[10x03] October 28th, 2007

I WANT THAT SMALL CAR!

I REALLY WANT THAT SMALL CAR

and the rest of the show was just epic. the roller was stunning, the Veyron was amazing, Ferrari was alright

fantastic to see Hamster's helmet being used too :D

and

I REALLY REALLY WANT THAT SMALL CAR, AND TO DRIVE IT AROUND THE BBC!

edit: the car that's been in my sig for 4 weeks look familiar? :)

Last edited:
Absolutely fantastic. Jeremy's pieces to camera were awesome.
Superb pieces on cars, loved the banter and the bit in the Beeb had me pissing myself.

And I really wanna have a pint with Ronnie Wood.

Great part in the office segment is Jeremy on the phone getting advice on teeth whitening from a reliable source... good quote material there!

Oh yeah, best epiosode with regards to car stuff in a long long time. Really looking forward to the "fun in Botswana" next week - cocking about taken to the max (TG chaos + african chaos = potential disasters too numerous to list)!

However, donning the flame resistant suit I have to say i'm starting to get bored of super car review. Yes, we know there are lots of them and they're all very fast, but they seem to spend a great deal of time trying to do justice to the car so you basically get a track segment. I have no doubt that appeals to the petrol head demographic, but they're not the only viewers.

Eurofighter bit was very entertaining.. although the whole 'uses computers to make it more agile' thing had me pulling my hair out. The real reason is long and boring but basically it has nothing to do with agility.

Actually I agree with you on that 1st bit. They can never do away with the track vs supercar, but a change in format would be good.

Can you do a short but not boring explanation on the Typhoon? And is it also known as the Blackbird?:)

I love the Blackbird more. Can't they get one of those for next series??!! It's the one that throws blue trails across the sky, is it not?

*apologies for chatting 'plane' on car thread!!

Best episode of the series, definately. All the segments played to the presenters strengths; James was the best to review the Rolls, Jeremy the Ferrari, Hammond to do some outlandish challenge race. Ronnie Wood was a great guest and the shooting of the Typhoon was beutiful.

Overall it definitely felt like "Top Gear Classic" rather than "New Top Gear".

Can you do a short but not boring explanation on the Typhoon? And is it also known as the Blackbird?:)

I'll try... The aerodynamics of a plane flying aren't the same between subsonic and supersonic, specifically the wings generate lift slightly differently in each state. Hence going from one to the other is a problem as the plane becomes unstable. Normally you have to use tricks like pumping fuel around as the plane goes through the sound barrier to stop the tedious 'crash, burn' problem. The Eurofighter says 'sod that, let a computer sort it out'.

It's only a pity James doesn't look at his place in the news. In earlier shows, he said stuff about cars (remember the bionic fish ****), but in S9 & 10 whenever he says something it's to let the others make fun out of him...
Just my two cents!

Thank you!!:D
It'll take me a while to digest & understand completely, but is it when transferring between sub & supersonic, the computer tells the plane how to react?
Maybe we should have a random Top Gear Planes episode?

Dammit, forgot to post in correct thread lol.

Whoo! Epic episode!

I got the chance to sit and mess about in the Eurofighters at Conningsby when I was in the ATC as that base is about a 10 minute drive away from where I live, it's an awesome thing to watch when they're in the air.
Bit concerned about when they put the Veyron in front of it though for the spotlight shot, Typhoons suck in anything in front of the engine for 15/20 feet when they start up, that would have been the best ?64,000,000 explosion ever.

I love that Rolls Royce, can't wait to see one at the British Motorshow in London next year, I hope they get a Reventon on show too.

Good to Richard putting his helmet to use also :p

I'll whack a vid I've uploaded to Youtube of the Typhoon I took last year at Waddington Airshow, shows how quick they can move about. Just taking so damn long to process.... :?

Thank you!!:D
It'll take me a while to digest & understand completely, but is it when transferring between sub & supersonic, the computer tells the plane how to react?
Maybe we should have a random Top Gear Planes episode?

Kind of, essentially rather than trying to make the plane stable in both it's stable in neither, but the computer is quick enough to keep it under control.

http://selair.selkirk.bc.ca/aerodynamics1/High-Speed/Page6.html is the best I could find :?

Meanwhile back at the thread, If they're trip to Africa is anything like their trip to America it will be epic.

You'll be called Cousin It forever if you dare drive one of those!! The Peel was funny, not fun!!! (Unless you could actually drive it around your workplace, in which case, I'll shut up!)

Got the vid up, bare in mind at the airshow these things aren't allowed to fly over the crowd (Health and safety Nazis), it was doing full turns as soon as it got airborne

[youtube]wacAQcQ89qc[/youtube]

Brilliant episode. They fiited as much goodness into this episode as they have two or three in previous shows. Everything about this one was good.

I loved the start with the complaint about not doing reviews of resonable price cars, a throwback to the past series. Loved the news, I'm sure James would have been in it more but they likely cut some of it out cause him talking about tampons was hilarious, and the no smoking signs.

Yeah the episode was jam packed. jeremy in the peel hilarious, his source on teeth whitening, hehe. And the self parking Lexus. But overall very, very good ep was kinda like series 6.

Ahh Top Gear, how I Love You