'12 MLB Regular Season Thread

teletubby-warrior

Da Superfan
Two days until the Japan Opening Series in Tokyo, where the Mariners and Athletics will start off the 2012 regular season with mediocre baseball.... woooooo! In all seriousness, I can't wait.

Miami's Home Run Monstrosity is fully functional and fully horrifying:

What's everyone looking forward to this year? :)

Spending most of the summer a few miles from Fenway Park. :p

Seriously, living near Tampa wreaks havoc on my baseball-watching. Even more seriously, I'm looking forward to another season of hope, dashed by a last-minute heartbreak. You know, the usual. Watching Valentine work with the Sox will be interesting.

My infield in tact and all playing in a game at once.

I'm slowly losing hope for that...I figure the over/under is 30 games :p

Sadness. I will miss a large chunk of the middle of the season.
Worse, I will miss opening day. :|

Edit: The Marlins know that thing WILL get booed, correct?

Last edited:
A productive first baseman.

Marlins-Statue.jpg

Well, the first regular season game is on the books... and most people have no idea.

Thanks for holding the season opener in Japan and not even televising the god damn game, Bud. Thanks a ton.

Well, the first regular season game is on the books... and most people have no idea.

Thanks for holding the season opener in Japan and not even televising the god damn game, Bud. Thanks a ton.

bud-selig-microphone-425.jpg

b821dcdb4a4e31589100d8845f2e5a28.jpg

lg_selig_ap.jpg

...lol...
I cracked up when I saw that too. :D

Some big news:

- Pineda had another awful outing tonight and it looks like he'll be going down to AAA to start the year... OUCH.

Michael Pineda was pulled after giving up six runs in 2 2/3 innings Friday against the Phillies.
Pineda was reportedly throwing mostly in the 90-91 mph range in this one. Since his fastball hasn't come back at all, there's a good chance the Yankees will send him down to work on his mechanics in Triple-A. That'd give them room for Ivan Nova, Phil Hughes and Freddy Garcia in the rotation.

- And quite possibly the most awesome story of the offseason: Moyer has secured a spot in the Rox rotation... at 49

Jamie Moyer has officially earned a spot in the Rockies rotation.
Invited to camp on a minor-league deal, the 49-year-old lefty will occupy the second spot in Colorado's rotation behind Jeremy Guthrie. It's likely just a ceremonial placement, but a mighty feat for a pitcher who missed all of 2011 while recovering from Tommy John surgery. One of the oldest players in baseball history, Moyer turned in a 2.77 ERA and 11/3 K/BB ratio in 13 spring innings. It's possible Moyer's smoke-and-mirrors approach will not pan out in launching-pad Coors Field, but he's worth a flier in NL-only leagues. The Rox rotation will be rounded out by Juan Nicasio, Jhoulys Chacin and Drew Pomeranz

I love the Rox so much... I hope they can compete, so I can cheer for at least one winning team while my Cubbies are rebuilding.

Wow, Ubaldo went full douche today.

For those who aren't aware, words have been exchanged back and forth between Jimenez and the Rockies (mostly Tulo) since Ubaldo was traded to Cleveland... something about him not getting a new contract while Tulo and CarGo did. Anyway, it all came to a head today when Ubaldo drilled Tulo in the elbow during his first at bat:

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. ? A war of words turned ugly today as the Indians' Ubaldo Jimenez hit Rockies' shortstop Troy Tulowitzki in the left elbow with a fastball on the first pitch of his at-bat.

Tulowitzki left the game with the injury, prompting concern that he might not be ready for opening day this Friday in Houston. He was taken to local hospital for precautionary X-rays on his left elbow. Those X-rays were negative, meaning there was no structural damage.

After hitting Tulowitzki in his first at-bat, Jimenez raced toward the plate, motioning with his arms multiple times for Tulowitzki to come toward him. Teammates on both sides quickly got between the players as benches emptied. Tulowitzki exited the game for a pinch-runner. And Jimenez was not ejected, though the Rockies are expected to call the commissioner's office and request a suspension.
After Cleveland initially said Jimenez would not talk about his outing, the pitcher did speak after the game. Jimenez said he didn't intentionally hit Tulowitzki.

