[10x02] October 14th, 2007

I think they emphasize well enough if a car has soul or not, Clarkson said driving the R8 is like smearing honey into Keira Knightley, I mean that's..inspiring! haha

Testing supercars all the time takes away from the magic of the event from both the audience and the presenters. I imagine that the presenters are naturally going to lack some enthusiasm when they test in all honesty a fabulous and fast car, but only say a week ago, they drove an even faster car, so it's a bit of a psychological let down.
I see what you're saying, but you've gotta remember the series isn't entirely filmed all in the order you see it on TV. Obviously the challenges and "big films" aren't, and I assume the well put together car reviews aren't on a weekly basis like the studio scenes are...? Also they all own "supercars" now, so they've got them at their disposal daily to drive them as they'd like, does that take away from their enthusiasm to test other performance vehicles?

I alway remember the music in my favorite scenes from the show becuase it fit so well and added another dimension to the scene, but honestly I can't remember really anything from most of the past few series. A few things stick out like some of the music in the amphibious cars, part I. But on the whole, it has been anything but memorable.
In The Air Tonight by Nonpoint in 10x01 during the Greatest Driving Road search was the shit.

It's not about being "more serious" like Valtiel says, it's about giving cars a heart and soul and analyzing their personality like they used to do so well. The old reviews used to stir the soul. I can find laughter in many places, but we'll never see anything like a good old Top Gear to bring cars to life for us.
Precisely! Last season when I was complaining about how the show had sunk to new lows a few people suggested that I might enjoy watching Fifth Gear rather than Top Gear because they focus on reviews rather than mucking about but Fifth Gear has never been able to do the reviews as well as Top Gear. They just don't have the charisma, insight or that ability to make you feel like you're right there with them. I don't watch Top Gear to be informed and to learn about a car I'm thinking of buying; I watch it becuase it's engaging and because the presenters are very good at bringing the cars to life.

I was alarmed by how many people thought the reviews were the 'weaker' part of the show and that the challenges and comedy sketches are "what they do best" and called for more of that sort of thing. I think some people don't 'get' it - Not to sound high and mighty or anything - but some people just look at a review of a Subaru Outback and think 'Boor-Ing' no matter how good the review actually is.

I don't like to criticize, and don't like to use strong words...
Oh man.... I love doin' that. :lol:

Btw, you can call me deaf or what not, but what is Jeremy saying in the first part of the Audi R8 review (pre-hammond) where he's like: "I mean I've got more headroom... how can there be so much space, when the car is so low." and at about 2:26 he goes "I can only presume... that my buttocks are kissing the ------". It sounded like Cat's eyes for some reason.

Btw, you can call me deaf or what not, but what is Jeremy saying in the first part of the Audi R8 review (pre-hammond) where he's like: "I mean I've got more headroom... how can there be so much space, when the car is so low." and at about 2:26 he goes "I can only presume... that my buttocks are kissing the ------". It sounded like Cat's eyes for some reason.

It would be Cat's eyes.
These things invented by Percey Shaw in 1933.
Catseye_closeup.jpg

Ohhhhhh.

Thanks for explaining that Peter :D.

Edit: Btw, I know theres been a lot of talk about James and how he's being ragged on and relegated to a mere comical prop once-in-a-while but don't you think that if he was a bit more assertive and punching back (rather than just taking all the hits), that the show might seem a little bit less depressing?

I know he's been taking a lot of hits in every season but occasionally he'd bite back and (for me at least) the episode seemed lighter and better and funnier.

I dunno, just a thought. Any other takers on this?

Last edited:
Guysss....
I have had a glimpse at the, i hope, the next episode of the series. Its a RACE,not a challange. hurrarr! Jezza , Stig, May and Hammond race across London at rush hour. Each of them take diferent methods of transport, including public. It looks good fun. I read the article in a boating magazine, there?s a clue for you.

See ya around ..
ciao :woot::woot:

One other thing I've noticed is that they seem to be more concerned with entertaining the crowd than actually making any sense. The news item about the F430 Scuderia, going on about Ferrari delibirately not making the F430 as good as it can be so that they could charge more for the Scuderia. The whole cheese analogy goes on and on while they all know full well that the Scuderia is a different beast to the normal 430. I would still get a normal one for every day road use, the Scuderia is a track car. It's not "better" than a normal F430. It depends what you want to do with it. The cheese thing doesn't work here. Now people think the Scuderia is better than the F430 in every way when in fact it has no carpets etc... Didn't they explain things better in the past?

Clarkson, in one of the best road tests (and one of the best bits of television) I can remember, compared the Nissan Cube to a block of cheese. Yet May, making a completely understandable comparison of the F430 with cheese, has "clearly gone mad". What's going on?

