[10x02] October 14th, 2007

Also what happened to the amazing soundtrack? did they fire the man responsible for selecting the music and hire some dork with a obsession for overlaying reviews with stupid sound effects.

I was wondering the exact same thing. It seems the past 2 seasons have been seriously lacking with the music selection.

Well... I didn't like this episode as much as I liked the first one, mostly because... well, I didn't think the editing was all that great to be quite honest, during the amphibious bit at least.

I liked the R8 vs Porsche shenanigans, and I was hoping that Jeremy didn't like the looks of that car and that ended up a pleasant surprise considering all that he has written about that car already. I don't like the way it looks either, for the very same reason he mentioned. Hammond's entry into that review was awesome, gave me goosebumps.

The news was funny, ripping on McLaren, Hamilton and Plato was great (Plato writes for TG Magazine so I am sure they know the man from more than 5th gear).

The amphibious bit was not really boring, I can't say that, because I laughed a lot at the three of them, but, I just thought that the sequence of events that took place were kinda boring. Going out, coming back, going out, coming back, going out, coming back, then going out and making it. It just felt kinda "meh". It felt a lot more orchestrated than usual, as if they were trying to be funny at times.

Maybe I was just bored of the car/boat thing since it's been done before, who knows?

Also, who else noticed, when the camera was spinning during JC and RH's arguement over which is better that in one scene, Richards 11's front numberplate is slanted and falling off, but in the scene right after (during the same arguement), it was properly fastened in again?

Just a little easter egg I picked up while watching (well, not really an easter egg, but you know...) :).

Also, who else noticed, when the camera was spinning during JC and RH's arguement over which is better that in one scene, Richards 11's front numberplate is slanted and falling off, but in the scene right after (during the same arguement), it was properly fastened in again?

Just a little easter egg I picked up while watching (well, not really an easter egg, but you know...) :).

I noticed that :p

clarkson911pipe.gif

hammondpipe.gif

jamesmaypipe.gif

For avatar use

I enjoyed it - one of my favorite cars - the Audi R8, and one of my favorite challenges, the Toybota one, now in mark II guise - and this week the missus actually managed to leave me alone for the whole hour!!!!! News was brilliant but I would agree about the editing on Jools Holland - Hmmmmm?

We never saw if the Toybota still worked after the channel trip. Maybe it didnt?

I also cant believe that they used 19k ? on the Toybota... :blink:
The engine was prolly the most valuable part! :p

You both missed it. It wasn't a Toyboata, it was a Nissank. Specifically, a D21-type Nissan Hardbody (as it was sold over here) pickup truck. Its fraternal sister, the WD21 Pathfinder/Terrano is parked outside right now - literally the same truck with 4 doors and a wagon (estate) back on it. The W/D21 well known as being the *other* indestructable truck on the planet.

The other thing is that I think the ?19K they spent was all three combined.

There was a lot more planning into Clarkson's pickup this time. The bilge pump, for one, obviously served it's purpose. Also, that truck had to have been tested to begin with because I can't see his Nissunk would've been able to make the journey, plus help the others, without some pre-testing. His truck was obviously way better than anything the other boys brought.

Actually it sounded like all of them (except maybe James) had actually tested their boats to a small degree at least - otherwise, how would Richard have known his top speed?

Amphibious cars was brilliant - I felt oddly emotional when they made it to France, it looked a bit scary when the waves were crashing over the front of the Nissank! Although, James, honestly - your car was rubbish!

You got it! I was pretty sure the Nissank would make it, though.

Last edited:
I cant believe that the R8 was faster then the Gallardo...

The news was funny, ripping on McLaren, Hamilton and Plato was great (Plato writes for TG Magazine so I am sure they know the man from more than 5th gear).

Eh, no. He doesnt.

Was one bloody funny epp, the R8 v 911 review was good, Kinda expected the 911 to be a bit slower. the Amphibious cars was a good laugh! A rather expesnive alternative to the ferry, and a bit of a wet alternative. But a good laugh!

ALSO! - NO TG NEXT WEEK!?! Because of Snooker? I say we do what all thos little fuckers who think Top Gear is to scary and complain to the BBC!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

However don't say that Snooker is shit, say it causes the break down in society, prompts anti-social behaviour, the kind of bullshit people make up when they complain about Top Gear driving too quickly

Last edited:
It was an entertaining ep but once again the car review count is ONE (the R8 for ppl who can't count), so ppl who say the show is back to old form, i wouldnt say that yet.

I loved it, but an hour is way too short. How about 2 hours?

Points I already brought to their attention. Hopefully they'll begin to do something about it.
BBC said:
I was interested to read that you would like to make some suggestions for the programme. #### and that you would like each edition to last 2 hours. Please be assured that your suggestions have been registered on our audience log. This internal document is available to the 'Top Gear' programme makers and senior management.
Probably goes to some jug eared git named cuthbert rumbold, in upper middle management.

And I already emailed Audi a while ago to mention get rid of that faggoty red DIS in the center console. For christ sake it's a $100k car and they can't even put the bloody FULL COLOR, high resolution DIS in it?! If they can do it for the gallardo.. they should have done it for the veyron too instead of that crappy blue dot matrix VW hack job.

audi2.jpg

I also emailed Audi last week about those ugly R8 LED. Get rid of them and put proper fiber optically lit strands across the lens, or even better, neon tubing. I've even seem some where the gas vapors move around, providing a light show. Not very practical, but then again puny LEDs aren't either.

Clarkson should have made the comment "crushed diamonds" for fuel, instead of lion whatever for feeding the veyrons gas tank.

Am I the only one here who's really liking the look of the R8?

Nope. I'm with you, mate.

Always loved the look of the R8, especially if its painted dark grey and it's sideblades are in a darker shade of grey.

Any info on TG yesterday's ratings?

Loved the episode. Loved the R8 - 911 review/battle, loved their sailing challenge even more. All the Studio stuff is still awful, but we're used to "ridiculous" scripting style since season 7, so no surprise there...

Last edited:
I was crying with laughter ( literally ) with the News segment. I thought the camera work and editing on the R8 review were utterly stunning.

A great episode - just what I was after ( thought 10x01 was a bit 'OK' - not brilliant...this was a much better episode)

Doug

That was brilliant, I loved it - laughed from start to end - this episode was right along the same lines as my favourite series so far - eight.

Brilliantly funny over the top challenges plus a car review and a chunck of studio stuff.

Can't wait for the extended news this week :)

ALSO! - NO TG NEXT WEEK!?! Because of Snooker? I say we do what all thos little fuckers who think Top Gear is to scary and complain to the BBC!

the bbc is very protective of snooker, cos it, along with golf, are the only sports they have.

Didn?t like the Guest, didn?t like the News ... except the Pipes (Porsche does make good looking Pipes :blink:). I think they were too rude about Plato. He got seriously burned and that could as well happend to the TG-Boys ... they?ve gone a bit too far there for my taste.
R8 vs Porsche didn?t bring any news but was great fun and well filmed. Hammonds entry is an instant-TG-classic Moment IMO.
The Amphibious Vehicles Reprise ... couldn?t keep up with the first Time they did it. Had it?s Moments, had it?s laughs ... but didn?t float my boat totally:mrgreen:. I can?t even really lay my finger on it now, what was wrong with it ... maybe after i see it again.

The News is most of the Time my favorite bit of the show, so this episode left me a bit disapointed ... but still well entertained. Just not as good as they can be ... and not enough featured Cars for my taste ... this episode was very "Series 9" ... And I?m always hoping more for "Series 6 or 7" where I think they had the perfect recepy.