[10x01] October 7th, 2007

I have to hand it to these guys. I admire every single person involved in the making of Top Gear, as much as I do the presenters.

The filming, the choreography, and the editing, is just simply phenomenal.

This is, by far, the absolute best quality of film that you will see on any TV show on air, absolutely anywhere. Sure I am biased because it is about cars, but who isn't biased?

Absolutely fantastic.

I don't care about recycled music, simply because it generates the feeling they want it to generate.

Sublime!

Thank you, everyone, who is involved in the production of Top Gear. You are all gods to me :p

I hate to be the odd man out, but it still feels like the show is too scripted from my liking. Although it was great to see them out on public roads and storming through Europe in supercars, I can't get over the checklist conversations.
OK, James is late, and we've stopped on the side of the road to talk about the price of the cars. You can check that one off. And we have the gas station scene where Jeremy brags about the extra horsepower of the Lambo. You can mark that one off as well. We?ve gone through a tunnel? got that one.

A little bit self-conscious perhaps? To be honest I can?t blame them.

Also, the cool wall bit was just cringe worthy. I don't know yet. I'm holding out for the next couple of episodes.

Fantastic show. I found the last section of the "perfect driving road" to be very powerful with the classical music. As I assume many true automotive enthusiasts did, I got a bit emotional with that scene. Just amazing fliming and editing.

Amazing episode, it really does look like it will be one of the best series so far.

I hate the fact we can't get TG on BBC America live like the rest of the world, not just the 8-9th series.

Australia's only just getting up to season 9 now, and afaik it's the same for most other countries that get it.

I thought it was pretty good.

Although, I thought the Supercar segment was a bit overproduced. I always think back to the epic races Clarkson has where it shows him leaving England in the darkness of morning while the others are waiting for the bus/cab. This segment seemed like it could have been filmed over a few weeks and just pieced together in the editing room.

But it was still good. That hour just FLEW by. I was surprised when the show ended.

Are these episodes airing in HD? The Polar Special was just beautiful. I wish the scenic shots from Italy looked that good.

Are these episodes airing in HD? The Polar Special was just beautiful. I wish the scenic shots from Italy looked that good.

No,

Episode was pretty good, they played off the fire incident very well:lol:. My two friends who saw it with me wanna see more and neither is a hardcore fan

Why don't you just download from Quiky's HTTP?

I downloaded my copy (750mb) in 40 mins.

could you talk about this in more detail?

Us yanks here stuck on Comcast Cable modem are screwed... comcast is now severely throttling back on torrent traffic to the point where i'm getting about 5.6-10k sec.

i hate comcast, i hate comcast, i hate comcast, i hate comcast, i hate comcast,i hate comcast,i hate comcast,i hate comcast,i hate comcast,i hate comcast,i hate comcast,i hate comcast,i hate comcast,

No, they aren't.

As a one off, the Polar special was possible but I guess either the BBC just doesn't have the ressources to make an entire season in HD or (more likely) for the additional cost of making it all in HD they can add more stuff in the actual show and stay SD. Remember that HD hasn't really taken off yet in europe and making an entire series in HD just isn't worth it for the few hundred thousand that would be able to watch in HD. Attenborough can get away with making an HD nature series... but they tend to get sold to other broadcasters and be rerun for years - not exactly qualities that Top Gear has...

That being said, I would have loved to have seen the Alps cinematography in HD.

It was fan-bleeding-tastic piece of filming. I waited like 7-8 hours for it but it was worth every kb :D

I think it was a good episode, i don't think it was "ZOMG" good like everybody on here is saying. I quess some of it was great, the general fooling about was up to par and the cinematography and music was excellent. My least favorite thing was how poorly they planned out the adventure. It was great when they found the good roads, but I seem to remember alot of crappy traffic and James May being pissed off. Wish they would have just seemed to do some research, instead of just getting lost and inconvenienced. Except for the beginning and end of the driving roads segment much of it simply seemed like a bunch of somewhat lost, inconvenienced, and tired old men, and theirs nothing magical or stimulating about that.

Of course i liked the tunnels and K.NOB and etc, but still. It somehow seemed more like work then play.

I also wish i knew why they went to Switzerland and not Austria, sure the one mountain valley with the lake was nice, but looking at a map of Austria it seems not at all short of great roads, all while being more car friendly (i believe), and if i'm honest i do like Austrias weird hybrid of Bavarian and Italian culture(but then i can only say that based on what i've read). Maybe it was too far out of the way since they seemed to know they were going back to Italy?

Overall I'm just happy their back though.

I like how the Lambo/GT3/N24 segment was filmed in panaromic view, aka super widescreen.

I just realized that if you if you were a little bit disappointed with this episode (like myself), then watch it again. Trust me. It'll be so much better.

Especially the series preview.:D

Sorry to spam this thread, but did anyone else realise the soundtrack to Micheal Mann's Miami vice remake featured a lot in this? I noticed A-500 and an instrumental version of 'in the air tonight' (WHERE CAN I GET THAT?!)

It was also used a lot in the America episode too. Not suprised, it's a cracking soundtrack. I have it, that how I noticed!

It's not an instrumental version, but it is a remake by a band called Non-Point I think. I have the mp3 of the song if anyone is interested.

could you talk about this in more detail?

Us yanks here stuck on Comcast Cable modem are screwed... comcast is now severely throttling back on torrent traffic to the point where i'm getting about 5.6-10k sec.

i hate comcast, i hate comcast, i hate comcast, i hate comcast, i hate comcast,i hate comcast,i hate comcast,i hate comcast,i hate comcast,i hate comcast,i hate comcast,i hate comcast,i hate comcast,

I got up to 120 k/sec on my download from Time Warner cable.

No, they aren't.

As a one off, the Polar special was possible but I guess either the BBC just doesn't have the ressources to make an entire season in HD or (more likely) for the additional cost of making it all in HD they can add more stuff in the actual show and stay SD. Remember that HD hasn't really taken off yet in europe and making an entire series in HD just isn't worth it for the few hundred thousand that would be able to watch in HD. Attenborough can get away with making an HD nature series... but they tend to get sold to other broadcasters and be rerun for years - not exactly qualities that Top Gear has...

That being said, I would have loved to have seen the Alps cinematography in HD.
A real shame as the scenery just doesn't shine through at such a low res. :(

Overall I liked the episode; certainly a better tenor for this season than last season, and I like what I read in Wilman blog. I would have enjoyed this ep. much more though if James had picked a car he enjoyed as imho a trip is only so much fun when a mate is having a horrible time (or maybe I'm too kindhearted). Looking forward to a proper news segment come next ep.

Oh, and it seems like Richard is going through a midlife crisis lol. And James...is it just me or has he aged rather poorly since the first season he was on? :| I still think the three of them have some of the best team chemistry on TV though. ^_^

Want to ask 2 things.
Was there a fire?
And why keep blaming 5th gear?
I know that the pass 2 seasons, they practically copied lots of Top Gear challenges.And I cannot say I am fond of 5h gear at all, maybe the opposite.