Rover Sport (06x01). I got addicted immediately, and started to actively follow the rest of Season 6...I have now seen all seasons numerous times, and I adore the show.

Before watching Top Gear, I didn't feel passion towards machines...now I do. I can't even drive yet, but I adore the complexity, the diversity and the sheer beuty that is associated with the motorcar and its engineering. I am very greateful to the Top Gear guys, for making me feel that way :)

Vintage form, welcome back Top Gear! They actually talked about cars. Woot!

^ Sometimes it IS about the road and not the car... While watching, I was thinking, would this road also be fun in a lesser car. Doing a k-turn in a 7-11 parking lot is great in a supercar.

Oh no! Now Jezza will ask all the guests "Top Gear or Fifth Gear?"

They also get respect for their website, they tell the truth and said the Monday After thing will have to wait until tomorrow, they couldn't get it done. Simple enough. More people need to be honest.

Holy crap, 10 pages already??

I just got done watching it and I'm completely taken aback by how magnificent that was. It was everything I hoped it would be and most definitely more. I won't prattle on about it because this far into the discussion I'm sure no one will read it. So in my normal fashion of coming late to the party I'll just say this:

Thank you Jeremy, James, Richard, Andy, Viper, and everyone else involved with this. It was truly one of the greatest television episodes, of any show, I have ever seen. Cheers.

IMO the best segment ever was the one with three supercars through France.

This was close... it's about driving the bloody supercars, not suffocating us with
tech data we can find for ourselves on google.

Great work by J.Clarkson, R.Hammond and K.Nob.

Oh no! Now Jezza will ask all the guests "Top Gear or Fifth Gear?"

They also get respect for their website, they tell the truth and said the Monday After thing will have to wait until tomorrow, they couldn't get it done. Simple enough. More people need to be honest.

Completely agree - but even though the video isn't there we still get blog posts by Hammond, May and Clarkson - Hammonds is already there.

2nd comment... This episode could have been a lost episode from season 6. I love it, back to form.

Awkward edit when Jeremy is asking the guest about life in Los Angeles, I'm curious to know what he said (even though I know what he said).

And I hope the cool wall comes back (or something roughly equivalent), love the audience interaction.

Last edited:
The cinematography of Top Gear rivals that of any movie studio in the world. The music was spot on as well. My fav part was when all three of them stood, staring speechless at the road in the valley. Breathtaking .....

Wireless Monkey, here we are the first of many avatars, however may change it to something else throughout this brilliant series!!!

Love it, love it!!

The problems with the camera in Richard's Porsche and the awkwardness of the news aside, it was just what I wanted to see. Well, except for the the bit with the naked James strapped to the Aston.
I guess, it's his now, since I can't imagine anybody wanting to sit where sweaty James sat. Naked.

And boy, what a road. I'll be going there asap.

I think the episode was a good one. Not the best of all time, but still above the average. Perhaps it's the lack of car review during the road-searching segment or this week's not so great 'star in a reasonably priced car', but this doesn't make it a heart stopping show. Nevertheless I'm glad TopGear is back and I just can't wait to see all the great stuff the promo showed us . . . :mrgreen:

wow, what a great episode...amazing episode, even. it was visually stunning and it makes me want to go back to northern italy and switzerland again...

only thing i'm sad about is that they didnt take the 3 lightweight cars around the track...and how they kept bad-mouthing the aston.

i wonder what would happen if they drove all 3 around an actual track?

oh and i got a question for all the european drivers...those roads that they were on...with the white dotted line in the middle...were they crossing into the oncoming traffic lane?

i know that to get the proper "line" through the corners they would have to hit those corners by going into the other lane.

so...what were the chances of another car coming down through there? or did they close the road you think?

Oh no, same crap as series 9.

Oh no, same crap as series 9.

The set is a bit better (the hamster needs his own gay chair - or can you no longer say anything bad about the hamster and have to bully James) and Sony should give them their biggest screen for free so it doesn't look like some apple designer fake kitch look, the budget the bbc puts behind it quite admirable but probably because they make a ton of money from selling it as well. The news seemed better, apart from the lack of any real info on "normal" new cars, like how good is a mondeo nowadays?

Amazing ariel shots although there are loads of good roads in scotland, australia, california, canada, south west england, south africa, russia ...

Problem with the roads is that they didn't know them, not really attacking them were they, I bet some local in his diesel golf could have easily had them. Would have been good if they swapped and gave the aston some lead foot.

The thing that really disappoints me is that it seems it's going to be another 10 episodes of crap middle aged men living out their stupid fantasies. It makes me embarassed that one of my passports is english. TG (bbc) should have more responsibility, the country is turning into J.C. yobs. Quite different from some of his books and newspaper columns, do some journalism. All behind saying what you think but he often oversteps and isn't funny.

Fith Gear still easily is much better (if you are after a motoring show), much more current and fresh ... I don't think it should hark back to william wollard days quite, but I wish it were less blokeish and arrogant and cover more car things. 5th do some fun 'motoring' focussed things. e.g chip fat merc is better than building car boats and actually informative, green and useful to the world. And for gods sake, get rid of that crappy car on star in a car and let one of the others do some interviews...
The show should be renamed "Jeremys Big Ego".

But hey, I'm just the miniroty, why will it ever change, bbc you know you can do better why do you sell out.

I hope that later episodes improve.

4 / 10 (for production not really content)

Anyone know where I can get that jacket Richard was wearing in this episode?

(I know I don't post much here, but I'm TG obsessed, don't worry)

NO, but maybe you can buy his, so that he cannot wear it on air ever again?

The problems with the camera in Richard's Porsche and the awkwardness of the news aside, it was just what I wanted to see. Well, except for the the bit with the naked James strapped to the Aston.
I guess, it's his now, since I can't imagine anybody wanting to sit where sweaty James sat. Naked.

And boy, what a road. I'll be going there asap.

you're not that far from the Stelvio ;)