[10x05] November 11th, 2007

[...]Quite nice to know a Skyline GTR R33 is there if anything burns :p
... maybe it?s there for CPR when Clakson has an Heartattack ... just rev it up and he?ll be back alive, jumping in for a quick lap ... :D

Liked the Episode a lot ... and I think it?s great Simon Cowell is now on Top of the Board now because everybody hates him and will want to beat him. It?s not the having fun, it?s not the taking part ... it beating Cowell around the track. He is a great Guest, they don?t often have People who can keep up with Clarkson when it comes to insults. Cowell definetly can.
The London Race was great, but I had no doubt the bike would beat Car and Boat from the beginning. What I would have guessed though, is that Public Transport would have won it. I?d have bet money on the Tube, but I guess the London Tube is as Bad as it?s reputation :p
The stupid Rocket-Rollerblader, I had already seen on German Telly ... too bad he didn?t explode. One attention-whore with new stupid stunts every Year less on German-TV wouldn?t be a bad thing. :mrgreen:
The Caparo ... more than 10 Seconds slower in the dry than a 2004 F1 Car in the slightly wet (5x08 ). :lol: There is no Point in the Caparo ... it might be road legal ... but it?s not a Car you could actually use anywhere else but a Track. And that Road-equipment (wich you?ll never need because you won?t drive it on a public road in Fear of Potholes, small stones or speedbumps) only slows it down on the Track. I don?t know why they botherd testing it from the start ...

Cowell and Jezza destroying each other in statements!!!!!! Too bad JC took the Caparo's time off the board... WHY? WHY? WHY? (I think it was a set-up error from the Caparo technicians before giving it to JC)

Fantastic race... fantastic.

whats the red poppy thing i see them wear once and a while on their jackets?

Read the thread :rolleyes:

The Caparo T1 does not belong on the laps board IMO. It might be technically road legal but in addition to it being a mess of a car you'd also have to be a very talented driver not to die in it. Look at the trouble JC had keeping it on the track and it's not like he isn't used to driving very quick cars.

Last edited:
Right back in the day when they defined what could and couldn't go on the board I am fairly certain the key issue they mentioned was that of the road hump. When they tested that Radiacal a while back they had to check it still met the test, so I see no reason now to abandon it.

The Radical like Westfield actually went up on the board - and then vanished iirc.

They should have a track-day board for cars that are road legal, but not road practical and put..

Atom
Radical
Westfield
Capdeatharo

on it

DOug

Just spotted this...

https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/11/12/capture2.JPG

Quite nice to know a Skyline GTR R33 is there if anything burns :p

DAMNIT! Someone beat me to it. I'm not going to bother reading through the other 6 pages to see who else noticed it.

I noticed it before that shot, though. I had to stop the video, rewind a few seconds, and then watch and pause. They do a shot of it from the rear left quarter and you can make out the distinct R33 bezzle of the taillights and then you can catch the corner of the GTR wing. I used to see that signature wing almost every day back in the States on my friend's R33 so I would know it anywhere.

Gotta admit, I liked this one a lot. A few points:

1. The Return of Oliver, or Hammond Does Clarkson Lite: Seriously though, I think we're going to get a few progress reports in this series and the next as Hammond reports on how that Opel Kadet gives him variations of the problems that plagued Clarkson and his Ford GT.

2. The Aston Martin: y'know, if they ever get round to reviewing the DBS, I really -- really -- think they should get Daniel Craig to be a guest test driver. After all, he's never driven the production model before -- and who else has more of a right to be associated with the thing?

I also have to wonder how the Vantage roadster would do against the Vantage coupe in an all-out drag race.

3. Crossing London: Y'know, there's only so much you can do with "silent, enigmatic Stig" before it becomes a tired joke, and I think it's hit the threshold now.

Also, I think the last bit at the end (where the presenters tried to come up with excuses as to how the car really didn't lose) sorta weakened the whole thing. Far better to have come up with a Top Gear Top Tip: "Yes, a bicycle *can* beat a car going across London -- *if* you don't mind looking like a sweaty, smelly, tired and sweary tooth-whitened berk at the end." :)

The Caparo ... more than 10 Seconds slower in the dry than a 2004 F1 Car in the slightly wet (5x08 ). :lol: There is no Point in the Caparo ... it might be road legal ... but it?s not a Car you could actually use anywhere else but a Track. And that Road-equipment (wich you?ll never need because you won?t drive it on a public road in Fear of Potholes, small stones or speedbumps) only slows it down on the Track. I don?t know why they botherd testing it from the start ...
Well to start with it's amazing that a road legal car, on road legal tires is just ten seconds of the pace of a 2004 spec F1 car on super sticky race tires, as those cars are the fastest F1 cars to date. The laprecord at Fiorano for instance is still held by Schumacher in the Ferrari F2004. The Caparo has a 1000hp/ton, whereas a 2004 spec F1 car had more like 1600hp/ton, and lots of electronic driver aids. Then you have to factor in that the T1 they had on the show was just a pre-production test mule. Once it's ready for production it will have all of it's pre production glitches sorted out, and a setup that works in slow corners, it shapes up to be a truly amazing car.

Besides as pointed out earlier, it's ground clearance is just an inch less than an Enzo. So I don't see any problems using it on the road to go to a track for instance. As far as I can see this car makes no less sense than a Radical, Westfield XTR or an Ariel.

Anyway, this was annother great episode, and I really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Great episode.
The "Team America Secret Signal" was something I NEVER would expect at Top Gear! Never! :lol:
Oh, and I think it's a good thing they tested the Caparo. Sure it's impractical and noise and all of that, but it was nice to see how fast it is, despite all of that, because that's what lap time are all about: a number, something objective so you can compare it to other cars.
An despite all the drawbacks, I must include it in my dream garage. When it?s not broken, it must be great fun.

Excellent episode!

The London race was epic and the Stig was great :D. It sure looked like Top Gear Dog behind Hammond at the start of the race. The news segment felt good too, felt less scripted than the previous ones in this season, and no major James bashing either :thumbup:. The Aston is a very cool car, I really like it.

Excellent Ep. love the Caparo T1 test.. and the Race in london was very funny and exciting to watch... Simon was very funny too. They just need Jimmy carr to come back and do a third lap... He messed up on the first show with the new car... I wonder if he could knock simon off... lol

Next weeks should be a good show.. Lewis should be on soon.

Awesome show. Stig was class especially at the escalator (they did say in an intro once that he was confused by stairs) I'm glad Hamster won the London race - Clarkson always seems to win those. Didn't know you had to request permission to go through the Thames Barrier though.

The Aston didn't look as nice in cabrio form as the Jag XKR, the XKR is slightly less chubby.

I'm waiting for Clarkson to "do something" to Oliver - Knowing him he'll do a "Stone Cold Steve Austin" monster truck demolition on it :p

One question;

Which episode had the Renault F1 car on it?

Well... it's not going to be next week, so there are 4 more potential episodes left. I'm sure it will be a racing-themed episode, with the R25 2005 car driven by Hammond, TG's adventure in the Britcar 24h and Hamilton in the old Liana.

Thanks - but didn't they already do it in a previous series?

bahahah, awesome ep, not as funny as i'd have thought, but certainly kept the smile on my face throughout and widened it at times. This is turning out to be TopGear, oldschool! :D

At the end of Series 5, Renault gave them their 2004 car (because the 2004 season had just finished) to see if the Stig could take it round the track in under a minute. It was a different segment.

"The Stig" there wasn't the real Stig, it was the Renault test driver at the time [Heikki Kovalienen? (sp?)]

was it me or was one of the rescue cars a R33 Skyline with a CF hood??

Look at 18:00 and 18:32...

EDIT: DOH, sorry just found the post on page 7.. ><

Good that someone else noticed too ^_^