[10x01] October 7th, 2007

Are you sure your not German regiz? :) sorry another joke that should have been resisted - gotta love stereotypes and nazi references!

I'm sure there are stunning roads in every part of the world (even Britain if you look hard enough) but Top Gear has a budget and the route they chose was probably the cheapest with the best effect.

It's back and it's fantastic as ever. Loved the news, loved the Golf bit, but somehow the "lets take supercars to a fantastic" location thing seemed a bit dull.

They've done roughly the same when they went to that bridge in France a while back... and the supercar section seemed to go on too long aswell

however, JC failing to refuel his car and James being uncomfortable for ages while claiming to love his car were class...

lets recap.

Jeremy stopped half of London... because his GT was too wide for a British bridge
Richard stopped half of Paris... because the Zonda is too low for a French carpark

James stopped half of Austria... because hes a blithering idiot

LMAO

Top Gear is back, and none of that challenge rubbish, just great motoring. :D :D :D

I hate to break it to you, but theres going to be quite a few challenges this coming season. Im glad the show is back, but i was still dissapointed with this ep, there was only 1 real car review (The Golf W12) and its a car thats not even going into production. I want a return of road tests of reasonably priced (as well as expensive) sports cars, estates, MPVs, micro compacts, etc. Much like what Fifth Gear is doing so well these days, and not make 75% of each ep overly ambitious/stupid challenges.

How dare you comment that film as "OK"? The finding-the-greatest-driving-road-in-the-world film was excellent.

No, i think it was just 'OK' as well, youre being dazzled and distracted by a lot of flash, and besides it wasn't that different from the '3 Supercars in France' film from series 7.

this episode was pretty near to perfection.
Although the celebrity bit could have been shorter.

Kudos to the Stig for mastering this Golf around the track 8)

I think this serie is going to be one of the best.

But I will still watch fifth gear for informative reviews.

Oh My God!!!

My eyes just exploded with joy!!! :D

It seems TopGear it's going back to it's roots and better than ever. Yeah!!! the 3 lightweight part of the episode was a little bit boring in some parts. But the imagery and the way it was filmed... Just SUPERB!!!!

It's just the first episode of this long season, so give it a little bit of time till it gets even better.

And I completely agree with D-Fence about how unfair was the N24 treated. It was a race car!!! It's normal that it wasn't comfortable!!!

Anyways, I just can't wait till next Sunday (well.... actually it will be Monday :p)!!!

My friend: "So what's this Top Gear thing?"
Me: "Err...it's 3 British guys talking about cars. And doing...stuff with them. I guess."
My friend: "That sounds like it sucks."
Me: "Here, just watch this."
Jeremy: "You look like a gay terrorist!"
My friend: "I have to admit, that was AWESOME!"

Enough said. :bow:

lets recap.

Jeremy stopped half of London... because his GT was too wide for a British bridge
Richard stopped half of Paris... because the Zonda is too low for a French carpark

James stopped half of Austria... because hes a blithering idiot

LMAO

Actually it was Italy . . . ;)

I don't get why people are saying that James drew the short straw with the Aston. Have a read of the articles that Viper has provided a link for on the front page (I'm not giving the url, find it yourself) and I get the impression that the producers would have said "Go get a light weight road/racing car and we'll take them to the best roads in the world." Then the presenters went off and chose the cars. How does James draw the short straw when he picked the car??

That's the best piece of television I've seen in a long time. Perhaps since season 7? It put a big smile on my face by simply being fun. I forgot how much fun it was watching a new episode of TG, and season 9 doesn't even count BTW.
Around 54 mins when Hammond says "it's a good time to reflect on our cars" there's about a minute and a half of amazing shots, combined with amazing music with that amazing scenery and those amazing cars (though color challenged) when it just all came back to me at once. I LOVE THIS SHOW!! :D

Can't wait for the next show and the uncut news.

I loved the trailer for the season that they showed in the beginning of the episode.

JM: (to RH) You look like a gay cowboy... (to JC) and you look like a gay terrorist.

:roflmao:

No need to apologize, I guess I don't get the joke. What does me being polish have anything to do with the point I'm trying to make? I've been in Switzerland, I know how amazing roads they have up there in the mountains. But I've seen better, that's all I'm saying.

I have to agree. Although they did find some great roads, i suppose after being stuck in Italy and not allowed to hammer through Lichtenstein they may have felt a bit of a need to boast.

I may be wrong, but i think Jeremy has been to the road they used as the "Finally" before this, either that or its been shown in his previous movies. I have to say, it look better from the nose of a car then from the chopper. Which is meant 100% as a compliment.

Last edited:
The road they followed ( i think)

The road they followed ( i think)

Ooo, we should definitely clone their path!

heres my guess of the entire path..

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&h...ll=45.4408,8.44303&spn=5.357468,11.535645&z=7

a couple of notes:
- Lichenstien: i think on the way from Vaduz to Davos, ive included the road that Richard wanted to go on, but couldnt :)
- Davos - Stelvio: as mentioned in previous threads, there are a bunch of different options here. I tried to stay as true to the virtual map as shown in the episode, and also taking into acocunt that they seemed to go by several lakes in that leg

Feel free to tweak as people see fit! its definitiely a driving holiday i would love to do at some stage in my life (albeit not for a few years methinks, considering i already am i debt for my trip to Canada @ Xmas)

Enjoy!
-Nick

Last edited:
Oh My God!!!

My eyes just exploded with joy!!! :D

It seems TopGear it's going back to it's roots and better than ever. Yeah!!! the 3 lightweight part of the episode was a little bit boring in some parts. But the imagery and the way it was filmed... Just SUPERB!!!!

It's just the first episode of this long season, so give it a little bit of time till it gets even better.

And I completely agree with D-Fence about how unfair was the N24 treated. It was a race car!!! It's normal that it wasn't comfortable!!!

Anyways, I just can't wait till next Sunday (well.... actually it will be Monday :p)!!!
X2 :thumbsup::tvhappy:

Brilliant, just brilliant! We're back to proper Top Gear episodes with three chaps acting like they're eight-years-old in cars that they can only drive because of their real age :D

I loved the continuous jabs at Fifth Gear, that was funny. W12 Golf, Three Supercars, just fantastic!

My friend: "So what's this Top Gear thing?"
Me: "Err...it's 3 British guys talking about cars. And doing...stuff with them. I guess."
My friend: "That sounds like it sucks."
Me: "Here, just watch this."
Jeremy: "You look like a gay terrorist!"
My friend: "I have to admit, that was AWESOME!"

Enough said. :bow:

Sounds similar to when I turned my friend on to TG, after he watched the episode (DB9 vs. train) his mouth was flapping like a fish out of water, and his eyes were all googley.

I can partially relate to this episode, since I have driven all over Southern Wisconsin, Eastern Iowa and Northern Illinois to find "that perfect road". Even it is just two great corners in succession, or a one minute roller coaster ride, it was worth it. Still is.

I can partially relate to this episode, since I have driven all over Southern Wisconsin, Eastern Iowa and Northern Illinois to find "that perfect road". Even it is just two great corners in succession, or a one minute roller coaster ride, it was worth it. Still is.

You tried to find the perfect road in the Midwest? Do you realize how flat it is here?! You were wasting your time :p :cheers:

Also, where was Top Gear Dog???

Last edited: