[11x05] July 20th, 2008

[11x05] July 20th, 2008

• Total voters
Gtr lap time was impressive, I can't explain how they made such a car...I'm confused. So cheap, so handly, so fast....

also i really want them to explain why the GT-R is so fast but i guess thats for nerds and aint cool.

1. 550+ hp engine.
2. All wheel drive.
3. Proper gearing selection.
4. Years of development on the transmission.
5. Long tradition of building monsters to stomp Toyota.
6. Porsche pissed off Nissan.

I've had the opportunity to drive both an R33 and an R34 Skyline GT-R, both gray market imports. Basically, the R35 is just the next generation Skyline.

The Skyline and now the GT-R are known as "Godzilla" for a reason. I don't think there's a faster four seater in the world, in terms of going around the Top Gear track.

The GTR is a triumph of engineering and I adore it. Neutral on the exterior styling and don't like the interior but its capabilities command respect. Faster than the F430 Scuderia, LP640, SLR and Carrera GT and a hair's breadth off the Enzo. Incredible!

The GT-R is like the Suzuki Hayabusa - everyone thought it was hideously ugly until we realized that the Hayabusa is what an affordable 212mph motorcycle looked like.

Same thing with the GT-R. Looks weird, until you realize that the GT-R is what an affordable, practical hypercar that does 193mph looks like.

...but in my country Daihatsu is not sold since 1993..

Daihatsu bailed out of the US market in 1992, as I recall. Mostly because whoever decided on the English names of the product was an idiot - the Daihatsu Charade ("playing at being a car") and the Daihatsu Rocky ("not worthy of the Rocky name" - think movie) - so none sold.

Another picture of the lady with huge... tracts of land.

http://img247.imageshack.**/img247/7475/topgearkk7.png

I busted out laughing when James and Jeremy were comparing the service bills and cracking up. One of them has got to lay off the cigarettes, the cackling was seriously scary :lol:

enjoyed most of this episode, but the fox-hunt felt sortof empty for me. Not because it wasn't filmed well, because it was, but because all the time I was sitting there thinking "fucking streaks of inbred aristo-piss, why didn't the english also behead them all in some revolution a long time back like they deserved to be" or something along those lines. But that's just me looking at things from afar, I never understood why there was such a controversy about banning the foxhunt. just ban aristocracy and be done with it.

Episode was alright at best. I found that the May, Clarkson thing could have been quite a bit longer, or rather more creative. It was good for some laughs but not really good. GT-R segment was almost pointless with the race in the last episode. And the fox thing was not memorable. Good effort guys but its only a 7/10.

"...but in my country Daihatsu is not sold since 1993.."
Daihatsu bailed out of the US market in 1992, as I recall. Mostly because whoever decided on the English names of the product was an idiot - the Daihatsu Charade ("playing at being a car") and the Daihatsu Rocky ("not worthy of the Rocky name" - think movie) - so none sold.
Reason why Daihatsu sales ended in my country (Finland) was that in beginning 90?s there was this big depression and car sales dropped and daihatsu been little known brand around here was one of the car brands who took the biggest hit and never recovered from it..

I think they did attempt a comeback later with the Sirion and the YRV (or was it YTV?), but bailed out again.

Enjoyed this episode very much - loved almost everything, although I did fast foward the stars in a car as I had no idea who they were, nor did they interest me. The luxury car segment was well done, lot's of fabulous banter between J and J and the fox hunt was very good, although I would have liked to have seen more of Richard riding. We know Mindy has horses but Hammond's not a very good rider (not like her) but I think he did very well, especially doing the jumps. I would have liked to have seen James on a horse, for entertainment value ;)

That has to be one old sound effects library... the screenwipe sound effect at 50m40s was used in (1994 vintage) Doom II, every time Icon Of Sin spits a cube out of its brain. I've heard sound effects from Hexen in earlier episodes.

I remember Doctor Who, two years ago, used the classic door-opening sound from Doom, the psss---chf.

I laughed quite a lot.

Which was a shame as it was one of the best episodes of Who yet.

Jaguar as not making a bad looking car.

I had to quote that, because both the current XK and the XF are absolutely hideous...

As for the episode, the best way I can describe it is being really good fun. The classic cars were the best part for me, and the GT-R on the track looked absolutely awesome. The time was expected, but I don't think I have seen any car on the TGTT that looked so precise...

Solid episode. That gt-r was impressive, however, the old car segment was duller than what i expected.

Another picture of the lady with huge... tracts of land.

Well, she's got a nice smile too:

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/07/21/TG-girl03_crop.jpg https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/07/21/TG-girl02_crop.jpg https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/07/21/TG-girl01_crop.jpg

This one is my favorite ;-)
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/07/21/TG-girl04_crop.jpg

About the show. I think the overall quality has gone down a lot in the recent past. Not just this episode, but the whole season as such. Even the last season wasn't as good as the ones in the past.
I mean its always the same. And they keep doing things where they make complete fools of themselves more and more often. That funny once per season maybe twice, but not every episode! For example they haven wrecked a caravan in ages. Would love to see one of those acts again. Or where they do crazy sports like the Espace-Cup-Racing.
Does anybody know if they are open to suggestions? I mean can you send them emails or so?

Still, I like it a lot. Especially as we don't really have anything on German television that comes even close to this format. The shows here are either too serious :zzz: or trying too hard to be cool by doing lots of tuning crap :sick: ...

Really good solid episode. I skipped the star in car, thinking it was going to be rubbish the way people were talking about the couple, so i shall rewatch that. I loved that old merc, that is a really cool car, i can easily see why JC bought it.

For what it's worth, Clarkson's wife bought the Merc for him as a Christmas present.

The only thing missing was a challenge featuring all three - the fox hunting thing could have benefited from the comedy value of having May as navigator or something.

At least they didn't forget James in the hunting segment. Look at the whisky bottle containing the fox pee. :lol:

https://pic.armedcats.net/m/ma/mayhem/2008/07/21/fox.jpg​

Great episode. I particularly liked the grand luxury cars segment, it really rung of "old Top Gear" to me. Same with introducing the concept cars before the news segment, oddly enough.

Two things though: James, that would be "Mao" rather than "Tung" - and didn't Jeremy's Grosser car present cost quite a bit more than 25,000 pounds? I might be remembering that wrong...

The noise of the GTR at the tyre wall. :O

Hope no one else mentioned this upthread, but did any of you notice that it sounded like a TIE fighter from Star Wars? That got the most "we're so thrilled" giggling out of my brothers and I... :lol:

Loved Clarkson and May arguing about their cars! (erm, as always...)

Definitely a favorite ep overall!

't Was good :)

My daughter has a 33 skyline so I'm obviously biased on the 35.. sort of shows you how the "system" makes people pay a lot for a Merc or Ferrari badge, gimme that "Datsun" any day over all the big pricey cars.
Hope some people will use it in races soon :)

Fox hunt, yeah, ok.. much prefered the big old cars though :) the horn was nicely done too.

keep it up TG.

Reactions: TJP
I like this episode. It wasn't the best episode ever, but it's still the best thing on TV all week.

I loved the Grosser and Rolls Royce challenge :)

Very good episode. I loved the GTR review (pity Clarkson wrecked his neck), the news was very long but still good, I loved the challenge between the Rolls and Merc, very funny (f*cking w*nker lol ), the SIARPCs were actually quite good even though they might two rich dickheads with Maybachs. The Fox Hunt was awesome, I never thought of that.

9/10 from me.