"He is one of the best hitters in the game. I tried to get inside on him. It was a pitch taht got away. That happens in about a thousand games," Jimenez said.

He added:

"The thing that got started was, he was calling me out (from the batters box). I mean, I'm a man. If somebody calls me out, I have to go. He was calling me chicken. He was calling me names," Jimenez said.

Losing Tulowitzki to the disabled list would be a potentially crippling blow for the Rockies. He's finished in the Top-10 in the MVP three times and has won back-to-back Gold Gloves. There was no update on his condition through the fourth inning.

Typically following a spring training game, the starting pitcher meets with the press after he finishes pitching.

Jimenez has expressed his anger toward the Rockies this spring, admitting that he felt underappreciated last season because he was not awarded a contract extension like Tulowitzki (seven years, $134.5 million) and Carlos Gonzalez (seven years, $80 milllion). He told CBS Sportsline a few weeks ago that being in Cleveland was like "heaven."
Tulowitzki responded in The Denver Post 10 days ago, saying, "If someone doesn't want to be here we always say, 'Please, go up to the manager and tell him you want to leave or that you don't think this is the best place for you.' That was kind of the case with him."

Saturday night, Rockies manager Jim Tracy discussed the bad blood between Jimenez and the Rockies, saying he hoped the issue would just fade away.

"Go back to 2007, go back to 2009 and go back to the first half of 2010, there were some special days out there on the field with him on the mound," Tracy said. "I just really wish that all the other stuff. ... Let's get that put to bed, because it's not doing anybody any good. It was over and done with at the end of July last year. Everybody needs to move on."

The Rockies nosedived out of contention last May as Jimenez struggled with injuries and command. He went on the disabled list with a thumb cuticle problem in April, and didn't win his first game of the season until the end of May. Late that month, general manager Dan O'Dowd questioned Jimenez's desire and told him if that he wanted to get a new deal or be traded that he would have to perform better.

"There were too many things last year. There were people saying I probably wasn't ready because of the contract (because he went to Europe for two weeks before spring training and didn't pitch in winterball). ... But I know what I did. I know how hard I worked to get ready every single day," Jimenez said.

The Rockies, feeling that Jimenez was trending downward and had lost the respect of several teammates, traded the right-handed ace to Cleveland for four players, including pitchers Drew Pomeranz and Alex White.

Tulowitzki was incensed when Jimenez criticized the Rockies this spring, believing he should have addressed the matter in-house when he was still with the team.

"For him to come out and badmouth an organization that I have a lot of respect for and take a lot of pride in being here, yeah, you are going to be upset. You don't spend the portion of your career with a team then the next year come out and say something," Tulowitzki told The Post. "I would have addressed my teammates directly (last year) and handled it from there because we were all wondering what was going on."

"Without a doubt we asked him what was going on. It never came up that it was his contract. If you can't get something out of someone when you ask them, then what are you going to do?"

Rockies' veteran Jason Giambi was among several teammates who reached out to Jimenez last season. It wasn't just that Jimenez was struggling. He was the team's best pitcher and couldn't win against even marginal opponents, directly affecting the team's psychology.

"I asked him repeatedly if he was hurt. What was wrong. He said it was nothing. So then you start to think a guy is just shutting it down," Giambi told The Post.

Jimenez better be suspended and Tulo better be alright. :mad:

EDIT: Looks like he'll take the next few days off and be ready for opening day...

Last edited:
I am SO ready for this season.
Hell to the yes.

- Jimenez suspended 5 games and fined <_<
- Tulo seems to be alright :D

In other news:

- Cain gets a 5 yr/112.5mil extension :blink:
- Votto and Reds close to a deal
- Everyone on the Red Sawx is injured.

Edit: Votto gets 10yr/225mil. :shock:

Last edited:
Wooooo, Brazilian dancers accompanying the Marlins lineup onto the field.

Only a few minutes away from first pitch. :O

Marlins ballpark seems super-gimmicky.