[11x04] July 13th, 2008

[11x04] July 13th, 2008

• Total voters
Actually I rather liked the episode.

I suspect that one of the reasons why the race hasn't really excited that many people was the relative lack of "stranger in a strange land" segments -- there wasn't all that much of any of the three getting tangled up in Japanese culture, which most of us probably would be expecting, such as what happened in the American road trip.

I *am* looking forward to a more straightforward review of the GT-R, complete with Stig lap. We know that JC did like the car in his Times review, and he probably wants to expand more on this "where's the soul?" theme.

I suspect that one of the reasons why the race hasn't really excited that many people was the relative lack of "stranger in a strange land" segments -- there wasn't all that much of any of the three getting tangled up in Japanese culture, which most of us probably would be expecting, such as what happened in the American road trip.

Makes a lot of sense :) For them to travel all that way, it could have been...better. I don't think we can compare it to the American road trip (as that's just brilliant) but I know what you mean. Would also have liked to have seen 'more'.

True, and I wasn't really surprised when I saw the queue lines on the platform where James and Richard took their first train. It's a brilliant idea that would't work in any other country (not even Germany :D)
Japan really is a fascinating place.

Hammond's silly expression when he was talking with JC on the first train in loudspeaking mode after the samurai haired guy complaints was epic. You can also notice there the latest flowery fashion in shirts as presented by James May :lol:

EDIT: I'm currently watching it again and trying to understand a bit more (since I'm not an english speaker). What was it that tv presenter (Fiona was her name) said at the end of the interview? It caused a funny expression on JC's face but even after watching for the 21st time I can't make it out.

She said. I think you should stick it up there, definately.(wink) in a manner of speaking.

True, and I wasn't really surprised when I saw the queue lines on the platform where James and Richard took their first train. It's a brilliant idea that would't work in any other country (not even Germany :D)
Japan really is a fascinating place.

Hammond's silly expression when he was talking with JC on the first train in loudspeaking mode after the samurai haired guy complaints was epic. You can also notice there the latest flowery fashion in shirts as presented by James May :lol:

EDIT: I'm currently watching it again and trying to understand a bit more (since I'm not an english speaker). What was it that tv presenter (Fiona was her name) said at the end of the interview? It caused a funny expression on JC's face but even after watching for the 21st time I can't make it out.

Makes a lot of sense :) For them to travel all that way, it could have been...better. I don't think we can compare it to the American road trip (as that's just brilliant) but I know what you mean. Would also have liked to have seen 'more'.

I think we are going to see another "segment" with them still in Japan. Remember on the preview where James is driving 2 japaneese people around?

Mr Clarkson made a comment that Ferrari hasn't made a good looking Ferrari since the 355, and I have to agree with him. What do you guys think?

Mr Clarkson made a comment that Ferrari hasn't made a good looking Ferrari since the 355, and I have to agree with him. What do you guys think?

I haven't cared much for any of the old-recent ones (360, 430, 612, 575) but I really do like the California and the 599. I got up close to a 599 Fiorano a couple months ago at the track and the details in it are stunning. Very nice in that graphite-greenish color. Actually the California and the 599 are very similar in styling so no wonder I like them both.

But I have weird taste in cars so don't count me.

Last edited:
Rewatched it, and it seems that the great moments during the race made me forget moments that were very funny, Richard and May trying to find the train station when Richard dowes the steam train noises and motions!! lol and Jezza when he screamed for help when the sat nav spoke!! Very funny stuff!!!

Definately a great epsiode.. 9/10 overall.. but 10/10 for this season!

Last edited:
Loved it, SIARPC was actualy fun, sure, girls makes a difference but I can name a stack of guys who were good interviewee's too, gambon and those rockers 'r all good fun.
Race was nice, the car is unreal, can't wait for the test, it is what you get, playstation driving, if it's nerdy and can beat Porsches around nurnburgh I'm all ears :)
Bit funny how the continuity was a bit off when JC announces he's in Tokyo from one frame to the next though :-\
And how's he understanding the GPS? Arrows and maps I guess?

keep them like this and you'll never lose a viewer (bar the "I only want tests cause I'm so boring" crowd)

Loved that episode! GT-R and 8c in one episode= greatness!

That race was epic, I was on the edge of my seat for the whole segment.

...I suspect that one of the reasons why the race hasn't really excited that many people was the relative lack of "stranger in a strange land" segments -- there wasn't all that much of any of the three getting tangled up in Japanese culture, which most of us probably would be expecting, such as what happened in the American road trip...

I'm with You on that.. still there would be people complaining that Jeremy did not concentrated on testing the car, because time wouldn't allow to include both. Either they should broadcast more episodes every season, or make a side show, a mix of Top Gear and Jeremy's Motorworld.

Oh, and think that Top Gear Stuntman had chance to work, if he had to jump in Lamborghini in a huge ball of fire, above Thames river.

Last edited:
They said they would have a full track test of the GTR later on (next season maybe?). So I'm ok with Clarkson not saying too much about the car.

I loved this episode so much that I voted it 10/10!
This time round I didn't mind the black and white shots of the Alfa 8c, did make the car look more impressive. I do love the look of this car, but too bad it only has looks though. :(

I thought the race was brilliant! It had me in suspense and I really thought that James and Richard had it in the bag this time. I understand how James and Richard felt when trying to buy tickets from the train station, it is one of the most daunting thing I have ever experience! But bloody hell their train system is super efficient!

The shot of Jeremy passing the mountain in the GTR was in my mind the one of the most beautiful thing I have ever seen but the Bill Oddie mask bit was the funniest! Can't wait for next weeks episode of Jeremy really testing the car on the track.

I agree with everyone that said that James should have a bigger part in Top Gear

I haven't cared much for any of the old-recent ones (360, 430, 612, 575) but I really do like the California and the 599. I got up close to a 599 Fiorano a couple months ago at the track and the details in it are stunning. Very nice in that graphite-greenish color. Actually the California and the 599 are very similar in styling so no wonder I like them both.

But I have weird taste in cars so don't count me.

I suppose the California is alright. I like the top on the SuperAmerica but I don't like the styling on the car.

For me the 355 is what a Ferrari is. Maybe that's just when I became "car aware", or whatever, but I've not really liked anything from Ferrari since then.

The weighting for this episode is extremely top heavy, I almost feel guilty for giving it an 8 out of 10. Loved the race, enjoyed the 8C video, all it needed was something else...dare I say it, a Top Gear Stunt man segment? More James! Please! My favourite reviews are when they actually go out and road test cars, not just hurl them around the track. And James is excellent for this. I know insurance and all that probably has a huge influence on what they're allowed to do with the cars though.

Also even watched SIARPC for the first time in ages and while it was mildly entertaining, I still stand against the two person format. Actually, unless it's Jimmy Carr or Michael Gambon, then I'm against the segment all together.

Great episode though!

I have to disagree with Jeremy when it comes to Ferrari styling. While they have moved towards more obtuse and loud styling, every so often they crack one out right. In person the 599 is just beautiful from every angle, and it's fairly conservative for a modern Ferrari. I spent a good while just walking around one admiring it like a little kid, and it takes a lot to get me to react like that.

I think the 355 is not a really pretty car ... pretty, but not pretty enough.

Last really pretty Ferrari IMO was the 456 ... and before that, you?d again have to go back to the 60ies to find another really pretty one (365) ...

Last edited:
Something I can't figure out: when Jeremy accidentally turned off his GPS, it is a split screen with a black map taking up the left 2/3, and a white map taking up the right 1/3 of the screen real estate. He pushed some button and it turned off. When he got it going again when Hammond got on his train, the screen that came up looked basically the same: black map on the left and white map on the right. So what exactly happened with his screen when he said the phonecall covered up the map?

Best Top Gear of the season hands down!

Alfa review was excellent, didn't sound phoned in like some of Jeremy's other reviews this season. The news was average, but, the race was top notch. More please Andy!