[10x02] October 2nd, 2006

In the spirit of Tiff, Unbefuckingbelievable!! I cant believe how they have destroyed this show.

It wasnt that long ago that Tiff was ripping around a South African track in a GT40 (one of his best segments btw) Now we get this monkey shit with a new cocky jackass presenter that hasnt had any real driving experience!

What the fucking hell happened for them to slit their own wrists like this????

This is a new all time low for british car shows. Top Gear is on hold and Fifth Gear is worse than watching an infomercial about hemorrhoid cream.

Cant we have Jeremy and James do the show while the Hamster is getting well?? Two of them is better than nothing!

Airtight said:
This is a new all time low for british car shows. Top Gear is on hold and Fifth Gear is worse than watching an infomercial about hemorrhoid cream.

Cant we have Jeremy and James do the show while the Hamster is getting well?? Two of them is better than nothing!

Prop the Hamster up in bed and have him say: "Jeremy and James, you two get to work, save some juicy assignments for me, but give the people what they want."

Getting a BIT better..

I liked Tiff's bit the best....Tom's was pretty good as well...The car running on chip fat I liked as well because I never knew what viscosity was needed to make it work in a diesel...

Vikki was alrite as well...

But god...Lovejoy is so fake and not funny....really really annoying :thumbsdown:

older fifth gears and any top gear always gave me reason to not watch any american car shows. but at the rate things are going, i may as well just start watching whatever american crap they have on, the sense of occasion and sense of real joy has gone from the programming. it's like they "sold out" what happened to the independance?

did they ever say how much HP the new clio had? i was quite interested. and how heavy is 4 passengers? that didn't help at all.

as far as Vik and Love. they worked a little better together this time, can still tell it's too scripted now, which is sad.

the transitions just didn't go smoothly, it's like "blah blah blah.... and here's a clip of tom doing something totally unrelated to what we've been blabbing on about." total lack of fad in or out or just care in general.

the new camera work is just on off. they are too close to the cars all the time now. older series you could see the car taking a few turns, but now they have to go to another camera every time the car shifts weight.

does the show have a new producer or something???

second one definatly is looking up as far as an improvement. but still not the old fifth gear entertainment.

Tiff is the only reason I watch that show. I'm glad they fired that other BTCC race driver guy, he's was an asshole and needed a trailer for his ego.

Tom is finally doing some good work, I liked the Bentley piece. IMO, Tom and Tiff should present and review. Vicki can set a lap time.

Wow, I don't know what to say. Vicky, what are you smoking?? She's actually trying to flirt through the whole show. Disgusting.

I think I know whats going on here. Fifth Gear got their budget cut in half. They could only afford Vicki and some other moron to present the show. Tiff and Tom only test cars and do segments, with no in-studio presenting. The FifthGear headquarters was transferred to the BBC customer service call center. Leaving FifhGear to make a deal to present the show out of a cafe in exchange for free advertising and some bacon sandwiches for numbnuts.

Tiff and Tom were good. That is all. But I really wish they would do some more serious cars. Tiff in the EVO was alright and the Clio is cool, but it really is beneath Tiff. He should be driving a Bugatti around the Nurburgring or something.

scoops said:
does the show have a new producer or something???

Yes, as well as an all new crew including now a new lone director (they used to have 4-5 per episode) and a new lone director of photography (again they used to have 4-5). The only reason for a change like this is a massive budget cut, which to me is the exact opposite of what I would've done based on the last two seasons. But I don't know their ratings from the last two seasons so this could make perfect sense. Although, Lovejoy has got to go.

BritCG20 said:
Yes, as well as an all new crew including now a new lone director (they used to have 4-5 per episode) and a new lone director of photography (again they used to have 4-5). The only reason for a change like this is a massive budget cut, which to me is the exact opposite of what I would've done based on the last two seasons. But I don't know their ratings from the last two seasons so this could make perfect sense. Although, Lovejoy has got to go.

guess that means that they could probably use Tim's salary to help finance the show.

Budget cut definatly does expalin alot.

why not take the show back to a half hour program like it was in the past, there is enough there if they cut out all the talking. and i don't think anyone here would complain if the chit chat was done away with.

Well I don't think it's any better, shamefull stuff. It would be interesting to hear Tiff, Vicki and Tom's views on the new format. I know they still get paid; probably quite well, for driving nice cars around and giving their views, but I'm sure they aren't proud of their work.

It's interesting how this series has managed to get people that lurk on this forum to come in here and actually post - like me for instance - it really is that bad :(

budget cuts could easily explain it but they arent an excuse, some of my favorite TG bits were done in cars they got for under $1000.

FG people seem to think they need more expensive stunts so they spend thousands to rent machinery to wreck a crapped out classic car :bangin:

i wish they would just downright copy TG and do a cheap car challenge, where all the presenters would be roughly evenly matched. as is, they dont even intereact, it's like a news report.

In my opinion, this episode was definately an improvement on Episode 1, but its not hard to improve on shithouse. Whilst Ep 1 made me want to tear my eyes out, this was at least watchable (although only enjoyable in a few parts).

Lovejoy was improved, but still a waste of space. He brings nothing to the show. He doesn't have any car knowledge, isn't a driver, and isn't a technical guy. He's there to look pretty and what he says is vacuous. His parking officer segment was stupid. The egg and spoon race made me cringe. They should have used the "I'm a new boy" as a launching pad to stick him something outrageous like a Lambo, Zonda, or dare I say it, rocket-propelled dragster.

