[11x04] July 13th, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the kind of episode you look at and think "this IS motoring heaven".

The race, the 8C, and for once in a long time I'm actually interested in the SIARPC segment.

And indeed, I hope Richard and James win for a change. I mean, I know some parts of the show are scripted but seeing JC win yet again is going to tip the scale for me. It's going to end up like it always does after their little challenges and I'll inevitably start relating the fact Jezza has a lot of influence on the show to the episode, at which point the idea of Top Gear really is following a skillfully preconstructed bunch of events ruins whatever enjoyment I had.

Scripted or not I love Top Gear, but half of the amusement (speaking for myself) comes from knowing in the back of my mind it's all thrown into the hands of god and everything was as (or at least almost as) spotaneous as it seemed on the telly.

A theory for you...

Every car so far that's been used in a Big Race? has won Jeremy over by the end and lo and behold it wins the race. By contrast he doesn't seem a fan of the GT-R so I suspect that were it actually to be scripted they'd take make the care lose.

Last edited:
i really hope he loses to the bullet train.

he wont.

but here's hoping...

and i'm looking forward to the 8c segment

ooh... can't wait for it. But was I the only one that thought it would be like a Japan special, kinda like Africa and America?

I hope there is more cocking about than there was in episode 2. Episode 2 was very plain, I hope that there are not anymore like this.

And FINALLY I can't wait to hear what the guys will say about the 8C.

I don't even need to see it, they will love it. They have a bias that shines through a lot, alfas are one of them. They can look at an ugly bland interior that looks like it's from the early 90's and somehow convince themselves it looks good.

It will be nice to see if it can match "similar" cars when it's in the hands of Sir Stig. Alfa better hope it runs faster than 1:21.9

ooh... can't wait for it. But was I the only one that thought it would be like a Japan special, kinda like Africa and America?

I thought it would be a Japan special as well. Instead, for once, I want the challenge to make up the majority of the episode.

Forget Fiona Bruce, Kate Silverton is the one you lads need to look out for. I must admit to feeling a bit :wub: about Kate.

She doesn't immediately do it for me, but then I seem to recall you aren't a fan of Fiona Bruce so that's fine.

That said if the only two women left in the world were Kate and 11x02 Yawner............I'd be picking "current affairs" over "too many currant buns".

I have looked up Fiona Bruce and Kate Silverton on wikipedia and they don't do it for me. I think they are a bit mature for me.

I would like to see someone like Kate Nash or even Lily Allen. They have had Keith Allen, Lily's father.

A theory for you...

Every car so far that's been used in a Big Race? has won Jeremy over by the end and lo and behold it wins the race. By contrast he doesn't seem a fan of the GT-R so I suspect that were it actually to be scripted they'd take make the care lose.

From his review of the GT-R published in the Times:

Verdict Unfathomably good

I, for one, have always loved the races. I don't really care for the outcome, but I wouldn't be surprised if James and Richard won this one. Also, how are they going to fit everything shown in the series preview into the series?

this episode will be epic!

Yes! One of the segments I've be waiting for! I'm ambivalent of who wins the race, but to see them do this race in Japan should be a real nice mix up; dealing with language and cultural issues. SIARPC seems like it might be interesting, and the Alfa review will undoubtedly be glowing.

I can't wait, although I don't know why they didn't put the review with the last episode. It could've been an Alfa theme episode.

Have you seen this at http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/nextepisode.shtml

We're heading off to Japan, the land of unnecessarily complicated toilets, tiny trees and the world's most hotly anticipated new supercar - the Nissan GT-R. It's time for the latest of our patented epic races.

Jeremy will be getting behind the wheel of the Porsche-baiting Nissan, while Richard and James are to make good use of Japan's legendarily punctual public transport system.

Also, Clarkson hammers the impossibly pretty Alfa Romeo 8C around our test track, to see if its beauty is more than just skin-deep.

And, Fiona Bruce and Kate Silverton are our next pair of stars in a reasonably priced car.

Sunday 13 July, 8pm BBC Two
episodearchive_110401.jpg

episodearchive_110402.jpg

episodearchive_110403.jpg

homepage_gtr.jpg

This episode sounds like its gonna be awesome. The first two episodes were good but there was something missing. I still waiting to watch the 3rd episode (still downloading, I'm in Australia so we dont get the new episodes for months on TV so...). For the stars in a reasonably priced car, im still hoping for either episode 5 or 6 that they get two Def Leppard members on because Richard said they were gonna make an appearance next series (he said it when they were on break). They're huge english celebs so why wouldn't you put them on, they'd possibly be the biggest stars that have ever been on the show!!!!! They are on tour now but in Europe so its possible. Im hoping. 2 more episodes means 2 more chances. Either that or they'll be on next series. Series 12 looks to have 10 episodes as this is the pattern they seem to be following now. 6 eps, 10 eps, 6 eps....10 eps??

the GT-R ... pure performance, can't wait to see how it manages to the bullet train

Status
Not open for further replies.