[10x04] November 4th, 2007

I think it is fairly certain that it was real. The presnters had been talking about it before the show came out. Why, iif it was fake, would they not have footage of the chase?

Because . . . no one chased them.

That's not a meaningful question. If something never happened, we should expect there to be no footage of it. I'll again point out that there's no footage of anyone throwing a rock, nor of the station owner threatening anyone.

Can't you see that exactly the same circumstances surround every halfway-interesting occurrence in that segment? There's absolutely no video evidence despite many cameras present, only the word of the hosts.

Top Gear is about light hearted entertainment, the attack wasn't light hearted nor funny. It was real, why would he lie about it in his book??

Because it makes the book better (in someone's eyes anyway), and they think there are enough gullible people to believe it (hard to argue that conclusion, I admit). In other words, it's the same reason they'd do it on the show.

Because it makes the book better (in someone's eyes anyway),
It's just a passing mention, so that argument doesn't really hold any water. Hammond's book is not about lying. It's painfully, endearingly honest throughout. That's rather the point of it.

:lol: :( @ People who keep thinking the African Stig is Lewis Hamilton. As a black person that is both funny and disappointing all at the same time.

:lol: :( @ People who keep thinking the African Stig is Lewis Hamilton. As a black person that is both funny and disappointing all at the same time.
I'm with you. I found it funny at first. Then, I just found it sad.

I'm bringing this to this page just to remind everyone that this is actually what some people believe happened:

teletubby-warrior said:
-Middle of the F1 season.
-Hamilton's leading the WC.
-TG need a black stig.
-They call the only black racing driver on the face of the earth.
-Lewis drops everything and flies down to Africa between Grand Prix.
-He drives around a makeshift, dirt track in 3 dilapidated cars.
-Clarkson thanks Lewis for his services and tells him he couldn't have done it without him.
-Hamilton gets into his private jet and flies back to the luxurious hotel where his supermodel girlfriend is eagerly waiting for him.
:no:

x2

True, Lewis is by far the most successful black driver in the world, but he is not the only black person on this planet who is a racing driver.

x2

True, Lewis is by far the most successful black driver in the world, but he is not the only black person on this planet who is a racing driver.

Maybe it was Willy T. Ribbs. Oh, forgot that he can only turn left :lol:

Anyways. This episode was sheer brilliance. Oliver was just the icing on the cake :) what a tool! The other cars virtually smashed to pieces and that lil' thing worked even after the Hamster drowned it. Priceless :mrgreen:

I watched the "weight shedding scene" probably 100 times already. "may I just point something out. Hammond is going 'round the car muttering about he needs everything." "Thats like asking him to cut bits off his wife" :D

The thing that I liked most is, although Jezza and May were taking the piss for Hammond being attached to Oliver, they sort of respected that. They sort of excempted him from the usual "i run into your car" thing. Just shows, that they might be bashing each other for the camera, but in reality they are really good friends :)

Last edited:
the attack as in the hippo attack?

I think the reason Jeremy hates the Beetle is because it was one of the few cars ever made that was cheap and high quality. My friend fully restored a 1968 Beetle and I discovered why I have seen in my lifetime many Beetle owners pop open their windows before closing the door after getting in; the car is built so tightly when I shut the door I could feel the pressure difference in my ears.

I can see why they were built up to a few years ago, they were just...great cars.

Forgetting the fact that it was a noisy Hitler-mobile that hippies loved because of its "alternitivity" and it's "greenness'' of which it had neither. Plus they built the damn thing for what, 50 or so years before they got rid of it; its engine is in the wrong place, but its no 911(which he doesn't like either mind you...come to think of it they were designed by the same guy as well.)

Can't believe Hammond is going to take the Opel to the UK!
Fell in love with it instantly, as did Hammond.
Always liked old Opels/Vauxhalls :).

Forgetting the fact that it was a noisy Hitler-mobile that hippies loved because of its "alternitivity" and it's "greenness'' of which it had neither. Plus they built the damn thing for what, 50 or so years before they got rid of it; its engine is in the wrong place, but its no 911(which he doesn't like either mind you...come to think of it they were designed by the same guy as well.)

It's not the car's fault that is't a 'Hitler-mobile'.
As much as I hate racism and discrimination in any form or shape, I must admit hitler had some pretty good idea's (highways...).
Nevertheless, glad he didn't survive that war back then.
Anyway, the Beetle. Drove in one a couple of months ago. A pretty rusted old thing.
Let me see if I can find a picture...
Nope, can't find a picture. Did find a video though:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VGZ8eObxMg
Anyway, it's a brilliant car. It's 37 years old and has the 'feel' of a modern car. But that's the problem. I like old cars that drive like an old car. And somehow it doesn't. So... no beetle for me then. But given the time it was produced in, it's a brilliant thing.

Still waiting for the download to finish...

But my first choice would have been a VW Bug.

Produced from 1938 - 2004.
Like to see another company beat that record.

This episode must be one of the best ever, don't you think?

Richard's switch to alloy wheels

Richard's switch to alloy wheels

I was just re-watching this episode and noticed that about 15 minutes in the rear wheels on Roger's Opel are changed to alloys. It happens when they hit the desert. They make no mention of this in the show. Did any body else notice this? Any thoughts?

Richard mentions he got rid of the spare wheel - maybe the spare wheel was a different (bigger/wider) wheel with a different rim. Before the challenge they were given the suggestion they should use as wide tires as possible so he thought "one wide tire is better than nothing", put the spare wheel on and threw the thinner tire as "spare wheel" away.

[edit]
I looked a bit closer and agree: both of the wheels on the rear axle are changed, so it couldn't be the spare wheel since, well, obviously he spoke about "the spare wheel" and not "the spare wheels"...

Nice find. :)
[/edit]

Last edited:
I was just re-watching this episode and noticed that about 15 minutes in the rear wheels on Roger's Opel are changed to alloys. It happens when they hit the desert. They make no mention of this in the show. Did any body else notice this? Any thoughts?

Who's Roger?

I think he rather means Richard (since the Oliver is the Opel and not "Roger's/Richard's Opel). ;)