VBH's Freddy segment was just dull. I understand why they had it, given we're coming up to some major cricket matches/tournaments, but Freddy isn't exactly a motor head nor a particularly interesting interviewee. VBH's school girl giggles every five seconds were so freaking annoying. The only thing she has ever done well is car reviews/shootouts, so I wish they would confine her to that.

Agreed with others that Tiff's segment was good, but just too short and lacking on details. Where are the lap times? Where is a decent review of the car itself (not just how it drives on a track)? Tiff is Fifth Gear's ace and yet seems to get the least love.

Tom's segment was good, back to his old form. The old dude was funny (even if I have NFI who he is nor care). Loved the line about "this one's called daisy.... and this one's ... headrest". :p

As for the Johnson (or whatever) guy, I actually thought he did quite well this week. Agreed his segment lacked depth -- technical details please, not just "the engine was designed for peanut oil originally... therefore it works" -- but in terms of presentation I thought he was quite good. I hope they give him a more to chew on next time.

Oh well, here's hoping this turns in to a trends and Fifth Gear actually becomes enjoyable again.

Thought this episode was a bit better. It's becoming clear that the driving segments are okay, it's just the format and everything else that really sucks.

There is lots to look forward to - next week the LP640 and the week after the Gallardo Spyder :woot:

This is just so wrong, destruction of a good car show. I think FG is filmed well in advance (even the presentation bits), so the producers cannot do much about this series for now. In my opinion, TIFF also has to be partly blamed. On TG, what Clarkson says goes; here TIFF should also show some backbone. He used to be the main anchorman, now he is only there for five minutes only. The format in the last series was fine enough.

I have a sinking feeling that we are looking at the demise of the British Car Shows. FG has gone potty, TG is indefinitely postponed. Even the last series of TG was also devoid of good fun, the TG dog is one example of something completely pointless. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and the new series of TG will be a cracker and FG will also be restored to its good old usual self. Gosh..... I just realized that watching the new FG has turned me into a cynic and pessimist. Gotta go and watch some old episodes to uplift my mood.

Gak, how is it that they manage to make such a convincing hash of things?

s10e02 is better than s10e01, but only 'better' in so far as losing a leg is better than dying. The odd highlight is nearly completely buried under the annoying bulsh*t.

Why is there such a time imbalance between the presenter twaddle and the articles?

It's funny - there wasn't a film article I would have dropped - it's not that they were special, but Tiff & Tom were on form, and the cricketer and parking 'special interest' clips were watchable - once.

But they need to drop the woeful leadin / leadout artificial banter. Only then will they start to claw back time for shootouts!

That, and only one bumpf special interest clip per episode :x

Edit: - and they need to stop the rubbish carping about in the carpark.
Car crush, segeway - unless Tim is in the car, or under the segeway, not interested! cut the carpark and leave time for real car articles.

Electric-Mayhem said:
Honest answer........you are among the minority if you liked either episode so far in series 10.

Might have had something to do with me skipping parts of the Vicky-Lovejoy chatting bits. :D But Im only liking bits of the series so far. Some others I didnt mind, those that would have turned me into a Fifth-gear basher I probably skipped I think. I had no issues with Al-Gore though.

But I thought Lovejoy performed really well in the traffic warden bit. Some of you guys really have a discrimination against Lovejoy. :lol: Havent all of us received a parking ticket and/or wondered about the job of these people at some point of our driving life? He was even right about the supervisor and ticket issue in the end.

Remember that these shows werent meant to be watched over and over again, Top Gear just happened to be so good that you could watch it everyday. Fact that some of us have them on our computers raises our expectations a bit, me thinks. By normal TV show standards, I think they did alright. They even had some really good camera works this episode.

Although it must be said that they are probably (or rather, certainly) losing some fans.

Episode 2 was an improvement over Episode 1, but it was still only an improvement from explosive diarrhoea to a bowel obstruction, no matter how you look at it, it was still shit.

The problem for my mind is that they're trying too hard to be cool and hip and have thrown the content quality out the windows. I would prefer a show where all the hosts put on the Jon Bentley Sensible Pants and put together a more serious and informative show instead of the useless bucket of bile they're currently churning out.

Have to agree with SR71...Top Gear for me lost it's way a bit towards the end of the last series. Caravans and builders vans is just playing up to the masses too much. The car into a bat bit was hillarious, then they ripped the arse out of it...

FG on the other hand was going from strength to strength. Now it's dying. I also agree about Tiff as the anchorman. WerTF is he? How could an experienced presenter like Tiff endorse this horseshit? Has he really lost interest that much. Pu-lease...

I didn't even like it when they changed the theme music from the half hour to the hour show, but the content was excellent. Where's all the Auto Express type smashes and tests??

It's also sad to see that the justifiable venom unleashed after the first episod has abated e.g. this episod wasn't that bad etc. fuck that, FG was my favorite show on TV and the've crucified it - bastards...lol

It's 5th Gear re-runs on sky for me, as i've said before this series stinks. :?

Tom, Tiff and Jon Bentley is the golden trio. Vicky and Tim are just sad. They remind me of parents who try to be funny infront of a bunch of children and fail horribly.

scoops said:
i was quite interested. and how heavy is 4 passengers? that didn't help at all.

At 16:25 "it's like a quarter of a ton lighter than it's modern-day equivilant."

That makes it roughly 500lbs, so 4 125lb passengers.

I like the wheels on the new one...they remind me of the wheels of the Modeo ST220...I like that style of wheel.

I really do wish they would have told us who is better/who won a shootout.

~nj?