[10x04] November 4th, 2007

I loved it. It was a very beautiful episode. I didn't expect the Opel to do so well in the beginning. I had a 2000 VW New Beetle and it never would have made it across like that old one. It broke down every two feet. Also, I like it when they have cars other than super cars. I think the super car road tests get kind of tiresome.

Absolutly loved it, way better than the American special IMO. Although it kind of felt like they were too scared of making any jokes that could be perceived as racist, for fear of getting in trouble back in Britain.
Also, I love the idea of them going from Sydney to Perth. But it might be a bit long for one episode, maybe Adelaide to Darwin? Or Perth to Darwin/Adelaide?

What a shit boring episode.

Did anyone notice that the Kadett's rear wheels got replaced with oversized alloys? It started out with stock hubs and stock tires.

I wonder why....

What a shit boring episode.

agree

I mean, I just watched it again and its just like cocking about, but without the cocking about... I mean, yeah the filming stuff is great, africa is beautiful, but the rest was indeed pretty boring.

And what really drives me insane, is that they still talk about "more points" and "points off" but they havent used a propper scoreboard since the van-episode... either use the points or don't talk about them...<_<
also, they recycled the Paint-stuff-on-the-other-car thing, but it didn't make any sense at all...

oh well...

Last edited:
It made sense. James was mucking about. Amusing himself, in much the same way that Hammond and Jezza were amusing themselves by doing things to his car.

Did anyone notice that the Kadett's rear wheels got replaced with oversized alloys? It started out with stock hubs and stock tires.

I wonder why....
i noticed it too, i think they changed rear tires to oversize when they crossed salt pans,
makes sense because stock tires are quite narrow (james and jeremy got stuck many times with stock tires)

yes, buggers me why they didnt air that in HD. ok, the cameras are worth quite a bit, insuring them for Africa would be pricy. but imagine that scenery in HD

I wonder why....
Didn't Hammond say at one point that Oliver cost around ?1250, leaving plenty of change to spend? Maybe it was intended to be one of those "do it up using the money you've got left over from the buy" deals? All the other cheap car challenges have had something of that element, though slightly differently in the American one of course. Might have been cut for time.

Loved the bit where they started to do a "Attenborough" commentary.

Also, what is the name of the car that Hammond was driving?

oh thanks, looked it up and now im in love with opel kadetts. especially the "C" series. look at this one.
they had great styling back in the 1970s. very smooth and simple. no busy angles and cuts.
what a beauty.

800px-Opel_Kadett_City_orange_pre_facelift.jpg

Last edited:
agree

I mean, I just watched it again and its just like cocking about, but without the cocking about... I mean, yeah the filming stuff is great, africa is beautiful, but the rest was indeed pretty boring.

And what really drives me insane, is that they still talk about "more points" and "points off" but they havent used a propper scoreboard since the van-episode... either use the points or don't talk about them...<_<
also, they recycled the Paint-stuff-on-the-other-car thing, but it didn't make any sense at all...

oh well...

Forget about the points. Its stupid anyway.

Overall I think 6/10. The scenery was amazing but that was it.
Old mercs :thumbsup:

oh thanks, looked it up and now im in love with opel kadetts. especially the "C" series. look at this one.
they had great styling back in the 1970s. very smooth and simple. no busy angles and cuts.
what a beauty.

800px-Opel_Kadett_City_orange_pre_facelift.jpg

They are also VERY reliable cars... My dad had a C, my mum a D and now I have an E :) Not especially pretty or "special" but they start EVERY time and always get you to your destination. Plus they are cheap and easy to service and get good mpg...

It hurt me when I saw what they were doing with the other cars and I was expecting James would do the same to the very rare RHD Opel. That car is just amazing. Opel the reliable (old slogan used in commercials)...so true.

A really nice episode, really fun to watch and quite educational. Have to go there someday, too.