[10x09] December 9th, 2007

[10x09] December 9th, 2007

• Total voters
More Britcar

More Britcar

This is one of those episodes where I would love for them to make a behind the scenes DVD.

This was a fantastic episode and would've love to see more of the Britcar scenes.

Looking at the race resuts, perhaps the stig really isn't the superhuman his reputation says.

After 23 hours, the best lap by Top Gear (i.e. by the stig) was 2:16.2. The best lap by Saxon, using another BMW 330d was 2:15.2. Top Gear's best lap was done on their second lap, when the stig was at the wheel. Although IIRC, they were only on 5 cylinders at that point.

Looking at the race resuts, perhaps the stig really isn't the superhuman his reputation says.

After 23 hours, the best lap by Top Gear (i.e. by the stig) was 2:16.2. The best lap by Saxon, using another BMW 330d was 2:15.2. Top Gear's best lap was done on their second lap, when the stig was at the wheel. Although IIRC, they were only on 5 cylinders at that point.

True, however even though they had the same model car they didn't have the EXACT same car, they could of been on different tires, the saxon engine could have been putting out slightly more power, there are just too many factors to consider to say such a thing bout the stig

10/10

always 10/10 ^^

and a little treat for LFS players :rolleyes:

http://img137.imageshack.**/img137/7974/previewgh3.th.jpg
http://img252.imageshack.**/img252/9118/xrgtgbeemerch1.th.jpg
5 min job

this is definitely the best episode ever
even better than the polar challenge, even better than the american trip

Great episode, finally they properly won something, though James lost yet again, to just about everything now. I really am glad they finished the race too.

Time for some Larsen Biscuits :D

:drool: for the Ascari, he didn't do it as much justice in SC showdown

I don't think the Britcar endurance was a bad thing for TG to do, but it just felt wrong in an episode with the other stuff either side. I am sure it would've been much more captivating had it been a 'special'.
It's a shame to think of what might be laying on the cutting room floor...

After waiting til 2 in the morning for my torrent to download, I am SO glad I did! It was worth it just for the Britcar portion. You really got a sense of their passion, and competitive edge, and just desire to do well. Clarkson at the finish line was really touching... poor little car! And how gutted Hammond looked when he thought he had botched it for everyone...

I already knew the result but it was something else seeing it all packaged together! GO THE MECHANIC! It would've actually been nice for the Britcar part to be a whole episode by itself, like the Polar Special... some more detail would've been nice... but I suppose there is only so much you can show of them driving around in circles over the course of a day... Kudos to those who were there...

:)

P.S. Now preparing to be flamed by the entire racing community...
P.P.S. So yeah, my entire post could be summarised as "ditto" to Jezzabelle really... ;)

True, however even though they had the same model car they didn't have the EXACT same car, they could of been on different tires, the saxon engine could have been putting out slightly more power, there are just too many factors to consider to say such a thing bout the stig

its a thought that came to mind, but their car was busted, especially towards the end where its handling was completely off.

the first time stig went out for half of his race time, he passed 20 cars! that includes the nice astons. He also posted a better time at night than during the day, and if that doesnt make your jaw drop in aw, anf respect for the stig, then go to 5th gear and watch the wool.

I really loved this one...I'd been looking forward to it since the reports from those who were lucky enough to go. 10/10 for me, personally.

Does anyone happen to have (or know where to get) screencaps of this episode at all? Thanks for any help. :)

The cinematography was, as it is always, fantastic. I'd like to point out Top Gear's continually excellent editing, though, as even more important. Those editors create a real sense of excitement during reviews and challenges, and make sure the beauty of the shots, the humor, and the information all make it through in an entertaining fashion. I'm sure it's no easy task; my hat is off to them.

Definitely a great episode; one of my favorites.

I loved this episode so much the only thing i said when it was over was "I'M GONNA WATCH THIS A MILLION MORE TIMES!!!!!!!!"

The Ascari was great and set a blistering lap time - better then I thought. The Fiat 500 in Budapest was an eye candy and I really like that city.
And then you get to the britcar segment. the only thing I can say is I wish it was a full special and not just a segment in an episode because as TG goes, that was one of their best, if not absolute best segment. I loved it!

A 10 for me and if I could it would have gotten more.

The race was clearly the best part of that episode. BUT!

Whoever attended the 24h of the Nurburgring will agree that this is the real deal. Please, please, Jeremy, Richard and James, do sign up for the Nurburgring race. This will make your Silverstone race look like a walk in the park, I promise you.

Absolutely excellent.

James test of the 500 was great I thought, but I like all the tests that James does.

Ascari is an amazing machine. You can see how razor sharp it is cutting through the corners. I think Jeremy's quote about the 911 Turbo makes most sense with the A10. "It feels like I'm drawing a line through the laws of physics"

Star..."meh" (reason why it only gets 9 stars from me) Now this might sound arrogant, but I wish they would invite some more guests that are not JUST known in britain, more racing drivers! What about Kimi? Marcus Gronholm? How about a nascar driver? That would be interesting.

The Britcar race was just utterly fantastic. You can easily see that being consistent is far from important than being fast in an endurance race. It makes me want to do it sooo bad!! You can also plainly see that the Stig is a world class driver...whoever he is...

Was the race on silverstone international or silverstone national? I want to see what times I can get in forza. hehe

I had to give the episode a 7. Although I really enjoyed the epicness of the Britcar part (which I liked) I think that in this episode was a likkte bit too packed with things.
Like other people said It should have been a proper special. Anyway, as any Top Gear episode this one was also great!

I gave this episode an 8 mainly because, as others have said, I think the Britcar stuff would have done better as a stand alone special. (And yes I realise they can't do too many specials but one more wouldn't hurt. Would it Andy?) The studio stuff and the two other films seemed a little rushed and awkward. Keith Allen was ok *shrugs* but nowt special.

I'm hoping for extras on a dvd release of the race....

I agree with everyone that has said it should of been a special because it was pretty special to me and i think the best challenge to date. Who ever the stig is he definitely knows the track, you could tell he had a feel for it by posting a good qualifying time and his night racing was fantastic.
It was a great episode and the bike stacks were cool to watch.
A great combination of everything I love about Top Gear, except the SIARPC...