[10x01] October 7th, 2007

well, i am freakishly late to view the episode but i enjoyed it, i think it is better than anything from last season so i am happy. not sure about hamster's sport coat though

i.....feel....disappointed :cry:
it just doesn't feel right.. it feels to me like they made things too scripted, and some things are just being repeated too much(e.g. JC's exaggerations).
or maybe it's just me building too much expectations for the new season...
it is good to see the guys doing some stuff for petrol heads rather than the more family-oriented previous season :)

Hi!

I got the new episode and finally had the time to wach it.
Now I have two questions that I would like to ask.
First of all this episode was filmed after the tragical loss of Colin McRae.
Why TG did not mention ANYTHING at all about Colin?
Same goes for Final gear, but I don't want to get off topc:)
The second question is about the TG news.
Why they are not available as a torrent for download?

Thank you for your time.

They are ...what???

[...]First of all this episode was filmed after the tragical loss of Colin McRae.
Why TG did not mention ANYTHING at all about Colin?
Same goes for Final gear, but I don't want to get off topc:)
If you want an answer to that question, you should mail or write Top Gear/Fifth Gear directly, all we here can do is speculate.

I suspect Top Gear not mentioning this has to do with the big Media Attention that accident got from british Media- when it happend. There were specials all over Telly and the Press in the UK about Colin that time. I suspect they didn?t want to jump that train some weeks late. Maybe End of the Year Top Gear?ll show some "let?s look back at 2007" and put it in there. But with all other Media having already covered this and showing Colin as a british Hero weeks ago, it would have been strange doing it some weeks later again on TG.

While watching the episode again I noticed that Jeremy's Superleggera was a manual. I thought they only do them with e-gear as standard. :?

I hope this isn't a repost, but they have each written a piece about the cars they chose for the ultimate road quest...

Jeremy Clarkson said:
The new Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera has got Jeremy worried. Has he bought the wrong car all over again?

Supercars are stupid. They are desperately uncomfortable, entirely unsuited to weekends away, uneconomical, ridiculously expensive to buy, even more expensive to run, more brittle than a frozen leaf and so exhausting to drive that you need a two-week holiday after every trip to the shops.

Of course, they are very fast, but this simply means the short pieces of road where all that power can be unleashed are swallowed up in an instant. Feeding a supercar with a mile-long piece of empty, sunny road is like feeding a fat man with an Ethiopian's breakfast. He barely notices he's had it.

Of course, supercars are also rare. But not so rare that anyone might want to save yours for the nation. Not so rare that they might actually make the owner a tidy profit should he decide to sell at an auction. Quite the reverse. You pay ?200,000 now. Half that's gone by a week on Tuesday.

And yet. Supercars remain utterly irresistible because they appeal to the small boy that lurks in us all. They appeal precisely because they're mad, and zany, and they come with clown shoes and a spinning bow tie. And the maddest and most idiotic of them all is anything that has a Lamborghini badge on the back.

That's why I'm a bit alarmed by this new Gallardo Superleggera. Lambo has stripped out some of the weight, found a bit more power and garnished the interior with all sorts of racing paraphernalia, and I'm sure the end result will get round any track two or three 10ths of a second more quickly than the standard car.

That is great, of course. It is important that engineers are encouraged to make their cars go as fast as possible. So long as those engineers work for Ferrari.

Ferrari, with its recent dominance in F1 and its reliance upon technology, makes cars that truly boggle the mind. The F430 and the 599 feel like they've come from the future. They feel so brilliant that you tend to drive them with a serious expression on your face. You're sealed in a piece of engineering genius, and it's best at such a time to look respectful and earnest. Much as you would if you were to meet the Queen.

The thing is, though, they're trying too hard. They're missing the point of the supercar: that they should reach beneath the suited, adult exterior and tickle the barely formed scrotum of the pre-pubescent teen that lives in all of us. (Except Al Gore, who was born at the age of 47.) A Ferrari makes you feel like a million dollars. But what it should you make feel... is 10.

And that brings me back to the Gallardo. The standard car is not quite as rewarding to drive as an F430 - not quite as delicate or manageable when the going gets wayward. But it looks better, and it's louder, and you can have it painted lime green and fitted out with seats the colour of a baboon's bottom. And that means it's more fun. And that is the point of a supercar.

That's why I've just bought one. Yes, it has a grey roof, and grey paint and grey wheels, but I did specify the orange seats, and you should hear the noise it makes when the revs climb past 3,500. It makes you smile.

And when you smile, you forget about the boot which is barely big enough for the carpet that lines it, and the fact you were charged ?600 for a cup holder, and that you've just sat in a traffic jam for an hour, inching forwards every few moments and that your left leg is as ruined as Borat's brother's anus.

