[10x03] October 28th, 2007

I agree on the reviews of cheaper cars. Having only supercars IS getting a bit boring, which seems a terrible shame. And why is there never news about cars in the news?

I do think this was a good episode, and a step in the right direction. The segments were much more like it, but still, the point remains. Old Top Gear was better.

By the end of series 6, you'd have seen road tests of pretty much everything you can buy. How many new cars have come along since then and been neglected? Most of them.

Next week is the Africa special, which means another hour of valuable Top Gear time without a single review. Having a Veyron, a 599 and a Roller in the same episode is a bit silly, would've preferred to see a cheaper car in the mix, have one spectacular car per show like they used to do, even if it's "just" a Golf GTI.

What I don't understand is that they have the perfect formula already. It's called Season 6. Why don't they just go back to that rather than hunting for a new solution?

I DID enjoy this episode, but it's far from the best ever.

A truly great episode. Plenty to be watching, all of it decent stuff. It promted a nice note when at school today; "I want one of those Peels." "You know what I want. One of those typhoons. And a Peel. The Peel to drive me to the plane." :lol:

The Typhoon vs. Veyron was awesome just due to that plane. The way it simply takes off, then bounders skyward is amazing.

The 599 is a great car, and I really do want one, mainly because it is one of the best looking Ferraris for a long while.

The Peel. Well, what can we say. We all want one. We all can't have one because no-one wanted them back in the 60s. Great. Just great. But I thought the driving round the BBC Centre was a bit weird, and especially so when Humphreys stole it :lol:. And I loved the bit at the end when Dermot turned him round. :lmao:

And my views on the Reventon are changing. I'm beginning to like it... Shame they won't show the full road test.

And the Rolls Royce. Well, that is pretty damn cool. I would never go out in it without a suit on. That is a true cruiser there.

Also, can't wait for the Africa special. :D

ok, this episode is another example of how lost the new TG is. The peel bit was magnificent but way to short. Great editing and really funny to see JC driving around the BBC building annoying and taking the attention of other people. Hovever the Ferrari and Mays bit were really dull. Yes, the myface line was great but where are the good old car reviews from 7 and 8 th season. I want my MC12 reviews style back or korean cars or anything else from that period. I can not wait till africa challange because I know it will be just as a magnificent 9 season. The TG crew really has to find themselfs in what they want to achieve with this show.

Wow mate... This post has brought the art of being critical to WHOLE new levels. :blink:

Also, I just did a quick search in this thread and I can't believe no one mentioned the 599 beating the Z06. I figured there would be a lot of people yammering on about that.

WHO IS THIS CHICK!!!!!!???????

2002576001906580509_rs.jpg

^It's so funny how they cram the hotties to the front to make all the studio scenes look pretty!
Look at the goon next to her wearing his Stig t-shirt to a Top Gear filming... that's the one place I'd never wear one!

She is tasty though!

Top Gear deluxe.

2star1a.gif
2star1a.gif
2star1a.gif
2star1a.gif
2star1a.gif

I watched Top Gear on my 3.6 meter beamer screen in my bedroom, and with the sound around the usual "good that I don't have any close neighbours" level. So a masterpiece of television like this hour I just had made my media senses even more go pop.

DSC03529.JPG

Look at the 1.5 liter cola bootle for size comparison.

That looming background music during the rolls segment, and those wild perspectives and fast cuts during the veyron race: Brilliant. What a joy... And now, the Peel segment... I was in laughter at the same moment Jeremy "hopped" in that thing and it just started ro roll. That whole segment was a hoot: The "Office" satire and teeth withening gag in one shot. :lol:

My compliments to the Top Gear crew, the BBC, and again to Quiky for the download possibility.

Best thing on TV.
Greetings, lip
Not bad, not bad. I can only find a wall big enough to pull off 100" with the project I have.

This episode is the proof that hilarious segments should be car related. Peel and self parking Lexus are far better than road building or farming. Great Episode IMO!

Did you notice that guys during studio bits wore the same clothes as in previous episode, was it filmed the same day? I thought they are filming one episode every week.

