[10x02] October 14th, 2007

You can't be serious...

Believe it or not, Clarkson "HIMSELF" is not god and no sane car manufacturer would even consider listening to his recommendations.

:lol: :clap: :lmao: A Michigan student thinks in a few years he'll be in control of VW America.... man thanks for the hearty laugh.

I dunno if you guys have been around long enough, but some would argue that there is little a bigger troll at FG than wahaha. I'm not saying I think that, but he's stepped on a lot of toes around here. It's great for one to have ambitions in life, but to expect to become a high ranking place holder or board member within the world's third largest car manufacturer in a few years after graduation... sorry, it will take a bit more work than that.

But regardless, someone who writes this:
It's called color co-ordination. Just look at any star trek bridge from the recent movies. THAT'S how interior design should look like. Not this boring bland BS that's in every home, business, and car, except for Audi.

Me case, she rests.

too bad they didnt put on the Ferrari 599GTB video. the Audi R8 is brilliant, it's cool to see Jeremy and Richard race against each other, not really racing tho.
I think the ambitious cars is not good as the first time, but still good, and they finished their challenge on one car!!! xD

I dunno if you guys have been around long enough, but some would argue that there is little a bigger troll at FG than wahaha. I'm not saying I think that, but he's stepped on a lot of toes around here. It's great for one to have ambitions in life, but to expect to become a high ranking place holder or board member within the world's third largest car manufacturer in a few years after graduation... sorry, it will take a bit more work than that.

I don't think he's actually serious about becoming VW America's president! At least I don't think he is....uh, are you?

As for the episode, I thought it was good but enjoyed last week's much better. I was never a big fan of the R8, but for some reason, it looked fantastic sitting in the studio. Maybe I can be fully convinced once the V10 comes around.

Also, is it just me or does James May seem like he doesn't want to be there? He just sits in his chair not really saying much and not reacting to what the other presenters are doing. Was the same as last week. Dunno, maybe he was always like that.

Also, is it just me or does James May seem like he doesn't want to be there? He just sits in his chair not really saying much and not reacting to what the other presenters are doing.
I agree. I think it has a lot to do with what I was touching on earlier, that whenever he tries to say anything the other two just make fun of him. I also think he's seriously underutilised as well. They never seem to use him any more! I think he was the best at the single car reviews (the reviews that only involve one presenter and one car) but whenever one of those reviews is to be done it's usually Clarkson that does it or maybe Hammond.

Then when he is there he's relegated to 'comic relief' like in the last episode; It was Clarkson & Hammond and May. That shits me.

I'm about to write what will undoubtedly become a very lengthy and long-winded diatribe on the current state of Top Gear. I'm not going to hold back on what i thought were the weaker moments and I'm not going to spend much time talking about the bits I enjoyed. I'm not going to pretend that the TV show has feelings and I might hurt them. I don't care that i don't live in England or that I don't pay the BBC that silly TV tax you suckers have to pay. My opinions are my own and if you don't like hearing the cold, hard truth don't read this shit. upyourego, i'm looking in your direction...:p

I didn't comment on the first episode because I wanted to let the show find its feet, so to speak, before I formed a proper opinion. Now that i've seen episode two i've got a good vision of things to come. And I don't like it. :(

It had a few laughs, not enough cars and loads of shitey filler. Just like the abominable season 9. (I'm sure some of you hatefully remember my opinions of that season from back in the day.)

The R8 review was good by normal, TV standards like you'd find on Fifth Gear or Some Other Car Show but by Top Gear standards (the standards they themselves set, for themselves!) it was a limp-wristed load of unimaginative sleep-inducing mediocrity. Two grey cars driving in circles around a grey bit of pavement on a grey day. They never used to do this! Ever! All their reviews had a little something in them to make them special or interesting. Sometimes it was nothing more than a cheap, see-through gimmick but "gimmicks create interest where originally there was none". Remember when James took that XJ6 to Birmingham? That was just a cheap gimmick but he worked the fuck out of it and made that review into something magical and whimsical!
This review had nothing. Not a god damn thing. It was just a man in a car and nothing more. I can see that shit anywhere. Even Tiff can do that shit and he has all the personality of a Communion Wafer.