And this is why I'm concerned about the Superleggera. With this car, Lambo has gone after the Ferrari Challenge Stradale. They've tried to make a car for the track-day market.

And that's wrong. Track-day people wear Nomex underpants, and think about engine noises when making love to their wives. They put their own company name on the side of their cars, and talk in the pits about camber and ratios, and you don't want them round for dinner. Track-day people actually swell when you say "shock absorber" to them.

Taking the Gallardo in this direction is wrong. If Lambo wanted to do a special edition, it should have built a version that works in space and has machine guns that flip out of the sills. I really like the idea of a Gallardo with Colonel Bogey air horns and a device that plays Ode To Joy every time you unlock the doors.

My car is as stupid as the Ford GT that preceded it, only I've done two journeys in it now and it did both without breaking down. Also, I can get out of it, and it's small. It's a properly brilliant car. As much fun as an evening out with the bastard love child of Jimmy Carr and Axl Rose.

The Superleggera is like that too of course. Only a bit more uncomfortable. And what's the point of that?

Richard Hammond said:
The Porsche 911 GT3 looks set to be a classic, even if Richard Hammond does hate that colour

If you or I stubbed a toe on the bedside table every time we got up in the morning, we would move the table. A Porsche engineer would redesign their foot. They might be bonkers, but you've got to admire their determination.

For 40 years, they've honed and improved the 911, because honing and improving is what they do. Yes, they could have moved the engine to the front end decades ago, but where would the challenge be? Thanks to their fetish for sticking with a plan and honing and improving it, what they've ended up with is one of the most accomplished and characterful cars ever made.

It may have started out as not much more than a sporty VW Beetle in 1964, but it has evolved - just as we evolved opposable thumbs to be able to peel bananas and build Porsches. And now this, the new 911 GT3 RS, is the most complete and exciting supercar on Earth.

Of course, there's little point in me getting snared up in an argument about why this car is better than all the others, because supercars are ultimately a matter of individual taste, and you can't argue against individual taste. James chooses to grow his hair long, because he thinks it looks good.

No amount of arguing that he looks like a spaniel mated with a tramp will ever persuade him otherwise; it's a case of personal taste.

Look at our 100 Fastest Cars list, and you'll see what I mean - you're sure to disagree with some or all of it. But what I can do here is explain why, for me, this car is the boss, and maybe you'll be able to relate to at least some of what I'm on about.

You probably know about the GT3, Porsche's stripped-out version of the 911 designed for racing homologation. To make it, the normally aspirated 911 lost its rear seats (and other bits and pieces) to shed weight - it's 30kg lighter than a Carrera S - and gained a racing roll cage.

To turn it into a GT3 RS, Porsche put it on a more extreme regime, with a different, more complex cage, lightweight carbon-fibre rear wing and Perspex rear window, saving another 20kg. About 700 will be produced, guaranteeing exclusivity.

And that RS livery means a lot - some sensational cars have worn it in the past, like the 1972 2.7 RS. That's enough to make the ?14k premium over the GT3 more than worth it, even forgetting the improved resale value.

Oh, and it looks a bit meaner than the GT3, because it uses the slightly wider rear bodywork (it has a 44mm wider rear track, to be exact) from the Turbo and Carrera 4.

The 3.6-litre flat-six in the GT3 is a very different animal to the one in the standard 911, using a lot of parts from the racing GT1 motor- exhaust, headers, intakes and the ECU have all been fettled, and its special twin-cast blocks make the engine stiffer and capable of producing more power.

The RS version is also fitted with a slightly lighter flywheel than the regular GT3 for even easier revving. The figures are impressive - 415bhp at 7,600rpm and 299lb ft at 5,500rpm.

That makes it the most powerful normally aspirated, six-cylinder engine in production, and in a car the size of a small hatchback, 415bhp is plenty. Standstill to 62mph takes 4.2 seconds - some magazines have got it as being below 4.0 - and you're doing 100mph in 10 seconds dead, on the way to a maximum of 187mph. Sheesh.

But figures are just figures, numbers on a page. It's the way the engine does its job that blows me away. You can potter off down the shops in it and it never bites - it's tractable and benign. But for God's sake, don't go shopping in it. Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should.

Please, please beat this car mercilessly until you think it can take no more. Because it can and, on this occasion, you definitely should. It revs with a furious, charging energy - it thrives on revs, and it never, ever feels anything other than urgent when you want to push on.

One of the great things about this car is its purity of purpose. When a Ferrari is finished, it's sort of garnished with character, like ketchup on chips. Porsche doesn't do that. It finishes the car and then it is what it is. And that sense is nowhere better expressed than in the engine.

It doesn't have a nice Perspex cover above it to say "ooh, here I am and aren't I lovely?" It doesn't have pretty valve covers or badging or exposed exhaust manifolds. No. It's the ugliest engine in Christendom - it looks like the back of an old washing machine. And who gives a bugger? Because it doesn't need to look any different - it's designed to slam the car down the road as fast as possible. And sod beauty, it's the driving that counts.

If it looks like a washing machine, then it certainly sounds like one. The lack of aesthetic buggering about extends to the engine sound - at least at low revs. It's all mashing, clattering valves and mechanical din invading the cabin. Sure, the Porsche guys could engineer a lot of that roughness out, they could acoustically tune it, but why? It's not a clarinet, it's a supercar engine.

The noise it makes is a direct result of the purpose the engineers have set for it. If you love it - and many of us do - then great, the Porsche guys appreciate your understanding. If you hate it, they couldn't give a flying fig. Buy a CD of pretty V8 engine sounds and play it, if that's what you want. Play it in your BMW.

It's when you let it off the leash that its real character shouts at you - a howl that makes me grin like, well, like a bloke at the wheel of someone else's ?94k Porsche supercar every time I hear it.

This sound couldn't be anything other than a Porsche flat-six, but it's louder and more aggressive in this GT3 than the standard Carrera. It is simply a more extreme expression of the same beast in standard form.

I can't tell you how much I love a Porsche for its lack of pretence, its lack of engineered-on glitz and garnish. It doesn't need added character, because it has character oozing from every micron. And let's not forget, they may only be numbers on a page, but those figures also mean it's stunningly fast in real life - that 10-second 0-100mph time is only 10ths away from a Turbo.

Here's a thing - why don't you see more Lamborghinis and Ferraris and Astons at the Nurburgring Nordschleife, the world's greatest, most demanding race track?

Because they're not built to take it, and their owners aren't the sort of drivers who'd enjoy thrashing their expensive cars round there.They would rather admire their engine through its Perspex lid or listen to their CD of V8s singing opera. But go to the 'Ring on a public day and the place is chock-full of 911 GT3s. That's purity of purpose for you

Another spin-off of the Porsche obsession with fettling is a sense of continuity and lineage. If you put me in the passenger seat of any current 911, blindfolded me and put ear muffs on me, I could still tell we were in a 911.

It has a distinct bobbing motion at the front end that has been there since the Sixties. It's a function of the weight of the engine being where it is and the compliant but firm damping, and I love it.

That's not to say it's unstable or in any way dangerous - this is the most planted car you can imagine. It's as if the nose is a bit restless, sniffing for another corner to attack. The steering chatters away in your hands, alive and full of feel. You sense every tiny bump on the road surface, every ridge and dip.

OK, the downside is that it can tramline quite badly on occasion, but you can live with it, because the alternative is a numbness that just wouldn't be a Porsche 911. It is talking to you constantly through the suede rim, and the slightest thought of a movement in your hands will have the car changing direction. Along with the engine, it's the car's most impressive quality.

Or is it the chassis? I can't decide. It's all good. Punt it through a high-speed bend and as you'd expect, the grip levels are gigantic - at least they are in the dry on these Michelin Sport Cup tyres.

Streaming wet and slippery conditions might be a bit more hairy. Lift off, and you still get that 911 oversteer moment as the mass of the engine pivots beyond the rear axle, but it's under control - yours to use if you feel the need. And have the balls.

And, of course, the stability control will let you slide it a bit before it catches the car. Or you can turn it off. This is a track-focused machine that any racing driver would be immediately at home in.

I'm not a racing driver, not by any means, but I can certainly appreciate how direct and agile this car is. And if you love driving as much as I do, you'd love it too.

I was expecting the ride to be a lot harder than it is. Even when you hit the Sport button - which firms up the dampers - the ride is still comfortable and compliant. Porsche's active damper system had the purists howling when it was first released, but I think they've probably gone a bit quiet now. The compromise between ride and handling is pure magic.

I drove this car hard for a good two hours on some pretty bumpy roads, and none of my teeth got broken. You never find yourself avoiding bumps to save your spine, and the body-hugging lightweight racing seats, though hard, seem to match the compliance of the ride perfectly.

Anything I don't like? Well, the seat is set way too low for a bloke of my height, but that's easily sorted. And I'm not sure about the suede all over the place - I'm not a fan of Alcantara and if I could spec the car without it, I would. And, er, I'm struggling to think of much more.

Other than the colour. It's too green. And the orange is too orange. I think I'd have the world's greatest performance car in black - a car can't be too black.

This could be the last of the flat-six 911s, so perhaps we should pause for thought. There are rumours flying around about Porsche working on a new flat-eight engine - that it has decided it has squeezed all it can out of six cylinders and it's time to move on.

Once again, the purists will be jumping up and down in a worried frenzy about the death of the six, and I must admit, I feel a pang of anxiety when I think about this great engine being scrapped. Still, as the last flat-six 911 GT3 RS, the car you're looking at is probably a classic already.

But we mustn't get too worried about the future of the 911, because there's one thing you can bet your house on - that the eight will be better than the six, and that the next 911 GT3 RS will be better than this car. The ultimate 911 is always the latest 911 - quite an achievement.

I find it impossible to imagine how they could improve it, but that's why I'm not a Porsche engineer. In fact, I'm pretty sure if you or I hung around at the factory gates at Weissach for long enough, we too would find ourselves improved.

James May said:
Normally fond of cars with high-quality, James finds himself enamoured by a stripped-out Aston N24

I'm ashamed to admit that I hadn't visited Aston Martin since its new Gaydon factory (or 'facility', as I believe these things are now called) was completed. As a veteran of many visits to the old Newport Pagnell site, I was in for a shock.

It's all terribly smart. 'By appointment to HRH the Prince of Wales,' proclaims a plaque on the wall just outside VIP reception, 'motor car manufacturer and repairer.' I sensed that the legend 'and repairer' had been added later, perhaps in the light of recent unfortunate events.

The giant glass doors to the centre's atrium-like display area swung open automatically, leaving me to enter with my astonished arm still outstretched.

"Welcome to Aston Martin," said someone hundreds of yards away. I took a seat near the line-up of new V8s and, unbidden, a silent and spectral man in a suit brought me tea in a pot. I poured it as reverentially as I could, but the milk jug still made an appalling clatter on the glass-topped table and ruined everything.

This was different. But some things are still the same. There has been another change of ownership - that's all part of being Aston Martin - and, since Aston is a marque old enough to have proved its worth in real racing, there is a new racing car, the V8 Vantage-based N24. I had come to try it out.

Racing is not my sort of thing, to be honest, which is why I eschewed the little-used Nomex and booties that lie in the bottom of my hall cupboard somewhere and turned up in uncompetitive knitwear - a sort of Le Cock Unsportif ensemble.

But I had to admit that the N24 - for Nurburgring 24-hours - looked rather excellent, especially in this yellow, and with its over-large Sportline alloys. The stickers are not obligatory, by the way.

The car has been designed for track-day enthusiasts and for endurance racing at the 'Ring, but will also be eligible for the GT4 racing series, where it will be up against 911s and lightweight Lambos.

Aston is also looking at the possibility of a one-make series, which will protect brand exclusivity, by ensuring that Astons only crash into other Astons. Factory support, in a manner yet to be decided, will be available. It could be a truck-load of spares and expertise, or it might just be the non-speaking man with the teapot.

With a little fettling, the N24 can be made road- legal under single-vehicle-type approval rules, but more of that in a minute. It costs ?78,720+VAT, but as proper teams run as a business, they will be able to reclaim the tax.

Aston is able to boast that its stripped-out V8 actually costs less than the fully kitted road version. This seems fair - you get less. But it's only available in left-hand drive, since it was developed at the Nurburgring, which is in Germany, where people drive on the right.

Body-wise, the N24 is the same as a normal V8 save for the different sill panel and the gappier grille, which a candid Aston man says is made by removing some of the slats from the normal grille. If you like the look of it, as I do, you can perform the same trick on your own Vantage grille with a hacksaw, at the expense of invalidating your grille warranty.

Power is raised from 380 to 410bhp, through secondary air injection, freer-breathing catalysts and the abandonment of important ancillaries, such as the aircon compressor. Although the suspension is the same, new squidgy bits lower the car and stiffen it up. "Even though it's a racing car, the ride is pretty good," says the Aston man. This turns out to be bollocks.

Most significantly, the N24 is around 200kg lighter than the standard car. "Most of the weight has been saved on the interior," says the Aston man. This much is evident, since everything I hold dear about the interior of a British GT car has gone - the leather (the passenger seat in its entirety, in fact), the carpet, the sound-deadening, the inset trim panels, the air-conditioning controls and the radio.

But there is an aerial on the roof, as usual. "There was a hole in the roof anyway," I am told, "so we thought we might as well stick an aerial in it." This is a bit like buying a Jif lemon and then realising you don't have the ingredients to make pancakes.

Climbing in is tricky, because there is of course a roll cage. To save weight, the normal strut has been removed from the door and replaced with a strip of tent material simply there to stop it opening too far.

It won't stop it swinging shut and hitting you in the face when you're only half-in. Then there is a bucket seat and an infernal and ball-breaking 101-point safety harness. But, once in, things become quite exciting.

There is an unapologetic honesty to the cabin. Some of the regular dash buttons have given way to business-like toggle switches. There are two little tits to reset the fuel-pump cut-outs and a huge red knob to immobilise the ignition. Pull this, press the button, and the V8 grinds into life like a Spitfire's Merlin (which was a V12, I know - stop spoiling it).

It's enough to make you wonder how they manage to make the road car feel so refined, just by adding fabrics of various sorts. It's not just that the engine is louder. It also sounds, and feels, more mechanical; much more like countless components whirring round and round and flying backwards and forwards. In most road cars, what we call the engine note actually comes from the exhaust. Here, it comes from metalwork, and it's glorious.

There are other unfamiliar noises. Without sound-deadening, the gear linkage can be heard clanking away. Even the clutch hydraulics make themselves known, huffing away above the clamour of the V8. And so I set off around Aston Martin's own test track. And that's all very well, but circuit driving has never been my thing. As I said, the N24 can be road-legalised quite easily.

It needs numberplates, some sort of handbrake, and the fixed driver's window (with its inset sliding perspex panel) must be replaced with a normal opening one. Aston has just such an N24, the personal property of boss Dr Bez, which has withal just been given a very thorough service to include replacement of numerous components under warranty. It's this car that I take onto the roads of Warwickshire, I think.

The din, of course, is tremendous. The fat tyres tramline at low speeds, the roll cage interferes with three-quarter vision, and the ride is, as I suspected, on the lumpy side. But once the Aston is on a roll, it becomes tremendously of-a-piece and jolly good fun. All pretence of sophistication has been discarded, to be replaced by an elemental sense that here is nothing beyond that required to make the car go and give you somewhere to sit.

It's a great way to remind yourself what's really going on when you drive. Deceptive, too: I expected it to feel as though it was going faster than it actually was. Turns out the opposite is true.

By the end of it, I was, unusually, ready for a race. Me in the Aston, Hammond in his beloved 911, and Clarkson in the low-fat Lambo. And that's a Top Gear challenge.

All of these loveingly copied and pasted from the TG previews site...

Brilliant episode.
I was so looking forward to see the 'best road in the world' thing... and I couldn't agree more! I've actually been on those roads in switzerland/italy a lot of times and they're really are stunning.
And the filming quality was terrific!
Can't wait to see the new ep in a few hours...

can someone make a gif (thats under 2 mb) with subtitles, when jeremy says "the hils are alive.... to the sound of horsepower) or something like that... with footage of the cars, and then inside his lambo..

thanks

I very much enjoyed this episode. I think it's a great example of what the show is all about.

Those cars and respective articles were featured in a great top gear magazine issue I've re-read several times for months, and it was a pleasant surprise to see them in action.

I also predict that for the next year or so, chances are high that anyone who makes a specific trip to those roads will run into another top gear fan who has done the same.

well, perhaps I shouldn't say run into...

Hi, by the way. first post.

Last edited:
Good stuff, not much studio stuff but I guess they had loads of film to get through. I liked their jab at the "oh my god that's fake that's not real!" idiots at the start.

I predict a flood of "naked James in a 6 point harness" avatars here. The cars sounded orgasmic in the tunnels.

Your wish is my command.

james2.gif

Possibly for avvy use:
james3.gif

Last edited:
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but does anyone know what's the name of the music at the end of their Italian trip?

I've been a fan of Top Gear and FinalGear for a long time now but just now registered.

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but does anyone know what's the name of the music at the end of their Italian trip?

I've been a fan of Top Gear and FinalGear for a long time now but just now registered.

There you go. Welcome to Finalgear.
Greetings, lip

When I saw this on BBC2 the first time it aired I was somehow uninpressed. However, after watching it a few times again lately - I have to say it this is what TG is about. I loved the cars, the views and the lads. It makes me want to find a tunnel and turn on the taps (okey...it won't be the same with a Peugeot 206 1.1 :D )

I'll be travelling by car around that general area this summer so maybe I might take a detour to the Stelvio Pass...

What does jeremy say about america?

What does jeremy say about america?

While in the studio he points over an atlas looking for the best driving road...

he said "Its not going to be here because everyone does........

Then after that he sort of mumbles fyde or something...what did he say?:?

Follow this link he said it at about 0:17

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QApglFsG_P0