[10x03] Ratings - Good News!!!

ViperVX

Top Gear was up this week with 6.4 million and 24% share.

It shared its timeslot with:

Antiques Roadshow 5.8 million /21% (same)
Wife Swap 1.9 million /7% (5% down)
ITV1's drama "The Royal" 6.5 million /24%.

Top Gear took 2nd place in 8pm timeslot, losing only 0.1 to The Royal. More interesting, TG attracted almost 20% more viewers, than last week (6.4 vs. 5.2 last week).

The highest rated show of the night was Strictly Come Dancing on BBC ONE with 8.2 millions and 33% share. (about 7% raise)

Top Gear was the highest ratest show on BBC2 by 2.6mil viewers.

Furthermore, Top Gear episode 10x01 was only at 6/23% share, so overall it's up about 8%, which is very good.

Last edited:
Thats good news! - The quality that was missing from Season 9 is also defiantly back.

Hi,
ViperVX the whole thing about this ep I think is that there was a week off for snooker which made everyone, me included, wait for two weeks for Sundays ep. So the anticipation was there & when the show aired last night then we couldn't wait to see it.

All in all though it was worth the wait.

However it just shows that snooker will always take first place over TG whenever it's on BBC2 as it has a HUGE following....So much so that the Beeb put it first and suspend TG for a week....

And there's nothing the TG crew can do about it :p

Snooker is more popular than TG even given that TG is one of the Beebs best shows....

Go Figure :?

It's pointless to put sports & tv-shows against each other. Popular sports or/and final/playoff games always gonna win. The only thing, that matters, is rating(s) against other shows.

Last week Top Gear was down to 5.2, because it was up against Rugby World Cup & both share (almost) the same demographic, it even was 3rd behind Roadshow. As soon as rugby's gone - you see the result. I bet next week TopGear will get to 7mil.

Don't forget. The bigger the ratings, - the show can ask for more cash or do more "questionable, but funny" stuff.

It may seem like "ratings" stuff is pointless, becuase it's impossible to count the exact number of TVs tuned in to certain programmes, but actualy those ratings are MORE THAN 90% accurate & about 95%+ in America. It's even more simple to cound digital downloads (if available), TIVOs & illegal downloads. So you can get the exact number of viewers with accuracy down to +/- 100k (which is VERY good for the show with 25+mil worldwide audience).

Let's imagine for a second, that it's America. Top Gear gets the usual 24% share, which in America would mean about 20mil viewers (or more). This way they can ask for a HUGE amount of cash. Simple example - Friends, were average'ing the same numbers. Six main actors were paid 750k $ per episode (1mil per episode during final season), and they only did 22-24 20min episodes a year, which is about 2.5 times less than Top Gear (including filming), imagine how rich JC, Hammond & May would be... -> All down to the Ratings.

Last edited:
Keep up the good work Top Gear.

i remember hearing a while back that top gear is the most pirated tv show ever.

I wouldn't doubt it, given those ratings.

A guess where many of those pirates hang out?

Now, where are our wenches... :mrgreen:

/Seriously, where are they?

A lot! IMO 15-20mil people through telly. And ~10 mil through WEB.

i wonder how that compares to other prime time shows new ep being broadcast only in one country, but then being downloaded or viewed on the web by international fans who may have to wait up to a year to see the same show being aired in their native countries.

I know NBCs heroes has a large following as well as the past star trek series and have bee downloaded and viewed by ppl in asia and europe, just like europeans and americans are doing for new eps of TG.

Now, where are our wenches... :mrgreen:

/Seriously, where are they?

They're in my bed. My hook is ready.

/Wrong, it's not hook shaped, just a metaphor.
//Damn internets
///Be nice if there really were busty wenches in my bed

I am still waiting for the day when someone figures out a way to use torrent downloads as part of ratings. I know that the major US networks use their online streaming for ratings, but they are all limited to US computers only which kind sucks.

I am still waiting for the day when someone figures out a way to use torrent downloads as part of ratings. I know that the major US networks use their online streaming for ratings, but they are all limited to US computers only which kind sucks.

Never gonna happen. There are lotsa populat torrent portals, provate trackers etc. Total numbers of downloads can be huge, but the number of viewers could be N times less.

\o/

Question is: how many people watch it worldwide?

According to alot of places the global viewership is 350 million although I couldn't find a source of this statement it sounds a bit far fetched, and it's not for the latest episode. But it's still about 6% of the worlds population which does indeed sound a bit high for a tv-show following. It might just be the number of people that have ever seen an episode of topgear.

I would however doubt it's the most pirated show in the world, perhaps the most pirated bbc show, but my guess is that american shows like lost or heroes has about 100 times the torrent viewership as TG. (just taken from how many people seed/leach episodes the day after they're released)

i wonder how that compares to other prime time shows new ep being broadcast only in one country, but then being downloaded or viewed on the web by international fans who may have to wait up to a year to see the same show being aired in their native countries.

I know NBCs heroes has a large following as well as the past star trek series and have bee downloaded and viewed by ppl in asia and europe, just like europeans and americans are doing for new eps of TG.

YES! i want to watch Top Gear on TV... torrenting TG in Singapore sucks...sucky timing and sucky speeds to start torrenting... I think its only at ep 6 on FX channel which is a cable channel that no one watches...

For Example I was wathing shows in original language since I can normally understand sporen Englesh... around 2 years. IMO.

And for Russia some we need to wait for some shows around 2-3 years to be aried in our language. So that's why we have couple realese groups wich translate and re-voice series. Some of them are actually better voiced than on TV!

P.S. If someone want to check this out - try looking here (google translated versions) Lostfilm.tv, Novafilm.tv or if anyone wants I can open full acces to my FTP (~500 gigs of TV shows)

But. Yes. Back on topic :D

Great work Top GEAR!