Speaking of which, How many times is Jezza going to find someone in the audience who looks faintly like Jesus and make a joke about it like he's never done it before? What is this, the fourth time?

The Porsche pipes were funny. Especially James who looked right at home. :lol: I do wish they'd pick on him a bit less tho... You know, sometimes I would actually like to hear the ends of his sentences rather than their stupid jokes at his expense.

Bah, anyway...

I knew exactly what he was getting at when he was comparing the Ferrari Scuderia to cheese because I've had the same thought about batteries! Why do they have so many different levels of longevity like Standard Duty, Heavy Duty and Super Heavy Duty? Why aren't they all just as good as they can be?

The boat thing was an ungodly mess. I swear they could have trimmed it down to half the time! It was like a 15 minute segment squeezed into 30 minutes. Why did we have to see the drive out to Dover? Absolutely nothing of note happened! If you're about to say that it was worth sitting through the whole drive just to see that brief moment where Hammond looked loaded don't bother because you're wrong. Sure, there were a few laughs and it was pretty damn cool when they made it to Prance but we've seen this boat caper before and it was much better the first time.

The Star In A Reasonably Priced Car segment is just dead weight now. Even when it's not bad it's still pretty bad. Terry Kiser should sue them for stealing his shtick! yuk, yuk, yuk.

I sat through the ep and it's not better than season 9. It's not 'back to its good old self' like I had hoped it would be and like so many of you have claimed it to be.

I'm going to keep downloading each episode in hope that some parts will be worth watching. Then I'm going to come in here and give my thoughts because that's what this place is here for. Those of you with an ounce of wit will simply know not to read them and those of you who like this current season will read them and then bitch and moan at me like little girls.... And so goes this thing of ours... ;)

I agree with pretty much everything this man said. I enjoyed watching this episode no doubt, especially when they reached France!!! But the R8 vs 911 review was average at best. The boat segment was wwaaaayyyyy too long and the star in a reasonably priced car was quite dull. Also I didn't get most of the jokes as I am not english. Jeremy also needs to stop re-using jokes.

Wahaha: Turn off your friggin fog light! argh.

anyways, loved the episode. I'm not so picky.

I think top gear isnt what it used to be.

They used to drive caravans,vans,boats to let us see how they dont like them and make fun of them. But now the drive them more time that sport cars.

It is kind of sad, when knowing how many cars is out there that they could drive.

I think that problem is that in the past they were pleased for driving world best cars, but now when the do it every day, they even own them, the magic has gone.

So they are using Top Gear show only for having fun.

Originally Posted by MPowered
Also, is it just me or does James May seem like he doesn't want to be there? He just sits in his chair not really saying much and not reacting to what the other presenters are doing.

James has kinda always been the one to sit in the cornor and occasionally chip in with a few witty remarks and stuff now and then so i don't think his role in that way has changed too much

I agree. I think it has a lot to do with what I was touching on earlier, that whenever he tries to say anything the other two just make fun of him. I also think he's seriously underutilised as well. They never seem to use him any more! I think he was the best at the single car reviews (the reviews that only involve one presenter and one car) but whenever one of those reviews is to be done it's usually Clarkson that does it or maybe Hammond.

Then when he is there he's relegated to 'comic relief' like in the last episode; It was Clarkson & Hammond and May. That shits me.

And I noticed that James was sort of doing less car reviews on his own a couple of series back. and as for the piss taking, well they all do take the piss out of each it's just i think sometimes one of them may get the rip taken out of him a bit more depeneding on what's on gone on the previous week or through filming for the series.

i.e. Hammond's teeth and Clarkson's Ford GT

but I can see your point that with the edit it looked like they were picking on James a bit. Though in other challenges the ?1500 coupe that wasn't a Porcshe for series 6, Jeremy and Richard did take the piss outta James just as much as the did in the amphibus car film, which having rewatched it I agree that was a too long and if they weren't going to show them building or modifying the cars, then they could have just started the film with them at Dover and thus they could have gotten in another car review.

I love Top Gear and will always watch it and much as I love the cocking about the thing is they can't do it too much as it sort of, over indulges, them and us with it and it loses that shine.

But I have faith that as the series goes on they will start to get the balance right

I know that pretty much nobody here will be shocked by this, but there is an uproar over the pipe bit from Sunday's Top Gear.

Top Gear pipes anger anti-smokers

It always amazes me how pansy some people in the UK can get. It can be pretty bad here in the States, but the health & safety crowd in the UK seem to be especially good at ruining everybody's fun.

(Sorry if this was already posted elsewhere, I looked but didn't see it)

I know that pretty much nobody here will be shocked by this, but there is an uproar over the pipe bit from Sunday's Top Gear.

Top Gear pipes anger anti-smokers

It always amazes me how pansy some people in the UK can get. It can be pretty bad here in the States, but the health & safety crowd in the UK seem to be especially good at ruining everybody's fun.

(Sorry if this was already posted elsewhere, I looked but didn't see it)

Yeah we have two topics about it going on in the Top Gear forum itself, but posting it here is ok don't worry. It is quite shocking how sensitive people are about this.

I think top gear isnt what it used to be.

They used to drive caravans,vans,boats to let us see how they dont like them and make fun of them. But now the drive them more time that sport cars.

It is kind of sad, when knowing how many cars is out there that they could drive.

I think that problem is that in the past they were pleased for driving world best cars, but now when the do it every day, they even own them, the magic has gone.

So they are using Top Gear show only for having fun.

watch Fifth Gear then.

watch Fifth Gear then.

Yeah, exactly. Top Gear is what it is because its not just really seriuosly car reviews they also have some fun. I think this episode was great but how did the Van sink?:p

Top Gear has the perfect format, car reviews and funny car related stuff... This is working, just look at Fifth Gear They are copying a LOT of stuff from Top Gear:(

loved it

loved it

Hello, just wanted to use my first post and say that the best shot in the whole episode was in the R8 vs Porsche segment when Hammond blasted sideways past the R8 and almost out of frame. I about s**t my pants when I saw that! loved it!

Get off the guy, at least he has some ambitions. Grow a pair of bollocks!(c)

Anyway, TG, it seems, will never be the same again for me. I've just watched about every [1-7] series again, and i really don't feel like putting 8 or 9 dvd into my drive. So let's see some figures: series 4 rewatched no less than 10 times, series 9 - 0 times. Right.

Probably it should have been the case of "live fast, die young".

I liked the season opener more. I think I've had my fill of all these challenges. The early ones were hilarious, but did we really need a part II to the amphibious vehicles? I want less rehashed horsing around and more cars, and more DETAIL in the reviews. Nothing about the R8 interior? How does it compare to the Gallardo? God I'm sick of 911s. Ahhhh. I'm going back to season 5.

I think the set pieces are getting longer, fewer individual car reviews. As long as there is a good mix, it's all good with me.

Get off the guy, at least he has some ambitions. Grow a pair of bollocks!(c)

Anyway, TG, it seems, will never be the same again for me. I've just watched about every [1-7] series again, and i really don't feel like putting 8 or 9 dvd into my drive. So let's see some figures: series 4 rewatched no less than 10 times, series 9 - 0 times. Right.

Probably it should have been the case of "live fast, die young".

I kind of agree. It's hard for me to see how TG is going to be the same as it used it used to be in "the oldern days".

Daily Mail :
Clarkson was then shown 'eating' the pipe's bowl before running from the stage having burned his tongue.

The show was filmed at a hanger near Godalming in Surrey. An investigation is underway by the local Waverley Borough Council.

Now that is something to be pissed about and requires an investigation