[11x05] July 20th, 2008

[11x05] July 20th, 2008

• Total voters
This was probably my favourite eppisode from this series so far.

Very nice GT-R review, even more so because it was on a proper race track and not the TG test track. My favourite part of the show however was the classic luxury cars. That Mercedes is unbelievably classy, I just love it. That horn matched the car perfectly, even if they got it from a ship. The Terios hunting section wasn't bad either, I just had to laugh at Richard, who looked as though he should have performed in a piano recital in that jacket :lol:

Most of the previous shows in this series only had two sections (excluding the news and SIARPC) due to the main feature taking up so much time. What I liked about this show was that there tree sections.

9/10

is it me, or it seemed like the Stig had a bad launch of the GT-R? He probably could've shaved off .2 of a second or more! heh... The reason why is when jeremy launched it, it had a little tire squeal. When the stig launched it (for the power lap time) it just took off as if he was taking it to church. But other than that, he pushed that thing hard! can't wait for the GT-R V-Spec!

is it me, or it seemed like the Stig had a bad launch of the GT-R? He probably could've shaved off .2 of a second or more! heh... The reason why is when jeremy launched it, it had a little tire squeal. When the stig launched it (for the power lap time) it just took off as if he was taking it to church. But other than that, he pushed that thing hard! can't wait for the GT-R V-Spec!

My thoughts exactly! He just went off at 2000rpms.....:(

Starting with spinning wheels isn't the fastest way to start. Remember the 599 test where he switched into the secret launch-control-mode that doesn't spin the tyres so much to save the clutch? I am sure he knew what he was doing.

Really good solid episode. I skipped the star in car, thinking it was going to be rubbish the way people were talking about the couple, so i shall rewatch that. I loved that old merc, that is a really cool car, i can easily see why JC bought it.

GTR was incredibly quick, but i thought it looked a bit sluggish off the line, maybe they just used a different shot of the start, compared to the actual time. Very nice to see.

I thought the whole Peugout thing was an interesting car, still woudlnt buy one though. 8/10

Anyone notice the absence of TG Stunt Man in the past few shows? I think that the TG office also thought it was crap!

Great episode btw - one of the best. Plently of cars/banter/cocking about in a perfect balance.

Glad I read that before I posted - you mean the Terios made that sound? Would never have thought.

Solid ep - great to see the GT-R do it's thing and James & Jezza's classics were a good laugh :)heart: :heart: the Grosser). The Terios-hunt had plenty of great moments too. All in all, solid 8/10.

Oh, and:

Andy Wilman said:
Secondly, if Final Gear boys are still tuned in, one of you wrote a couple of weeks ago that James hadn't been in the series much, and that we therefore must be grooming the viewers for him leaving. Pleeeeeese. Go and put that fertile conspiracy theory brain of yours to better use. Find out if Kennedy was shot in Dallas, or during a faked moon landing.

Thank you Andy, thank you. Too often the internet and common sense seem miles apart...

Good to see Wilman setting things straight. We needed that clearing up.

Solid episode, not one of my favourite though. I will give a 7 just for the Nissan. Other stuff is barely on 5.5.

- Gtr lap time was impressive, I can't explain how they made such a car...I'm confused. So cheap, so handly, so fast....

- Where's the cool wall? We only had once in the series!

- SIARPC skipped as always.

- Merc and rolls was ok but nothing special.

- Fox hunting was fun at least, I would have preferred more information on the car itself

Last edited:
From Wilmans newest blog http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/135-show-six-wilman/
Before I get on to the coming week's show, though, I just want to clear up a bit of housekeeping. Firstly, if the boys on Final Gear are reading this - WE DID NOT DUB A BLOODY V8 ON THE DAIHATSU TERIOS. Promise, chaps.

I asked the director the same question about the engine when I saw the first cut of the film and he said you can hear the V8 camera car in the background, but the Terios still makes its own rorty little sound.

So it was the V8 camera car...

Anyway I liked the episode.

Fox hunt was obviously scripted. And badly edited with the "bate" disappearing and wing mirrors folded out and in in different shots... And the ending scene was scripted, but that wasn't the point. I have to admit it was still a funny segment.