Similarly Hammond didn't put up a fight about the 911 being a more involved drive than the R8, which it almost certainly is. He just conceded so as to fit in with the script. Hammond has LOVED 911s for as long as I can remember, I seriously doubt he really thinks the R8 is "a better car".

And... Hammond saying he thinks the R8's engine is broken because he can't hear it? Yet the RS4, with the same engine, sounds like a "wounded tiger".

I thought the R8 sounded absolutely fantastic, and in the external shots of both the R8 and 911 going round the track, the soundtrack was completely and utterly dominated by the R8. You can't hear the 911 at all. But Hammond and Clarkson both make comments suggesting the R8 has nothing on the 911 for noise. Eh??

Am I nitpicking?

Last edited:
I see what you're saying, but you've gotta remember the series isn't entirely filmed all in the order you see it on TV. Obviously the challenges and "big films" aren't, and I assume the well put together car reviews aren't on a weekly basis like the studio scenes are...? Also they all own "supercars" now, so they've got them at their disposal daily to drive them as they'd like, does that take away from their enthusiasm to test other performance vehicles?

I realize that it's not necessarily in order, but throwing in an average car to balance out all the supercars provides a nice contrast for the presenters. Whether or not they follow a particular order (i.e. Supercar-normal car-super car-normal car, etc) shouldn't matter, they should still be able to reflect on how much better say the 599 GTB is to say a Fiat Panda. Now obviously they're not going to make a comparison but the difference they feel in driving should result in a greater amount of enthusiasm in their review.

Some of what I said above may be a stretch, it is mostly theory, but more to the point, it has a greater affect on the show and the audience. The way I see it is, average cars in the show enhance the supercars, they make them even more astounding. Compare it to say food. If you eat steak for the majority of your meals, it becomes less special, you get used to it and you take it for granted. People are just finicky that way. Now if you mix in a ham sandwich and some other everyday foods, suddenly the "magic" of eating steak is back.

That's the way I see it at least, and their reviews of everyday cars aren't boring or bad at all in my opinion. I actually think they're quite good and funny.

From TopGear.com

If you missed last week's episode - or you just want to watch it again because it was so darn good - that's on again this Wednesday at 7pm on BBC Two.

Maybe someone can catch the re-air and make a smaller rip.

Since I'm writting lithuanian subtitles, I just wanted to ask if any of you guys could translate (in english ofc) few bits from this [10x02] episode I didn't quite understand.

The dialogue goes during the news about Mini Estate and:
Jeremy: "It's an advertising slogan for that car."
James: "Is it?"
Jeremy: "No."
James: "I thinks it's a bit like ..." This is the bit i don't understand. (~15min53s - 16min00s)

I assume its some kind of joke about past events and it's not worth translating, but still :)

And during the interview I didn't quite get what Holland was testing Jags engine with. (~38min30s)

Thanks in advance. :)

Since I'm writting lithuanian subtitles, I just wanted to ask if any of you guys could translate (in english ofc) few bits from this [10x02] episode I didn't quite understand.

The dialogue goes during the news about Mini Estate and:
Jeremy: "It's an advertising slogan for that car."
James: "Is it?"
Jeremy: "No."
James: "I thinks it's a bit like ..." This is the bit i don't understand. (~15min53s - 16min00s)

I assume its some kind of joke about past events and it's not worth translating, but still :)

And during the interview I didn't quite get what Holland was testing Jags engine with. (~38min30s)

Thanks in advance. :)

"a bit like Tesco's own brand beans"
Baked beans, which would be an allusion to the analogy :)lol:) about the scuderia and cheese.

As far as the Jag, I think he was trying to say he just put a bit of...something (like a screw i guess?) on the top of the Jag's engine and it wouldn't rattle off even when revved, testifying the smoothness of the engine.

Last edited:
Just caught this episode for the first time on BBC America. I have to disagree with those who said the amphibious cars segment was too long. It wasn't long enough and started abruptly. I'd have preferred to have seen more of the cars' construction, to get a better sense of what they'd learned since their last attempt. The drive to Dover was not useless--it was designed to see how the revamped cars handle themselves on the road (not that well it turns out). I think anyone who has gone boating would be interested in the harbor and channel footage, and anyone who's had to cope with high waves would be riveted by the image of Clarkson's truck and Hammond's van getting rocketed about in the channel. (Were there any actual shots of the van sinking? I suspect it was somehow towed back to harbor the minute it began taking on water, and that the scene of May and Hammond adrift was staged.) That the truck actually made it surprised me, and I'd have liked to see more about the adjustments made after the first channel-crossing attempt. Crossing a reservoir is much less of an achievement than crossing 22 miles of open water, and this challenge was more than worthwhile.