[11x03] July 6th, 2008

[11x03] July 6th, 2008

• Total voters
This is the firstTop Gear Episode in years that actually raised true emotion for me.. I stayed up all night to watch it, its now 6:54 AM, and im done. And I LOVED IT.

Bentley brooklands film was brilliant, lots of tiresmoke and exitement, but in the rating of this episode, it was irrelevant, as were the news, and the SIARPC. They were Irrelevant, because by the time Jeremy got to overtaking that focus, I had decided in my mind that this episode is going to get 10/10. I actually vocally cheered in severals part of the alfa challenge, especially when Jeremy played the song through his Ipod :).

Right now, im scouring a Finnish used car site for a cheap, old, rwd alfa romeo project, that I could perhaps buy in about 6 months (I know none of the cars currently on sale will still be there in six months, but Its irrelevant, since Im dreaming anyway.). My parents will buy a new car in, dunno, 2 years?, and Im going to try and convince them to buy a 3.2 Alfa Romeo 159... This clip changed they way I thought about Alfa Romeos.. Before I wanted one very badly, now I need not worry, because I WILL OWN AN ALFA ROMEO IN MY LIFE. It's written in stone.

For that, I award this episode a 10/10, I would give it more if I could.

Btw, I found a 1970 Alfa Romeo 1750 that needs, quite a bit of body work(no rust though), new paint, and everything yuou might need to get it running after been stored in a garage for 20 years. Cost 1100?. I dont have a place to work on a car, I have never worked on a car, and dont have a drivers licence. But believe me, if i had enough money to buy it, I would.

->Off to watch the ep. again.

Thank you Top Gear.

Score: 8/10

Overall it was good, though I'm getting a bit worn on the CCCs (cheap car challenges). As some have said already it's becoming a bit more of the same, and I was getting annoyed with Hammonds constant "accidentally" bumping into James. As usual SIARPC was about 10 minutes of me waiting for the rest of the show to continue. The Bentley review was pretty good as well.

Loved it!!! Even better than last week, principally because the boys were being clots again.

Jeremy's Bentley review: It reminded me of the reviews he did back in Series 5 and 6 that I loved so much. It had smoke and oversteer, but it wasn't about that like more recent reviews. Very nice!

The news was very funny this week, and informative. BTW, for those that don't follow American open wheel racing, the girl in the red bikini is Danica Patrick. She has won a race in IRL, but when they parade her around in bikinis and tight shirts, there is no denying she is and will always be a sex object. Furthermore, I want to know where I can get one of those "Sign Not In Use" signs. As an irony fan, I must possess one.

Alfa Romeo challenge: What else needs to be said? The guys doing what they do best, though they may get carried away with this always ramming James's car thing very quickly. Which wasn't fair in this challenge because his car was definitely the best looking.

SIARPC: I'm officially tired of the two guest thing now and I want it to end. However, it was great to see Rob Brydon again and the chap he brought along was quite good entertainment. But not quite as important as James Nesbitt since they didn't get him an automatic car. :mrgreen:

And did anyone else notice there was no Stig? Or Top Gear Stuntman? Well they can kill off Stuntman, that routine will get very old very fast. But Stig, come on! Just give him a random car to do a lap in if you must, he needs to be on the show every week. They made the reference that the new Scirocco looks like Stig's helmet, well let's bring him out for comparison!:mrgreen:

I gave it a 9.5 out of 10 for lack of a Stig and still the double guest thing.

Aside from Star In a Reasonably Priced Car, which I typically skip unless its actually someone interesting, I thoroughly enjoy every episode I watch. The car reviews, the Cheap Car Challenges, the races, the garage projects; all of it. It's either utterly hilarious, or it puts a smile on my face because it reminds me about how much I love cars, and how much I love motoring.

This episode was no different. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Any day that I get to watch a new episode of Top Gear is a great day.

I loved it, to be honest. 10/10...although I didn't even bother watching the SIARPC tonight, and probably won't bother again unless I know who the person is. I really would like to see the SIARPC replaced with some other sort of consistent feature, it really feels as though they've gone through their list of even remotely interesting people and now it's rather boring. I thought the Alfa challenge was, as others have stated, epic. It certainly ranks up there with the other cheap car challenges, and is IMO one of the best yet. The Bentley review was also very well done, although I agree that some of the flashy camera work was unnecessary.
Great job to the Top Gear team...

I liked pretty much the whole episode, only weak bits for me were parts of the opening review and the stars in a reasonably priced car. Quite ironically I bought a tiny diecast of an Alfa Spider earlier tonight before I saw the episode.

lauged my a$$ off! anybody know if that poll for the sexiest female driver was real?

that bentley was quite a handsome car

I loved the episode: 9/10 - I don't get the SIARPC bit... mostly cause I have no farking clue who most of the guests are...

Although I appreciate everyone's opinion to how they felt the show went, I think people are too set on comparing them to past episodes and lose focus on what this show is, and always has been. I'd like to explain why I disagree with many of the comments made in this thread. Please note I'm not saying you're wrong, but just why I don't agree.

I feel a connection to each episode because I look at the cars they feature, and the childish behavior, and the crude jokes, etc. and compare it to how I am with my friends (mates). I consider myself a full-fledged petrolhead, as are many of my best friends, and our behavior isn't so different. We're always playing jokes on each other, or knocking the faults of each others car, or just staring at a beautiful car for hours, wondering what its like to drive... That's part of the show: They're doing what most of us wish we could. Hell, the 24 hour event they did last series, along with the cheap car challenges, have gotten my car club at college entered into the 24 Hours of LeMons event in Connecticut! If we could only do such things more often.

Many of the members here also do not like the "artsy" filming. It can be distracting, if done without taste, but I truly feel that the film work in this show is second to none. The filters on the F430 Scuderia two weeks ago, or the CLK Black last week, and now the Bentley, are all examples of how film can capture the essence of a car. If you want numbers and concise reporting on a car, watch 5th Gear (bunch of pyros...) or pick up a magazine, but I watch Top Gear because I think cars are beautiful, rolling pieces of art, which should be captured in an "artsy" form. For me, Top Gear captures that joy of driving, and having fun in a car. As Jeremy put it last week during the CLK Black segment: "...Sit back and indulge yourself in what this show's all about: The absolute joy of driving a great car, on a great road."

I'm sure I have more, but its late here and I have work in the morning. Cheers Top Gear, you still are the best program on television. (or in my case, the internet)

This is the first Top Gear episode in series 11 I loved. I love the Brooklands. Alfa Challenge was so good. SIARPC sucked, as always. If they would have more guests like Trevor Eve, Roger Daltrey, Ewan Mcgregor, I would be a lot more interested.

bentley

bentley

THIS is a fucking Bentley. Not that other abomination.

Mulliner Limo

001.jpg

002.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

Overall a 9/10

Very entertaining. The news segment and cheap Alfa challenge were great. Love the bit where they all lined up to prevent the other cars from overtaking. Could feel James' irritation thru the telly :lol:. SIARPC: should return to 1 guest a show. Can't be bothered much about it anyway.

Great Episode. I love the Bentley review with the camera work and powersliding in black and white, it was visually great. The news was quite good, although I don't seem to get why there were so many hot girls around there. The Alfa challenge looked a bit boring at first, but I seem to understand why they would do that, because that's what petrolheads do. (Yeah i'm very thick at times) lol @ the 75 on its side and the barricade on the track. My god, how 911s were there?
The SIARPCs were good, even though I don't know them that well. The second half of the Alfa challenge was great. The sound from Clarkson's car was quite strange but funny too. lol @ James smelling the cheese "fondue?" And I feel sorry for him too because he put so much effort in his polisher and then the other two ruined his engine with cheese (I lol at that part though). I can see why Richard's was marked lower than Jeremy's because his car was more wrecked than his.
Overall, great consistent episode. Loved the Cheap Car Challenges, loved this one and will always love them.
8/10 for me.

I'm not sure if it's ever been mentioned why they've been doing two guests a week, but I may have figured it out:

The lap board is looking fairly full. Perhaps they're doing two a week because in the sixth and final episode they're revealing a new Reasonably Priced car? But then again, why bother to fill up the lap board? That'd have no purpose.

Oh, nearly forgot, Clarkson jiving Hammond about his tire blowing...cutting the line closely there :D

Solid 9. The stars were meh..., but the news seemed much more spontaneous compared to the other two shows in the series. Cheap Alfa Challenge was a thing of brilliance and a source of many laughs, and also the Brooklands review was a really well put-together one and shows the nature of these "cars of two halves", as May once said about super-powerful limousines.

And before anything... OI! JEZZA! You said you weren't going to mention the crash again, you blithering idiot!!!! :lol: Nice dig after the blown tire.