[10x03] October 28th, 2007

Hmm, maybe "pointless" wasn't the right word. Perhaps "soulless"? Like the craziness was purely manufactured for laughs, instead of resulting from the natural chemistry of the presenters and their subject matter. The Peel review was definitely the right sort, for example, and the early races.

Perhaps the problem is that we're all over analyzing too much and we should be aware of the fact that over time shows change, dynamics and ambissions change and we shouldn't compare too much to past series.

I to think that they should save the Africa episode till there a little bit more in the series run. And yes I do like the cocking about, yes they need to be careful of how much they do it, but I love it and the car reviews. And as far as I'm concerned as long as Top Gear entertains me and makes me laugh my arse of, I'm gonna keep watching and enjoy it. And nothing has made me want to switch over to Heartbeat yet.

Top Gear Rules. No matter what it does!!

Another brilliant, well balanced episode IMO. The Peel segment was classic, and Hammond's Veyron vs Eurofighter was real icing on the cake, even if he did try his best to ruin it by squealing like an 8 year old boy ("This is the best race in history"). But fair play and credit were credit is due, this is probably the first of Hammond's races which I've actually liked.

Must say TG is beating my own expectations. After the overall disappointment that was season 7 (worst TG season IMO), I didn't think the show would be able to improve by much, but season's 8, 9 and so far 10 have been brilliant, I hope they can keep it up. :)

coloradoSTi I don't agree at all, the way I see it I can find humour anywhere on television, but I can't find road tests done with that Top Gear magic. That's what they do best, and is how the show started after all.

I've been watching series 3 again this week, and it struck me that ALL the episodes in series 3 are far better than anything in the last two series. It's really sad. I guess Top Gear's new audience has come along and stolen our show. I still maintain they should make a seperate show with all your cocking about nonsense and leave Top Gear as Top Gear.

WillDAQ are you a pilot?

Must say TG is beating my own expectations. After the overall disappointment that was season 7 (worst TG season IMO), I didn't think the show would be able to improve by much, but season's 8, 9 and so far 10 have been brilliant, I hope they can keep it up. :)

Eh? Series 7 was fine. Series 8 was highly debatable. Series 9 was rubbish. Series 3, 4, 5 and 6 were the business.

Eh? Series 7 was fine. Series 8 was highly debatable. Series 9 was rubbish. Series 3, 4, 5 and 6 were the business.
*All* the series are good. Well, series one was a bit wobbly in places. It needed James May to really round the group out. There hasn't been a dud yet, though.

That's your opinion. Series 7 was rubbish (mostly). 3-6 were new TG at it's best, with 1-2 close behind. 8, 9 and so far 10 have been f'ing brilliant. 8)

That's your opinion. Series 7 was rubbish (mostly). 3-6 were new TG at it's best, with 1-2 close behind. 8, 9 and so far 10 have been f'ing brilliant. 8)

The Isle of Man tests of the V8 Vantage, M6 and 911, The Cayman, the RS4, the 3 supercars in France, the Focus ST, Zonda F, supercars for 1500 quid, James' test of the Clio, the Bugatti Veyron race, the R32 vs 130i...

Dude if you think that's rubbish, this show is not for you. The only thing wrong with it is that is was only 6 episodes long!

The three supercars in France... oh boy. Just look at it.

2001804783093678191_rs.jpg

TG has to be one of the best shot programmes ever, seriously.

Loved the bit where Clarkson drives behind the news people as the live newscast is happening! That was classic. I want one of those cars, P whatever they are called.

Also loved the Rolls Royce bit, Mays is the perfect guy to test that car.
All in all, just as everybody has said, a action packed episode. Loved the Lexus bit too.

http://farazharoon.spaces.live.com/

The Isle of Man tests of the V8 Vantage, M6 and 911, The Cayman, the RS4, the 3 supercars in France, the Focus ST, Zonda F, supercars for 1500 quid, James' test of the Clio, the Bugatti Veyron race, the R32 vs 130i...

Dude if you think that's rubbish, this show is not for you. The only thing wrong with it is that is was only 6 episodes long!

The shows not for me? Yeah, you're telling someone who's been watching it for the best part of a decade now.

I'll grant you the supercars in France, Focus ST, supercars for ?10,000 (not as you put it ?1500), and especially James Clio test were good. But the Isle of Man was boring and rubbish compared with their previous IoM trips, Zonda F was like 15secs long, Bugatti Veyron race was a huge let down, and Jeremy with the RS4 rock climb race was possibly for me the single worst film in all of new TG.

But it's a matter of opinion, I have mine, you have yours.

I love May's road tests. He is so eloquent, so he is particularly suited to doing that test of the Rolls. Not to mention the photography in that segment was beautiful with the night setting. (4:17-4:25 especially) I'd say the drophead test is one of my favorites all time.

I found it interesting that Clarkson didnt like the 599, but I would have to agree with him. I'll go for a 330 GTC though
John_Ratto_330.jpg

Amatuer Video (?) Of the Bugatti vs Eurofigther

Amatuer Video (?) Of the Bugatti vs Eurofigther

Don't know if you all have seen this, found it on youtube. Very raw and shaky, but you can see some of the pre-race runs and the photo cars and photo copters grabbing shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X7V7LMNF5Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3z1L0YMglo

BTW, this whole discussion about about "Top Gear" being too entertaining, not enough car reviews, being too commercial, not commercial enough, too staged, blah, blah, blah is simply tiresome. It is a TV show and a damn entertaining one. While the subject matter revolves around motoring, obviously, it is really about so much more and has been for a very very long time now.

I have watched and loved every single season, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I love the early stuff as much as the later stuff. If Top Gear was exactly like it was in Season 1 Episode 1, or Season 5 Episode 3, or whatever, why would I continue to watch? Why would they continue to make it?

Nope, I like seeing where they are going to take us next, it keeps TG fresh. Are there missteps along the way, sure and so what. You like the American Special, I thought it was pure stereotypical crap, "Borat Does Bama." The Polar Special was the best TV I have seen this Century. My point being they aren't going to hit home runs every night, not please everyone all the time. Get use to it or stop watching. But please, for the love of god, quit whining about it!

Just finished watching (yup, a little bit late this time) and have two minor complaints this week (Don't get on me if that has been mentioned before, I don't want to go through all the previous pages).

I cannot believe that the Veyron appeared again WITHOUT doing a lap on the TG track (What is VW worrying about?), and I felt that the Star in a reasonably priced car section was very long and lacked some of the esprit compared to other shows. Maybe it's been the personal interest of Clarkson in Rock bands (he was the one who's a huge "The who" fan, wasn't he) so that he took the chance and extended the interview a little bit, but it just felt too insider-ish for me as I was hardly familiar with any of the topics he brought up.

Apart from that, good work as usual!

I agree. I preferred Series 7 over 8 and 9.

I must admit, 10 has been great so far. I wonder if they are using the threads on finalgear to tweak their programming.