[10x02] October 14th, 2007

Porsche v Audi.
Not bad actually. Nice camera angles/editing.

Channel Crossing.
Again, not terrible but not great either. Maybe not as spontaneous (sp?) as the original item. Seemed a little "pre-determined" they would end up in the Nissan (not Toyota for some reason:? ) French locals looked perplexed.

Jools
Felt like they cut a fair chunk out of the interview. Disjointed maybe.

News/Links
Now the bad bits.
1) Yes, we get the Labour bottled the election and stole all the Tories ideas joke. You don't need to run it loads of times. Its not so funny the 3rd time.
2) Yes we get that James looks "at home" in the newer chairs. Yes we get that the pipe suits this look. Again same jokes 2 weeks?
3) Now the biggie. When Top Gear was filmed on Wednesday, Jason Platos accident/condition were quite serious sounding. I was initially pleased they wished him well. However, "Potato" was stolen from SniffPetrol a long time ago. And would of been fine. But Baked? Out of order given they aren't friends so cant play the "Banter between mates" card. And "Thank you God" was down right insulting. Im not over sensitive to stuff like this. But I thought Clarkson was an absolute C for that! James and Richard both winced at that and I wonder how much of the audience laughing was not dubbed on afterwards. He tried to rescue the situation witha dig at one of the audience. But to me the damage was done.

Fifth gear at least wished Hammond recovery after his accident. And Clarkson couldnt even do that. Im sure he wont care, but hes gone down massively in my estimations. I suspect the BBC will of recieve a lot of complaints for that.

Last edited:
god richard porter can't use his own jokes? DAMN HIM!!

and top gear will get more complaints about the pipe smoking in a public area than taking the piss out of plato (and they did wish him a speedy recovery fyi) (and clarkson has done videos with plato and on wednesday plato was already saying he was looking to be racing today http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63180 )

anyways, away from the miserly gits - what a damn good episode, apart from the slight odd first part of the amphibious cars bit which was a bit superfluous. The audi bit was awesome (surprised they didn't point out that it was faster than the gallardo) Anyways the news was fantastic.... what a pillock, what an utter pillock for putting the pipe in his mouth. And the cross channel challenge... great :D

will this be put on Youtube like last weeks episode?
:barf:

You're welcome to, but I certainly won't be. Why ruin such a wonderful thing by breaking it up into short parts of crappy quality?

Loved the show this week - thought that James was being a bit quiet up until after the news, he didn't get much to say did he? News was fantastic though - Jeremy you utter pillock putting the "hot end at the back" lol. Hilarious though.

Amphibious cars was brilliant - I felt oddly emotional when they made it to France, it looked a bit scary when the waves were crashing over the front of the Nissank! Although, James, honestly - your car was rubbish!

Stupid snooker next week - who cares about that?!

Only problem with this epsidoe was the guest. Boring again.

It WAS boring, but only because the interview was very similar to Jools' appearance on Jonathan Ross a few days ago. The entire Ramones part was the same, some parts even literally. :|

Helen Mirren had also been on Jonathan Ross recently.

hilarious, havent laughed so hard for a long time

only the R8 vs the 911 on the car front, rest was the channel crossing. but who the fuck cares when its this funny.

i'll stay out of here from now on, because no doubt the little news segment about that SSC car (shelby super car is it?) and it making 256mph is going to get the american members here well riled up and no doubt numerous posts will appear in the TG forum about how the US has been picked on once more.

let me just say this, i agree with hammond that its a stonking achievement and much applause to those guys for now holding the fastest production car in the world record, but i also agree with JC that no matter how fast it goes in a straight line, it will not overshadow the Veyron in any other aspect but speed.

bloody great episode though, i hope the US guys can take jc's criticism and remarks about the SSC in their stride rather than letting it annoy them... its just entertainment folks.

Last edited:
god richard porter can't use his own jokes? DAMN HIM!!

Think its more the case that he cant think up new jokes...

Blythy said:
and top gear will get more complaints about the pipe smoking in a public area than taking the piss out of plato (and they did wish him a speedy recovery fyi) (and clarkson has done videos with plato ...

Maybe. But it was the equivilent of saying. "Im so sorry your mum was in an accident, but shes a slag anyway so it doesnt matter" There was no need for the extra comment. It belied his core beliefs.

Oh and which videos Btw?

EDIT

As for the SSC. Its out Bugatti'd the Veyron. And in the process made all that hyperbole about fantastic gearboxes that can handle the power seem rather optimistic. Whats left on the Bugatti once its lost its headline grabbing speed? SSC is really ugly though. (Just like the Bug :D )

Last edited:
Nice episode indeed.

R8 v 911 was really good, was looking forward to that for weeks, and it didnt disapoint me. Camera angles were great (funny to see they used the theatrical widescreen again).
Also, anybody else noticed hammond was using his own 911? Funny to see that jezza was so careful with his SL55 back in season 2 (or was it 3?) while hammond had no problem trashing it around.

Channel bit was ok. It was indeed, again, a challenge like season 9. But hey, if they don't do it every episode, it's all good. It was funny as hell indeed. The time between the final attempt and arriving in france felt a bit "short" though. Guess nothing special happend when they were at open sea.

News was great. Haven't laught like that in a while. "Hot end goes at the back" was classic.
Can't wait till the next episode :D

Last edited:
'Cause that's the Scene's rules (anything over ~42 minutes gets bumped to 700MB) and most people don't care about the size, so I put out what came out first (the Scene vs. Vuk).

so, its official than? :)

first it was 350, than 425, now it 700mb :)

what's next? - 3 gb? :)

is there a thread for this issue somewhere in here?

Very strange that Sniff Petrol (absolutely hilarious site) was referenced, but they didn't use the image that Sniff Petrol are using. I guess it's cos SP's image has Texaco written all over it...
No, not really...

If you have a look at the end credits of Top Gear you'll see under "Script Editor" the name Richard Porter. Richard Porter (Also contribiuting writer to EVO Magazine) is actually the man behind the whole Sniff Petrol site.

The SSC vs Bugatti has been disgussed long and hard, and only the people who care about the top speed, not how it gets there or how it behaves at that speed, will say it's better than the Veyron.

Which it clearly isn't.

Great episode in all (apart from the interview), I had actually hoped they would beat the other bloke's record and that coastguard coming by to wish them luck was just top notch. Too bad it didn't drive out of the sea on its own power. :(

The R8 is an amazing vehicle, but why am i still so drawn to its 2x as expensive step sister i wonder?

And no helmet segment yet? Well, 8 eps to go, we'll be keeping strict tabs, of course!

gg

EDIT:

The scene standard for a segment more than 42 minutes has always been 700 mbs, which is the standard for 90 minutes. 42 minute segments (classic american tv show episode) get encoded to 350 mb, Vuk encoded his to 425, because it's minute per MB to follow the standards. ....ish. So neither Vuk nor the people who did your 350 MB encodes followed scene rules.

Well 1080p well be a bit more than 3 gb ;) :lol: I prefer quality!

I think VUK will bring a 425mb rip, those are great, but the 700mb isnt bad either. If manage to watch TG on TV I download VUK's rips only, otherwise I get the scene rip first. Nobody is gonna care if I download 90GB a month or 200 GB - there is a reason for flatrates :D :D

Personally, I liked last weeks episode more.

I dont know. The R8 v 911 was good, but I thought the amphibious bit was strangly edited. We never saw if the Toybota still worked after the channel trip. Maybe it didnt?

I also cant believe that they used 19k ? on the Toybota... :blink:
The engine was prolly the most valuable part! :p

Still not even a mention for Colin Mcrae??? Im very surprised actually.

Great ep tho, so glad its back, looking forward to the return of VUKs rips

I enjoyed it - one of my favorite cars - the Audi R8, and one of my favorite challenges, the Toybota one, now in mark II guise - and this week the missus actually managed to leave me alone for the whole hour!!!!! News was brilliant but I would agree about the editing on Jools Holland - Hmmmmm?

No, sticking to 700MB rips by the Scene.

Nope. The majority of people don't care and for those who do, there are various 350MB rips out there.

The SSC vs Bugatti has been disgussed long and hard, and only the people who care about the top speed, not how it gets there or how it behaves at that speed, will say it's better than the Veyron.

Which it clearly isn't.

Agreed, the Veyron is definitely the better car, but still, major props to the SSC guys. I mean, just look at the price. I assume it's a ton cheaper.

Viper ^^ X2 - I'd like to see a TG test myself - would SSC guys go for it do you think? Would Bugatti go for it? Probably not - I suppose if one is rich enough one would buy both any how. How'd they get the power out of the SSC any way - one cool engine IMHO.