The classic cars was excellent. Altough it would have been nice to have Hammond in a Ford Mondeo(which is same price) for comparison, and added fun. And did you notice that in this segment Jezza had a Nokia N95 and in the fox segment he had a different phone<_<. Maybe they aren't their own mobiles...?
And what was with James's very odd looking reading glasses:lol:

The GT-R was okay.. Not much more to say about that...

Guests weren't as horrible as the hype made me feel but still a waste of airing time.

And news were medium funny.

So a 9/10 from me

BTW nice pic of JC in the Datsun
episodearchive_110506.jpg
from http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/episodes/series11episode5.shtml

Last edited:
Anyone else noticed the Diablo 2 soundeffects (casting Townportal, Assassin strike) excessive use in fox hunting segment?

They are from a commercial sound effect library, which was probably used by Diablo aswell. As an example, there is a popular sound used in many different TV shows when someone sits in an office chair which is easy to spot, it's also used in some computer games and comes from commercial sound effects librarys. I think every TV show maker in the world has at least some of those librarys.

Anyway, fantastic show and i love the joke with the brutal sound on the little Terios. :lol:

From Wilmans newest blog http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/135-show-six-wilman/

Before I get on to the coming week's show, though, I just want to clear up a bit of housekeeping. Firstly, if the boys on Final Gear are reading this - WE DID NOT DUB A BLOODY V8 ON THE DAIHATSU TERIOS. Promise, chaps.

I asked the director the same question about the engine when I saw the first cut of the film and he said you can hear the V8 camera car in the background, but the Terios still makes its own rorty little sound.

So it was the V8 camera car...

Interesting update to Andy's blog - an hour ago it said the Terios made the sound and that they'd managed to place a microphone somewhere special...

Interesting update to Andy's blog - an hour ago it said the Terios made the sound and that they'd managed to place a microphone somewhere special...

It also said (paraphrasing) "So there you go, want a car that sounds like a Ford GT...get a Terios" :p

Really enjoyed this episode. one of my favourite. Especially the luxury car segment. Wished that it was longer. :D

Good solid episode as always, and some great helicopter shots for the Fox Hunting bit. News was hilarious, particularly Jezza's comparison with Gordon Brown and Stalin. Reminded me of a Dead Ringers sketch, which unfortunately I couldn't find a video of.

I liked that episode, it was quite good. The GT-R bit was good, LOVED the sound it made when it passed the tire wall, it was orgasmic :cool:. The old-school car bit was fairly hilarious, esp. with James getting pushed about in London :) Also, the fox hunt bit was probably scripted, but it was a fun watch non-the-less. I have no idea about SIARPC because I never watch celeb crap, except for those random times in FG or something when they're teaching a celeb to slide or race, cause then the presenters normally get to have some fun in the cars, which is nice to watch.

9/10

Oh dear, OldSkoolGP, seems you have managed to stir up Mr. Wilman with that comment...

http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/135-show-six-wilman/

Loads more housekeeping from Andy, brilliant as always!

:lol: pwned

Loved this epsiode!

The GTR was fantastic, and the sound when it was at the follow-through was :jawdrop:

Guests this week were better, even though I don't know who they are it was still quite interesting. And omg how tall exactly is that Peter guy?! Imagine what Hammond would look like next to him...

The "fox" hunt segment was pretty good too. Loved the bit at the end where Jezza said something like "This is it, this is it! Bye kids, take care of your mom!" xD

News was pretty funny this week as well, personally to me i think it felt quite natural. When James said something about crashing cars and then pushing it away and blaming it on the speed cameras I laughed like a maniac.

Oh, and did they really intentionally cut off Hammond (or was it just my video) when he was introducing the segment where James and Jezza were driving their old cars, and right before it Hammond said something like "...stupid tw-" (I think he was going to say 'twats'). Wouldn't if have been better if they just bleeped it out? IMO cutting him off like that made it feel a bit weird; i had to rewatch that part because i thought my video skipped or something.

Last edited: