[10x02] October 14th, 2007

I'm surprised though that they haven't brought in Top Gear Dog to add to there homely scene with the News section

I have a bad feeling that TGD is no longer a part of the show :(

Someone mentioned it before, I can do without the cinematic widescreen bullshit at certain times in the programme.

I disagree on a visual point it adds to the film and sort of, highlights the shot or marks it out in a way. I like it, but then that's me.

Enjoyable show.

The swapping aspect ratio I think I get. They're proud of the film. It's part of what makes Top Gear stand out. When they swap over to the wider aspect ratio they're saying "see this? this is the a really good bit of film. this is hollywood." I also think they're goofing on their own reputation for producing film that's more hollywood than car review. Either way it doesn't bother me at all. And for those who do complain, keep in mind you sound like the same people who complain about "those black bars" when watching TG on their 4:3 television. Maybe that's why they do it, so now everyone complains about the black bars, not just those watching in 4:3.

I enjoyed the R8 review. I really enjoyed that bit with Jeremy in the foreground talking to camera as the car turned in the back. Very well framed (and nice music selection on that as well). At first I figured it to be Jeremy on green screen, but his hair blows in the wind and the lighting changes on his face enough that it seems they produced that bit right there on the tarmac.

Watered down? Didn't get the 911 bit? This review was quite similar to several reviews pre-season 9 where Jeremy took the car under review and put it against a Ferrari test driver or Steve Coogan or whomever. The review is classic Top Gear. Anyone who doesn't get that ought to go have a look at previous seasons and see if they're not looking at history through rose colored glasses.

The amphicars bit was too long. Pepper the first half with some film of the (re)build. Show some of the thought that went into the redesign. We do get it by now. James is slow, the engines overheat, there's no power with the added weight... I was about ready to see some silly James + low bridge segment. I think a second car review would have fit better.

The second half was more entertaining. The sight of those cars heading into that choppy sea was exciting and absolutely ludicrous. I'd like to have seen May's car do a bit better. You'd of thought he'd deal with the centerboard issue after the first day. Why is it they never seal the air vents?! I had high hopes for Hammond's van.

That set is slowing turning into James May's flat, I think. With the chairs, the telly, the pipes, I suspect a picture of the queen will soon find its way on set.

Too bad snooker is pushing TG off a week.

The new format of the show appears to be 1 car review, 1 film, with star in a reasonably priced car in between the film. Before they'd fit 2 car reviews in there on top of the film and the star. I think I liked that old format better. Do you suppose the change in format is due to lack of new content or that it just takes too much time to produce the films?

Oh well.

Great episode, altho i also missed the BMW part, maybe it'll be in the next episode <_< But still Jeremy didn't let down he's nissanbota acctualy made it, can't wait to see tonight's fifth gear to see their response on the fire accusations. :D

The new format of the show appears to be 1 car review, 1 film, with star in a reasonably priced car in between the film. Before they'd fit 2 car reviews in there on top of the film and the star. I think I liked that old format better. Do you suppose the change in format is due to lack of new content or that it just takes too much time to produce the films?

Oh well.

Yeah agree the old format was better, but perhaps they haven't jumped in with car reviews because they knew that after the first two eps they'd be kicked off for a week with the snooker and just sort of thought that they'd enter the new series light?

I still think though that as the series goes on that they will get the balance between challenges and car reviews, or car review challenges

and i do still think that Top Gear, no matter how it may have changed, is still on of the best produced and funniest shows on TV and that the banter between the three of them is as great as ever

lol, hamster going in circles, james stuck, and Jeremy shouting abuse at them, meanwhile a Seacat is coming towards them lmao!!!

Im getting the torrent now so i can add some shots to my avatar and siggy, great episdoe, next week..... sorry week after looks like another cracker aswell. Keep em coming!

I can get one of those for less then 30$ but it won't say porsche on it :D

Nice episode!
-Pipes were very funy!
-R8 kicked as....
-I still don't get it.... How did they manage to go across!!

File size is killing me!!!

Last edited:
Loved the R8.
"Ah, Richard Hammond has joined us in his Beetle."
I almost pissed myself.

Well done!

FWIW, I agree with a lot of what Austere had to say. The boat segment did go on a bit too long and while there were laughs to be had, they could have been easily squeezed into, say, 20 minutes.

The R8 review - Beautifully shot. Richard screaming into shot in his car was fantastic.

I have to say, I'm a fairly recent convert to Top Gear. And as someone who only really started looking at it last season, if I were taken from the deepest rainforest having never seen the show before, and was told it was a "car review" show, I might wonder "really? 'Cos it looks like three mates cocking about, having a laugh and focusing more on entertaining the audience, than about cars". Then, of course I would have to own up to being a big fat hypocrite - because I watch Top Gear to see three mates cocking about and having a laugh, not necessarily for the cars. But how to draw the balance between entertainment and information? The debate will linger for as long as the show does, methinks...I think I'd rather see them review cars I could possibly afford in an interesting way, and tease us just a couple of times a season with their merry japes. Make it all the more special, then...JMO.

I think the three individual presenters' differing personalities lend themselves very well to informed and balanced car reviews, while their easy and witty rapartee with each other is, I think, enough of a gimmick to keep the audience interested. Do we really need to see them, say, resurfacing a road? (Oh wait....:rolleyes:)

All this from a noob on their 2nd post!! *Quakes nervously*

I just searched and saw no one mentioned it... But the thought of smearing honey into Keira Knightley, well it made me take my attention away from R8 for a moment.

http://img98.imageshack.**/img98/8336/keiraknightley1300400iu9.jpg

haha possibily one of the best episodes of Top Gear ever! TG's thunder is back! I loved it soo much. Was watching it during my study hall on my Zen, in school today. Couldn't help, but crack up. A couple students around me kept looking at me and laughing. I couldn't help, but think, you don't know what Top Gear is, do you?

Wasn't that 10x01? When he was driving the green Porsche?? :blink:

By the way, was that Hammonds Porsche?
Because the licence plates don't match:
vlcsnap221724.png

It was in both. And as far as his whether it was his Porsche or not, in the commercial for his book he's driving the same Porsche (well colour scheme at least) in it. So might be.