By the way.... I was watching the peel segment again and did anyone notice the mess in JC's office at BBC, look at the blinds behind him :lol:

Clarkson driving behind the news readers...faked or did that really happen live?
I figure its the BBCs own shows, they could have done it for real this time.

Anyone know?
Probably faked, but then again, coulda been live as it wouldn't have been a big deal.

Great episode!!

Maybe the best so far.

The part I was looking for the most (the Peel segment) ended up being the one I liked less, but really funny anyways.

I loved the Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead review. I thought that filiming it at night next to the city of London, gave the film a really nice touch.

The 599 was great too. Did you notice how loud the tyres sounded while he was drifitnig??

And the Typhoon vs Veyron segment was brilliant. Specially with the editing and the music they used. And God it was great to see the Final Gear helmet!!!

Great Episode!!!

"Eurofighter bit was very entertaining.. although the whole 'uses computers to make it more agile' thing had me pulling my hair out. The real reason is long and boring but basically it has nothing to do with agility."

"The advantages of an intentionally unstable design over that of a stable arrangement include greater agility ? particularly at subsonic speeds - reduced drag, and an overall increase in lift (also enhancing STOL performance)."

Doesn't sound a lot alike to me.

Ok, the difference between cause and effect.

The cause which lead to the electronic flight control system being installed, is to reduce trim drag due to the difference in pressure distribution around the wing in a supersonic flight regime.

The effect of having such a system is also to allow you to programme such a system to provide greater agility.

If adding fly by wire is primarily used to increase agility, why do aerobatics or other subsonic agile aircraft not have them?

You see this is why top gear tend to wrap engineering up into a box marked 'science and maths'....

The news bit, coulda been on News24... but it wouldn't matter either way.

So how many people here have touched Hammonds helmet? :lol:

Clarkson driving behind the news readers...faked or did that really happen live?
I figure its the BBCs own shows, they could have done it for real this time.

Anyone know?

Real, he later drove the car right up to the newsreaders desks as well!

You serious?? That was actually on telly??? That is brilliant hahahahaha

The jet race looks bothced.

Not only did the pilot fail to ramp up the thrust before releasing the brakes as you can see by lack of afterburner against the pavement in the starting shot, but clearly visible halfway down the runway(which would have made the jet even faster at takeoff), but also I beleive the spoiler on the veyron should NOT have come up at any point during the run until it reached the end of the track. It looks as if the wing was up halfway through the track, meaning it was not in the special mode, unless it's because he took 2 minutes to brake from the high speeds.

You are an idiot. The Veyron was in its regular setting. Therefore the wing would have come up at probably 80-100mph or something. Perfectly normal.

As for the episode. Great episode. Packed full of entertainment. James' review was cool. The Ferrari review was very good. It almost made me like it but still don't hahaha glad Jeremy didn't like it. 180,000 pounds would probably get you an F40 though, but the classic car bit was good.

Veyron vs Eurofighter, thought it would be pretty shit....but was good entertainment.

All in all a great episode. Oh Ronnie Wood was awesome as well!!! If only they had of spent more time on his cars, but they had so much more to get through I am not too fussed.

Just have to add this as well: the cinematics during the build-up to the Veryon vs. Eurofighter race were unbelievable -- my skin was tingling!

Just managed to watch the full vid tonight (welcome to the land of throttling and work).

I have to say this was the best show of the season, to date. I'd say the Peel segment had to be the humourous. Excitement and car-nut segment had to go to the Veyron segment.

You are an idiot. The Veyron was in its regular setting. Therefore the wing would have come up at probably 80-100mph or something. Perfectly normal.

You're the idiot. NORMAL setting doesn't cut it. But they probably left it that way because they knew hamster couldn't handle a car hah. He should have used the 2nd key to put it in top speed mode which keeps the rear spoiler DOWN to a minimum level, to reduce drag. He said he was only hitting 189, because the damn rear wing was sticking out like your ears.

You're the idiot. NORMAL setting doesn't cut it. But they probably left it that way because they knew hamster couldn't handle a car hah. He should have used the 2nd key to put it in top speed mode which keeps the rear spoiler DOWN to a minimum level, to reduce drag. He said he was only hitting 189, because the damn rear wing was sticking out like your ears.

Dude... wtf? Making fun of someone's person because they disagree with you?