[11x03] May 14th, 2007

^ Your sig is too tall, check the rules.

Well, to no surprise, I liked toms bit and tiffs bit was nice, too... The rest, well I skipped over it rather quickly...

I liked the LS460 review, new Smart review and the short M5 clip with Jason Plato.
All the other stuff were cheap ripoffs or good ideas that were poorly executed.

And the tuned Smart was a good laugh, what idiot spends 10k on a Smart and pays another 20k to make it look even more ridiculous. I'd buy a proper car for 30k :)
You can easily buy an E39 M5 for that money, one of the best looking beemers ever and far better then the Bangle turds we see on the road today.

I pretty much agree with what's been said above and I'd like to conclude the producers should be shot. Other than that, I really didn't like the way Tom Ford was making fun of himself about being ugly - and the way it was used several times and none of them were amusing or cool.

Then again Fifth Gear have never had an idea of what's cool, have they? :lol:

OK it's starting to suck donkey balls again, not enough detail, too much trying to be funny, far to much cafe stuff. I don't mind Vicky, but that squealing fucked me off too. I'll give it a 3.5

Please fifth gear, you have the making's of a great show, stop sucking!!

I think this episode was just too try-hard. They tried to be funny but FAILED once again. And what pissed me off most of all were those TG ripoffs, the Lexus and Smart tests.
I thought it would be impossible to go backwards now that mr. Lovejoy wasn't present but I was wrong..

I did like the Bentley part with the girls though. :lol: (ohh damn that was sort of a TG ripoff too..)

What every you say about cafe, its a hell of alot better than the Wernham Hogg office they used before.

What ep was the Top Gear one with the For Four?

O and the smarts were stupid. Most of them were rice crap.

I actually liked that episode.

Sure there might've been some repeated material but overall I thought it was ok.

Tiff's section was a nice watch too :p The girls posing about at 40:06 was pretty hot :D lol

This was the first ep of FG that I've seen. Seems like I could have chosen a better ep to start with...

Personal opinion, didn't love it, didn't hate it.

The biggest problem here that Fifth Gear has is that they're trying too hard. Series 9 Fifth Gear was sooooo good when they just stuck to some damn awesome car reviews and comparisons with the best drivers.

With the Lexus LS460 review, I felt the review was too short and they should have cut out the part with Tom stuffing around in the old LS400 and told us more about the new car! Tom's review of the Lexus (despite being short) was great though.

Must say I really loved Russ Swift's segment, he's ALWAYS awesome as!!! Tiff and Russ should race around a really tight go kart circuit:D

Tiff's segment was ridiculously short.

Plato's segment was ridiculously short.

Vicki's segment was ridiculously long.

Johnny's Smart segment was also TOO LONG!

5th Gear seems to be giving us way too much of the stuff we don't want and way too little of the stuff we want to see. At least it's easy for them to fix :)

Thats true. I think it would have been better if they took out Vicky's segment. Maybe the stunt segment as well, but the rest was okay. The first episode was much better though. Driven to Destruction = boring...

Yea, FG should leave the destruction to the experts (ie.TG) and stick with traditional car reviews. What happened to the shootouts? Even though Vicky isn't the best driver there, it's still cool to see how a car perform on a track and commpare track time to other cars. They need to bring that back.

much better

much better

well this new series is much better than the last one. During the last one I was feeling embarassed for them while watching how they desperately tried to be funny and entertaining.
The modles were hot, but the piece was sooo short.:|
the vbh paris things was pretty interesting, because, anyone of us could make such a cool video, if there was only less traffic. I quite liked the idea, I want to try it here in Prague :mrgreen:
Smart was great, I like that fact this car was actually reviewed, because people need to understand the concept of the smart and then they can really appreciate it. It would be such a hit if it was cheaper!!

Yea, FG should leave the destruction to the experts (ie.TG) and stick with traditional car reviews. What happened to the shootouts? Even though Vicky isn't the best driver there, it's still cool to see how a car perform on a track and commpare track time to other cars. They need to bring that back.

The shootouts are coming back are are gonna make a comeback in 11x05 although they are at cadwell park instead of anglesey.

What I really dislike about some Fifth Gear car reviews is the lack of a final ultimate conclusion. When the Lexus clip ended I was like... what? Where's the proper end? What's the verdict!? Should I buy it or not? Is it finally better than the German competitors?

You know, I almost liked the old Top Gear way of concluding reviews instead of this. I'm talking about the shows of the nineties when they listed the pros, cons and whether it should earn your dollars/pounds or not. Sure, a list of written stuff is terribly boring on television, but at least it meant something and it was informative.

The only thing I learned from the Lexus review is that it has gadgets. I could have gotten that information from a brochure if I wanted to.

Edit: However, I have to point out that Plato's reviews almost always have a very solid conclusion. The Chrysler 300 was OK if you wanted to look different on the streets, providing you can get past the nasty interior, the Honda Legend's gizmos are nice but are no match for a 5 series, etc. Those are the kind of verdicts I like to hear.

Last edited:
I thought the episode was ok.
The Lexus review was awesome, and some of the gadgets that were put in the old Lexus were great.. like the Bluetooth kit.. great. (Bit of a Batman thing, start you car up from your communicator).

The Smart review was ok, as Ive never really taken notice of what they are all about.
And Johnny is actually becomming a really good presenter, as he has a bit more of a everyday mans thinking.

Tom seems to be carrying on like he has something to prove, now that he is sitting in the Cafe with VBH. Just wish he would lay off the entree serve of wanker, and stick to a full cup of good reviewer.

Tiff's segment was a bit boring.. anyone could be given the keys to a car and just drive the thing in a straight line as fast as possible.. not one of his best segments.

VBH,... the only good thing about that was the fact I got the title for the original clip
C?etait un Rendezvous, and went into Mininova and d/loaded it.. hehe http://www.mininova.org/tor/161752
I think she killed it.

Unfortunately Plato had no segment this week... :(

Overall not too bad...

I watched it today and its wasnt bad. I like the new fella, John. Yes, his segment was a bit long but that was kind of the point. Hes quite a good presenter tho.
Lexus review did not do it for me. I would have prefered if he did a comparison to S class and bmw 7 and a more detailed overview not sc*ew around with that old Lexus. Pointless.
Tiff was good. I enjoyed it. It was obvious that he did not have anything new to say about the car because there really isnt anything new about it besides the fact that they chopped the roof off. Tho, I suppose he couldve said a thing or two more about the car because most of us dont remember everything about the continental.

Wheres Plato :( ?

Man it's really annoying to see them copy TG in almost every segment today. Ford is still funny as usual tho!