[10x01] October 7th, 2007

I have been watching TG since the first few Ep's and it is a testament to the JC and Richard what they have built. They have a devoted following in Europe, Asia, and more recently a following here in the states. I mean a couple of years ago I remember tell people about TG and they had no clue. Now i come home on the weekends from college and I find that my father has started to watch TG on BBC America. He is becoming a fan.... One more to the exclusive TG club...

I mean when you watch some of the greatest Ep's like the Jaguar vs. Germany and the super-car test... and the boys driving to the Bridge... I mean these Ep's are why people fall in love with TG. Great cars, Great Story?s, Entertainment and a show that the Cinematography rivals that of big name movies... I mean just look at the first Ep in this series the Second part of their trip when they got to the two best roads in Europe you were bombard with dramatic music and imagery and the wonderful exhaust notes of the cars. What more can you say...

You couldnt be more right. The only comment i would add is that, in the last series, after the unspoken crash, they limited the series to their famous challanges that unfortunately board the tears out of most of us .. i think i am right in saying. Anyway im not saying it was bad, dont get me wrong, I love listening to the boys phylosofie and ideas, which for me is waht saved them last series.

This series looks like a whole new story where we will get much more car testing and rubber burning .. in other words the good stuff.

The engine note out of the V10 in that Super Leggera through the tunnel was magnificent. I feel sorry for James jeje but it was a stupid idea to take an Aston Racing Spec on a road trip, specially through the alps were you know the road is going to be in that state.

Cant wait for the next episode ...

i thought it was good to see james in a unspoken racecar! He didn't choose the car himself i think, jeremy did it as a prank ;)

That's what i'd like to believe :D

The set is a bit better (the hamster needs his own gay chair - or can you no longer say anything bad about the hamster and have to bully James) and Sony should give them their biggest screen for free so it doesn't look like some apple designer fake kitch look, the budget the bbc puts behind it quite admirable but probably because they make a ton of money from selling it as well. The news seemed better, apart from the lack of any real info on "normal" new cars, like how good is a mondeo nowadays?

The thing that really disappoints me is that it seems it's going to be another 10 episodes of crap middle aged men living out their stupid fantasies. It makes me embarassed that one of my passports is english. TG (bbc) should have more responsibility, the country is turning into J.C. yobs. Quite different from some of his books and newspaper columns, do some journalism. All behind saying what you think but he often oversteps and isn't funny.

Fith Gear still easily is much better (if you are after a motoring show), much more current and fresh ... I don't think it should hark back to william wollard days quite, but I wish it were less blokeish and arrogant and cover more car things. 5th do some fun 'motoring' focussed things. e.g chip fat merc is better than building car boats and actually informative, green and useful to the world. And for gods sake, get rid of that crappy car on star in a car and let one of the others do some interviews...
The show should be renamed "Jeremys Big Ego".

we have those shows in the US. They review new, normal cars, like the new Accord and Camry and Sonata.

(semi-automated voice here)
"The steering is poised, and provides enough information to the driver while still being smooth. Disc brakes on the front and back provide excellent stopping power with just a hint of fade. Acceleration lags behind the competitors, but once up to speed, the handling is steady and sure footed"
(/semi-automated voice)

Holy shit. Health and safety lectures would shock you from beyond the grave with their excitement in comparison.

Its so horrible, i haven't watched a single episode of Car & Driver or that incredibly lame show where a NASCAR "driver" takes a Pontiac G8 for a drive on a track somewhere in the South behind the presenter in the same-car-with-different-badge in a different color and they talk to each other about what it was like growing up in a racing family over CB radios.

no, i'm not kidding. that is an actual show in the US. That's what passes for "a show that would tell us how good the new mondeo is" here in the US.

For crying out loud - a show to tell you that the new mondeo is basically just like the old one, except the cupholders are bigger and the satnav is below the vents instead of above them like last year? Are you fscking kidding?

The Jezza Ego Show is something that (at least) 23% of the people find entertaining... i read C&D on the shitter, i don't need to see it redone on TV. I watch very little TV, and it better fscking be beautiful, funny, and witty and watching 3 friends cocking-about and just loving every minute of it is something worth watching.

if you don't get the show - there was a Threroeaux show on man-boobs on after TG. Feel free to watch that pompus drivvel.

If you want to know about the new Mondeo, for the love of pete - go buy a magazine or go test drive one for yourself. And that's ANOTHER thing we love about TG.... 3 normal guys who's only pretentiousness is feigned for the show are getting to do something that all of us would only DREAM of doing... driving supercars and doing speed laps in 70's supercars and smashing caravans... We love the show because they're us doing what we couldn't and they invite us to go along with them on the ride.

"hows the new Mondeo..."?

"And how much do you NOT want to go to dinner with the guy that came up with that?"
- Jezza

Peterp has got a point though. Sometimes fifthgear gives you more car info.

I don't like how they're adding so many ridiculous challenges i.e. stretch limo is the worst imo and "how hard can it be?" :rolleyes:

Helen Mirren was the most dis-interested guest I ever saw on the show.

Kristen Scott Thomas? Admittedly I was a bit worried when she said "I don't have a car" but at least she made an effort, unlike Miss Thomas who either had no idea what was going on, or didn't care. Surely someone could have explained to her Jezza's boyish obsession.

Excellent stuff. The bit where the camera pulled back from the Stelvio and the three guys are stood there (with James wafting his arms to clear the smell) and JC simply says "Fancy it?"

The whole thing, summed up in two words.

Totaly agree

Totaly agree

Peterp has got a point though. Sometimes fifthgear gives you more car info.

I don't like how they're adding so many ridiculous challenges i.e. stretch limo is the worst imo and "how hard can it be?" :rolleyes:

I totaly agree with you regarding the challenges, but i have the feeling that they have learnt form that series and looks like this one we might get back to the nitty gritty of real car testing, which had gone down memory lane if you ask me regarding last series. Looking fowards to the new 9 episodes ...

according to the last series... watching this episode i felt pretty much "at home"... more like the old days, i think they got the right way back
(and i hope you guys can understand what i'm writing here, my english gone pretty rusty ;))

The new Top Gear was about as great as the new Fifth Gear was lame.

I'm not a hater, I kinda liked the recent episodes of FG, but this one
was complete crap. "Monster-truck Smart - We simply had to celebrate this tech marvel"... Aargh!

You couldnt be more right. The only comment i would add is that, in the last series, after the unspoken crash, they limited the series to their famous challanges that unfortunately board the tears out of most of us .. i think i am right in saying. Anyway im not saying it was bad, dont get me wrong, I love listening to the boys phylosofie and ideas, which for me is waht saved them last series.

The last series didn't bore the tears out of me I loved the challeneges they were hilarious. Okay agree the series lacked on car reviews and wasn't standard Top Gear but to me it was still entertaining.

Though I think from what we've seen of the preview of this series and what Andy Wilman has said on the Top Gear site that they're going to have a better mix of challenges and reviews, perhaps like series 8 was which i think had quite a good balance

And to you guys that suggest american roads? Get real, everyone knows that all american roads are straight. The only time you need to turn the wheel is when you're doing a 90 degree turn at intersections. That's also the reason that no american cars can turn properly.

Rubbish. The USA and is the same like Switzerland, just on a very very very bigger scale. You will find the same marvelous pass roads there. But here, after you just have blasted over one, only turn left or right and the next pass ride is just in front of your bonnet, and so on and on. But in the US you have to cross a desert the size of the Mediterranean Sea to get to the next mountain pass. ;)

Greetings, lip, and he had to laugh out loud when he saw the top gear guys on the san bernardino highway, moaning how boring it was... because parallel, near beside, sometimes even under and over to that boring highway, all the long way between Mesocco TI and Thusis GR, is one of my most beloved and all time favourite piece of twisty alpine road... :lol:

Cool ep. Far from the best ever. The interview sucked and the quest for the best road was really aimless half the time. James' N24 didn't seem to fit in with the other cars well.

Hi guys, just stopped to say hello, and to express my pride for living few kms away from Stelviopass. Unfortunately we can enjoy the pass few months a year. It's going to close in few weeks for winter and will reopen May or June 2008.
For thos who want to enjoy the view of the pass, here's the webcam at 2750m asl (8000 feet)

stelvio_05.jpg

Cheers from Italy.

I really enjoyed this weeks episode.

I didn't mind the last season, but you could tell that all the shows had a tinge of sadness, because of Richard's accident. This time they seem to have gone back to their roots and what made the show great in the first place.

I don't mind if they don't have all the specifications etc of whatever car they're driving. We have the internet for that.

Also the cinematography in this ep was astounding.. I loved the views they got of some of those roads in the Alps. Just seeing them makes me want to go there and drive them... they should be getting paid for the extra tourism as well!!

That was garbage. The least they could have done is review their cars a little bit.

That was garbage. The least they could have done is review their cars a little bit.

But they did to an extent, okay there wasn't the massive talk like the series 7 Isle of Man ep but to an extent they did