[11x03] July 6th, 2008

[11x03] July 6th, 2008

• Total voters
I loved the Alfa segment

But whats with 2 guests per show, Ok one time, two time, But all the time? it seems to me like they are going after quantity of guests rather than the Quality of interviews.

I loved the Alfa segment

But whats with 2 guests per show, Ok one time, two time, But all the time? it seems to me like they are going after quantity of guests rather than the Quality of interviews.

I think it was something they thought would make it better that hasn't worked. Or at least I hope this is not the results they were going for.

I stand corrected..

On the Dancia/Dacia.. I might add Danica to that too, seeing as she was one of the very fine racing drviers Jeremy showed...(borat) Very niice. Sexy tiime.

Oh, and thnking about it - for me to make my first post in here, but being registered for almost 2 years - The episode must have struck a nerve lol...

Also, that nerve meant i went to bed thinking about the episode, and even dreaming about.. Going trough my head what was good about it, and why it disapointed me... Still couldnt put my finger on it, but i must say the funny bits i recall have brought it almost to 8 in my eyes.. Might watch it again now.

Last edited:
The turning up late to something,

Yeah, forgot to add that to my OP. Late to safety meeting... we havent seen that one before... (road works ep).

Im surprised there wasnt a bit being stupid with protective clothing.. Probably would have been if they wore some...

and for the people saying we are being critical or negative for the sake of it. It more along the lines that we've come to expect much more from TG, Awesome reveiws (AMG Black was great, Veyron was stunning).
Challenges that rarely have a point, but have Innovation, Uniqueness etc (Police cars).

and thats just a few things...

But like i said above, the good parts have me thinking its an 8.. but Going to watch it again now..

I gotta wonder... how much did Renault paid Top Gear to get them to mention about the Dacia every single week~? :D

I enjoyed the episode while I watched, but it was forgettable. And I mean that too. 30 minutes after I was done watching it, I noticed the TopGear video file on my desktop and wondered to myself why I haven't watched it yet. It wasn't until I clicked on the icon that I remembered.

But as I've thought about it, it was a very dull episode. We've seen the Bentley before. And the Alfa Challenge bothered me in that the boys never try and be serious anymore. They always screwed around and had fun, but they were always competitive against each other too, really trying to win. But this Alfa Challenge was like a demolition derby while they all laughed. Well, except James who took it way too seriously while Jezza and Hammond sabotaged his car every 60 seconds, as usual.

They should just cut the crap and make it a demolition derby next time, as that's what it's all about anyway. The funniest part was the cheesy ass ending where they tried to make it sound like such a wonderful experience among friends and good times living life, yada yada yada. It wasn't that great a segment.

Last edited:
Yes it is, and there's also the Peel P50 in there aswell.
Well, it's pretty easy to miss the P50, it's just so tiny. I saw Oliver when watching, but not the P50.

I give this episode an 8 overall.

The Bentley bit was the usual super duper camera work while Clarkson yammers on about POWAAAAR, Busting some tread off of the tire was different, and the riff on Richard about how he can hold a blowout was a little below the belt (I thought they weren't going to bug him about that, but I guess they can't stop).

The news is always my favorite part. It seemed a lot shorter this week though. I can't wait to hear what's next for the Dacia whatever!

SIARPC I actually watched this time, but only because I recognized Rob from watching MirrorMask the day before. It was... meh. The biggest problem with two stars is waiting through two laps, and then two tension bits where Clarkson takes his time saying "And your time was... 1 minute... fifty... one... point 6" or whatever.

Alfa section was hit and miss. I think the idea behind a track day was good, but they were up against amazing competition and had absolutely no chance out there. The part where they went to other pits and lied about crazy problems was funny. When they were detailing the cars, James's special detailing toolkit was hilarious, he was in his own little happy place. But then they got on the road and kept ramming into his car, and I'm not surprised he left Hammond behind. Scripted or not, James genuinely looked pissed off about it all.

Well, watched it again.. the 7 still stands...
Nothing more to add in..

Feels like when your expecting a beautiful taste bud tingling Chicken type meal at a resturant, Only for the Chicken to poached and taste less, the sides limp and un inviting and the sauce bland and runny... One word sums it up, Disapointed... but then u think, maybe i was too critcal.. ill try it again.. only to have the same result...

Another 7/10 , they need to get rid of two SIARPCs, one is fine, and they need to go back to the working format of 1 review, i special, 1 siarpc, another review and something small somewhere in the middle.

9/10 from me.

Wonderful wonderful visuals with the Bentley video, and nice tyre shredding action (like ever Bentley they review). IIRC this is the first to really eat its tyres.

The Alfa bit was classic TG. As always, James has been sensible and bought the right car, pretty, relatively powerful and sort of reliable (except for starting it :p).
Hammond was being a right tit with slamming the doors against May's poor little Alfa, and crashing into him, so James was right in leaving him behind.

They were going to a show where they would be given points on how original their car was, so destroying the bumpers again and again is a bit lame. I did lol @ Richard doing his own waterpump and the handle breaking off.

And yeah, Clarkson probably didn't roll his Alfa but I don't care.

SIARPC was not as boring as always, but i don't really care about that segment anyway

The cheap Alfa challenge was pretty good, but a bit long in parts. It could've done with being shortened and then throwing something else in there to fill the time. I felt sorry for James because he was the only one who did it properly, only to have that annoying little man repeatedly crash into him. It was funny the first few thousand times, but they should think of something else. Only other gripe is SIARPC. They took a formula that had outlived its useby date and made it worse. Unless the star is Jimmy Carr, leave it out.

6/10.

Last edited:
I see it more as get in there and work on your cars for the show and we will film it. James is seen cleaning his. Hammond is seen doing cosmetic stuff on his. Clarkson fucks his up. I KNEW that was what was going to happen. It was just a matter of HOW he was going to do it this time.

This is a perfect description. I loved the Alfa segment. I don't care if it was scripted, it didn't feel scripted watching it and the only thing that seemed like it to me was Jeremy's roll in his car. I adored this segment immensly.

9/10 overall, but the Dacia Sandero news bit deserves 10/10 alone.

As usual skipped the SIARPC.

The Bentley -- a dignified way of powersliding -- reminded me of that old review when JC came up with a trailer for the car: ,,In a Bentley, no one will hear you scream'' ;-)

Damn good episode.

Bentley was awesome, superb car, superb cinematography, absolutely insane driving.

News was piss-funny, especially when Clarkson was having a go at the Spanish.

Alfas was great, but it could have been better. I realise that's an odd thing to say - I pissed myself with laughter though most of it, but it did lack the kind of unadulterated epicness of say the Africa ep. Little things could have made it better, like taking it to a classics track day rather than just be humiliated by ?100K+ Porsches and other exotica. Too much time was spent there too - there was room for another challenge or two. And the whole bang into James' car thing did get a little old.

Only real downers were:

Star in a reasonably priced car - I managed to watch it through but it was still crap. Please just pick one star, and make sure they're either exceptionally funny and interesting (like Ronnie Wood) or have a exceptional car history.

No Stig. That must be a first. I reckon the Bentley should have been taken around the track, but if not, with SIARPC shortened and the Alfa thing "tightened" somewhat there would have been space for another car review methinks.

Episode was Truely Hilarious, my fav so far of this series I'd say. 10/10 for me.

This season lacks versatility.

I'd like to see some affordable cars being tested. Hot hatchback group test, family saloon test, new Passat CC test and more on that line. If it's JUST supercars and especially when they are always on track it gets bit boring.

I understand how much easier it must be to shoot quality material on closed track environment where you can have all the elements as you like but it gets monotonic.

And about this episode in particular:
- Brooklands episode had extremely nice filming, especially the first half of it. The interior shots and pans of the car, at 3:28 there is beatifully shooted segment filming the front and Bentley logo. I loved this review to the bits - right until Clarkson "found" the sport button.

- The second half of the Alfa segment was spot on, minus the Hammonds collisions with James but other than that it was a very good and entertaining segment.

And one thought that always comes to my mind: Why, when Clarkson/Hammond/May say "listen to that sound" and they demonstrate which kind of sound the car makes you can NEVER hear the sound clearly? Only very short bit, overlayed by background music and different ambient sounds. Why cannot they record and play the sound clearly? This has bugged me for years!

Reactions: TC
First of all: Yes, I know TG is scripted, yada-yada-yada...

Alfa challenge was the weakest cheap-car-challenge yet IMO. Especially Clarkson is trying to hard to live up to beeing "ambitious but rubbish." In the previous challenges, they at least seemed to be attempting to win instead of just trying as hard as they can to be shit at everything, like with Clarksons paint job and the calenders. And the fake roll was just... well, fake.

Bentley bit was allright, but why not let James review a car once in a while? He's perfect for doing the luxury car reviews. We see Clarkson powersliding all the performance cars anyway, so why not let May do a proper review of what luxury cars are all about? Thats what he does best.

Reactions: TC
just saw the "torques" thread ( closed now)

does the Brooklands actually have 530hp and near 1000 lb ft of torque?

I wanted one before...