[11x07] June 11th, 2007

Quiky

Super relevant and trendy avatar
STAFF MEMBER
No torrent talk.

Discuss the episode.

Right Good episode, Tom's off roading was really fun, silly motor bike stunts, well OK. Johnny going to Moderna in a Scarletti was really good, he is getting the bit between his teeth.

But the shoot out - Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant (Can you tell - I liked it). TIFF IS A DRIVING GENIUS and Plato is not so dusty either.

Rest of it was, er nothing to object to I suppose, silly rocker bungee jumping - I could take or leave really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats with 5th Gear and these stupid 'races' that arent even races.

Unlike TG, these races have no tension or drama. Its basically them in England talking about the car, 30 seconds later they have driven across Europe, 20 seconds finale in target country.

I dont think it was this week, last week i think but Vicky called their mechanic "our tame mechanic"

Hmm, now they are even ripping off TG's pet names "our tame racing driver" - desc the Stig.

Also the bungee jump was pointless.

Fifth Gear feels like its been put together by people who have just left their media degrees at uni and the presenters act like they barely care, its like "ohh, ive got 5 minutes free Tuesday ill do some filming. As if they had something more important to do like write a column in a paper.

Keep the discussion on topic please. I just had to delete 9 posts from this thread.

Hmmm, not the best episode I'm afraid but watchable.
I'm currently in the UK so was looking forward to seeing it 'live' but the most memorable part of the whole thing was the Top Gear advert aired during the first ad break :lol:

Tom off roading: Awesome, great car, basis but my god its like a mini tank off road

Shootout: Seen the GT a million times before still amazed at how owned Jason got i he second drag, he let Tiff win that one. Misshift my arse

Bungee jump; Shit, pure shite. Whats his face was on the F Word a fortnight ago, hes really pushing for publicity now. VBH should of done the jump, mind you she'd be to fat to fit in the harness.

612 to Modena: Nice car, nice idea but it was a less than expected. Tott seemed really pissed off with him for some reason. Cake looked nice though.....

Bike stunts: Wheres my chainsaw....... no more for the love of peat

Jelly n Ice Cream :)

Tom in Iceland. Defenders wil ALWAYS be cool 8)
Johnny to Modena. I actually felt nervous for him waiting for Todt (who came across OK too)
GT v FF. TBH both drivers want to win. So at least it was a bit more matched than Clarkson vs May.

Jellied Eels :(

Bungee. Interesting, but not realy suitable for a car show
Driven to Destruction. Pointless!
Mel C. Pointless.
Bike Stunts. No ones ever done a burnout in a circle or a stoppie before! :rolleyes:

Tom and Johnny's sections saved this episode. 6/10

Did it say when TG was coming on?
Yeah, a competing show on a competing network spent the whole show advertising for Top Gear. :rolleyes:

That'd be like NBC taking a half-hour to advertise ABC's fall lineup. ;)

what lol todt looked like johnny had just handed him a dead dog. and then later said ill be fine as long as you dont ask me about the cake lol.

was funny seeing the TG driving anthems CD being pimped on the adverts...thats the 2nd time now i think

it was a mostly forgettable show to be frank. the landy feature was pretty similar to clarksons landy feature, the race wasnt particularly interesting, but of course seeing tiff and plato battle it out is always fun.

vicki's not fat, just curvy.... mmmmmm

dude from blur doesnt do anything for me, and bungee jump was out of place in the show.

vicki's absolutey garbage tested to destruction segments are either completely pointless, or so bleedingly obvious that you really dont need to waste time filming it. and in both cases they can be pretty flawed....(see will reversing at top speed bust a gear box, that had to of been the most uneducated bit of telly i have ever seen)

A very good episode by Fifth Gear standards. The worst bit was the Blur guy jumping out of the crane... the celeb segments and the Driven2Destruction are just too redundant.

Tom was good... Tiff and Jason were great as usual. Johnny really stood out for me. I love the fact that he just tests these awesome cars he's never driven and we get to see how he reacts to them... you can just put yourself into his shoes to see what it's like driving a Ferrari for the first time. Plus he has some good jokes, like how he passed Luxembourg on the left side because it's technically a duchy. :lol:

Shawn said:
Tom was good... Tiff and Jason were great as usual. Johnny really stood out for me.

I agree, I'm starting to like Johnny whatshisname. Good sense of humor and really plays it down (unlike the rest of the crew).

The rest of the show was garbage as usual... Don't they screen the show before airing or what? Surely any producer/host with a tiny fragment of dignity would have pulled the plug on Vicki and cafe/unrelated nonsense by now... At least she's the only one doing those parts, leaving the other presenters with at least some credibility.

The obvious TG ripoffs are still there, though...

Driven to destruction is retarded. I only watch it coz Vicki is in it. I totally skipped the bungee jumping thing. Liked everything else though! Johnny is awesome.

Apart from the bungee and bike BS, it was liveable. Ford vs Ford was good! BUT - they (the producers?) should perhaps have handed the Defender drive to Vicki - It was a bit samey, samey with Tom IYSWIM. Not that Tom is bad... I just want to see Vicki have some fun :p

Edit: oh, and my avatar was on the wall of that Ferrari lounge 8) Or was it the other way around? Anyway, anything Ferrari is good. Always.

DJ
--

Last edited:
It was alright. The Defender review was cool, but I don't get why Land Roover won't put a more powerful engine in there. 127hp? That's seriously underpowered for a SUV that size.

Ford GT vs Formula Ford, it's alright, but the Ford GT has no chance, it's just so much heavier than the Formula Ford.

I didn't like the 612 review too much, it didn't really give me any new info about the car. Maybe it's because I watched the 599 review though, it felt pretty much the same.

average episode.

i felt really worried for Johnny though and i could tell he was seriously nervous. Either way he did a good job, even though Todt didnt really want to speak to him and/or the Fifth Gear viewers. Sort of disappointed at the fact that Ferrari CEO doesn't really care, considering its one of my favourite manufacturers. (Aston ftw:p)

Land rover part was ok, but I was hoping for some more offroading instead of plain scenery shots. It's just a personal opinion, but some of those new and shiny looking interior parts from Freelander look a little out of place in Defender.

Bungee jump... pointless and quite same with Fords head to head, it was basically ok but outcome was too obvious to make it interesting. Same old boring and pointless stuff going on at cafe and "Driven to destruction". Unfortunately(?), I've always had soft spot for Melanie and her lovely voice, so I couldn't focus on anything else during that segment. :wub:

Johnny is really becoming one of my favorite presenters in FG and he really stands out when he can focus on telling how the car makes you feel instead of reading performance figures from sales brochure.... but I wouldn't eat that cake either, didn't look very delicious.

It was alright. The Defender review was cool, but I don't get why Land Roover won't put a more powerful engine in there. 127hp? That's seriously underpowered for a SUV that size.

Its not a SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle).

Last edited:
I thought that was a really good episode, didn't have a problem with any part, my sister was watching it and just as she was getting bored the bungee jumping part kept her hooked. So there was something for everyone.

Good solid episode in my opinon I give it a 9 out of 10.

I'm still not decided on the new defender, I like the new engine, plenty of power and it's rock solid off road, 6sp box is great. But the new cabin is far more cramped and you loose a lot of seats because of the new forward facing rear seats. I think this might be the last defender, the design cannot keep up with legislation.