[10x06] November 18th, 2007

[10x06] November 18th, 2007

• Total voters
Did the camper van race seem like almost a remake of the "Historic People Carrier Championship" to anyone else?

The Civic Type R section was OK, but certainly I would prefer the new one over the old one. Much cooler. Sad to see that Jeremy doesn't like it.

The two estates were great. I laughed when he took them offroad; Sort of. Which one would I have though? They are both amazing. And the boot in the Mercedes is pretty cool. But then theres the fact that you've got a V10 in the BMW. But as important that is in the pub, you can say you've got a 6.2l V8 in your car with the Mercedes. Hmm. Tough one. I'd end up with the new RS6 though.

The Star In A Car section droned on a bit. It was a lot longer than usual, which I didn't really like, but there you go.

The Alfa section? Hmm... Not so sure about that. It was another random quick little 'race' in which the car lost again. It doesn't prove anything. And I don't like that 159.

The motorhome racing was more amusing. Loving the 'structural rigity' Hammond mentions... And the bit where James got lost on an oval.

But I do agree with Jeremy on 'The Performance'. What a machine! I agree with GraemeH on that I would also spend ?750,000 on that instead of a yacht. Underneath I would have an Aston V8 convertible. The business that is.

And I like the new addition of a poll.

Reboot said:
Did the camper van race seem like almost a remake of the "Historic People Carrier Championship" to anyone else?

I believe it was the same track. So yes.

EDIT: Fucking Woo! 1000 posts! Wahay! :woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

Last edited:
Boring news, boring guest, 3 great reviews. 4/5 :thumbsup:

That pretty much sums it up for me.

Very mixed feelings on this episode. Part of me was very happy to see so much car stuff back in a TG episode, just as good old TG used to be, but part of me felt it was by no means great. The news was extremely bad IMO, especially since these days it's very off-topic. It's OK if the jokes are funny but in this case they weren't, and the fact they barely made mention of any car related news made it feel as though it dragged on. Star in the Lacetti was also unnecessarilly long and plain boring IMO.

Both James and Richards segments felt like badly recycled old TG material (which they were, tbh). Hammond's done a number of races already with pretty much the same BTCC line up, and unless you're a new TG fan another re-hash was not needed.

And as for James review, I find it quite sad that the producers don't trust James do a straight review. Don't get me wrong, James races are pretty good (like the parkour and Portugal mountain biking), but the guys been working in motoring jounalism for almost 20 years, surely they should have enough faith in him and allow him to do a good, plain car review, rather then putting him in a (pretty pointless and boring) race.

Basically, the 'cocking about'/non motoring segements let the episode down (not for the first time in recent TG history). The serious stuff i.e. Jeremy's two reviews, saved this episode IMHO.

Last edited:
I get the feeling for some of you they will never get it right. When there is cocking about, you want to see Powwwerrrrr, and when there are cars with Powwwwerrrrr you find it all a bit dry and boring. Well, I liked it. Not every episode will be to everyone's taste, but the be quite frank, this series so far has been much better than the last one- so thumbs up to them all and let's hope that the last 4 (!) that are still waiting for us will be to everyone's taste. :thumbsup:

for another hidden easter egg on this episode please see my post in general discussion. Might not be your favourtie Ep but im sure some guys will love it for another reason!

I liked it in general. What I didn't like was the motorhome racing and light setting (knock knock) on the M5 v E63 review. Why couldn't they've done it at daytime?

Most funny thing was when Jeremy sat in the Civic, with the speaker on full whack. :lol:

Was a good episode on the hole. I don't know if I was too keen on the 159 segment, I think it was going to be in the last season but got cut.

Type-R Review was awesome, lots of nice camera work with some very pretty car, notice that Fifth Gear only had good to say about the Type-R, they seem to put a positive view on a lot of crap cars.

Also, the drivers used in the motorhome racing, Anyone else thinks they might be The Stigs?

I liked it in general. What I didn't like was the motorhome racing and light setting (knock knock) on the M5 v E63 review. Why couldn't they've done it at daytime?
Ever been to Manchester Airport? I wouldn't want to be delayed for something like that ;) Looked nice in my eyes anyway... Maybe you get too much night these days in Norway, so you cant appreciate it :rolleyes:

I gave it 5 stars, kept me fully entertained, I even liked the star in the car. Sure the camper van racing was just a copy of people carrier racing, but who cares, it was spectacular especially the last van finishing on it's roof!!

I do like how they can just enlisted the UK's best touring car drivers whenever they need to do something stupid.

Just a jam packed episode. top

Great episode, packed with 4 different road tests. The new Type R I was shocked & disappointed with it, the Alfa 159 is stunning but 2 years late :p, nice to see it atlast though. And the Estate car review was ok but nothing too special & the motorhome racing was probably my favourite part, Great! :D
Overall I'll give it 4/5 8)

Two brilliantly filmed tests from Clarkson, and nice to see him getting away from Dunsfold for the first time in a while. Alfa was OK but was definitely filmed for a previous series, and as such seemed a bit stale. The RV racing was great fun to watch. Probably the right balance.

On a side note - did anyone else find the sound quality a bit weird for the episode? Didn't seem to have the kick that most episodes do - even the theme music sounded less punchy.

The opening theme song did sound a bit different, like what they used for the 1st series I think.

This episode, was one of the best I have seen in a long time.

The Civic Type R - Spot on review. I for one, usually never agree with Clarkson, but this was an exception. I could not believe my ears that a Type R (A TYPE R!) had a torsion beam rear suspension. I expect that on Cobalts, not a premium hatchback with a legendary...dare I say it? Pedigree. For shame, Honda. You dressed up the Type R to look like a winner, but came very short, performance wise.

The Alfa 159: Another beautiful car we in America will never see. Good review, lots of shots to ogle over.

The Estate comparison: Never did I once until now did I rewind the episode just to see a BMW M5 wagon drifting. That was another good film.

Caravan racing: I nearly wet myself from laughing.

A great episode overall.

Last edited:
What annoys me is the fact that they edited the race at the end o that the Small red Toyota looses and regains its white roof...

On a side note - did anyone else find the sound quality a bit weird for the episode? Didn't seem to have the kick that most episodes do - even the theme music sounded less punchy.

Either the makers or the broadcasters screwed up at some point this week. The show or at least the beginning and end titles were transmitted in mono with one of the channels missing. The Top Gear theme is very much a stereo track. If you play it missing the right channel, it sounds like it did tonight, and on the BBC Prime rips too :)

Anyways great episode tonight. I think they've got the screwing about and car review stuff at a perfect mix now. I really love that Alfa 159, i love all Alfas. When James first said he was going to do the review without mentioning passion or soul, i knew he'd fail because that's what Alfas are ;)

I prefer the new Type R as well, but then i've never driven one so only go on looks and interior pics. I wouldn't be that bothered if it didn't drive as well as the older one personally.

Caravan racing had me in stitches. And of course we had the FinalGear helmet all over the place in that one. Carrying under his arm in one clear shot too.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/11/18/snapshot20071118194628.jpg

Hi. I'm just watchin the episode. I didnt understand what this guys sister died of. Listend to it 3 times now, but dont get it :(