• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

1200hp car?!

Phix

Ok, ok... my knowledge of engines and engine systems isn't really that advanced. I know the working mechanics blah blah blah. But from what I understand... it was extremely difficult for Bugatti engineers to make an engine that had 1000hp and not blow up. But while browsing fast-autos I came across a 2000 Weineck Cobra which has.... 1200hp and 1000+lb/ft of torque from a 10 liter engine and 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. Now.... how the hell did they do that w/o it blowing up?!

http://www.fast-autos.net/weineck/weineckcobra.html

Well, a couple things. First, it's hard to trust numbers like that - you see all the time folks quoting their horsepower estimates as though they were dyno proven. IE, "yeah, I put in a K&N filter, so now I'm making an extra 20hp" and such. But, assuming that's an accurate number, you'll also notice that it's got a NOS kit, so it may make 1200hp, but only in short bursts. The Veyron needs to be able to make 1000hp even when you're driving it to the grocery for milk. Plus, 10 litres...

It's not very hard to make over 1000+HP. All you need is a really strong block and a hell of a lot of money. With massive turbos you can get a Viper\Supra\Skyline over 1000+HP at the wheels.

What makes it difficult though, is making an 1000+HP engine you don't have to rebuild every time you turn the ignition key. Most 1000+HP engines are used for drag racing, and they literally have to be rebuilt after every use.

the biggest problems with those high powered cars isn't the engine which can't keep up, but rather clutch and gearbox, clutch slips caus of the high hp, gearbox shatters in pieces due to high torque

and when this is solved, it's undriveable caus you'll be spinning all over the place

1000hp are just useluss if you're not dragracing

You'll probably just end up spinning as bone says.

But if all the engineers put their heads together they should be able to come up
with something to force it to the ground as it accelerates. Like a huge fan
directed against the tarmac which sucks it towards the ground the harder
you accelerate...

Phix said:
What's the average hp/torque for F1 cars anyway?
Not sure about torque, but a modern F1 car can make anywhere from 900 - 1,000 Hp

hanasand said:
You'll probably just end up spinning as bone says.

But if all the engineers put their heads together they should be able to come up
with something to force it to the ground as it accelerates. Like a huge fan
directed against the tarmac which sucks it towards the ground the harder
you accelerate...

? You don't need a fan. It's called aerodynamics. The underside of many an F1 car is designed to suck it to the ground at high speeds. It is claimed (although I don't know if it's actually been tried) that an F1 car travelling well over 100mph could enter a tunnel, and due to the suction created on the underside of the car, drive drive while suspended from the top (as in upside-down).

the problem with going upside down is that you are driving with let us say 1000 lbs car and 1020 lbs of downforce so a total of 2020 lbs down. Now when you flip you have 20 lbs pushing you up. What is going to happen to a tire that is travaling at over 100 mph and had 2020 lbs and now 20 lbs? Its going to slip and lose traction, slow down and fall and thats why that can't really happen

Andrew911tt said:
the problem with going upside down is that you are driving with let us say 1000 lbs car and 1020 lbs of downforce so a total of 2020 lbs down. Now when you flip you have 20 lbs pushing you up. What is going to happen to a tire that is travaling at over 100 mph and had 2020 lbs and now 20 lbs? Its going to slip and lose traction, slow down and fall and thats why that can't really happen

I didn't say it could...I've just been told the fact. And no, I wouldn't try it. :p But where did you get those numbers? What if the downforce is higher? My brother in law is a mech. engineer, and when he was studying fluids and they talked about aerodynamics, that was something that came up. So I believe it's possible.

i am at school to become a mech eng I think that an F1 car weighs around 2000lbs but down force isn't much over 2000lbs but my numbers could be wrong. If they are wrong then maybe it could happen. But the aero force has to over come the wieght and make sure that there is enough force left over to keep the tires from slipping. If the aero force is like 4000lbs then yea if could work but i don't think the aero force is that high. It is possible. It is not realistic.

next thing for richard to test? :p

always funny if he does sth potentialy dangerous :D

NHRA top fuel dragsters run upwords of 8000 horsepower and go from 0-300 MPH in 4.5 seconds. Like others have said it is not hard making that amount of power, but making it reliable is another thing.

SiR_dude said:
Andrew911tt said:

I didn't say it could...I've just been told the fact. And no, I wouldn't try it. :p But where did you get those numbers? What if the downforce is higher? My brother in law is a mech. engineer, and when he was studying fluids and they talked about aerodynamics, that was something that came up. So I believe it's possible.

If you're REALLY keen, I have the coefficients of lift (or in this case, downforce) for the different components of the Ferrari F1 2000 car. From these, your mech. eng brother-in-law should be able to work out the downforce on the car given a few extra bits of information.

COMPONENT (COEFFICIENT OF LIFT)
Front Wing (0.966)
Rear Wing (0.899)
Underfloor (1.080)
Front wheels (-0.038)
Rear wheels (-0.061)
Turning vane (-0.020)
Body (-0.210)

Re: 1200hp car?!

Phix said:
Ok, ok... my knowledge of engines and engine systems isn't really that advanced. I know the working mechanics blah blah blah. But from what I understand... it was extremely difficult for Bugatti engineers to make an engine that had 1000hp and not blow up. But while browsing fast-autos I came across a 2000 Weineck Cobra which has.... 1200hp and 1000+lb/ft of torque from a 10 liter engine and 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. Now.... how the hell did they do that w/o it blowing up?!

http://www.fast-autos.net/weineck/weineckcobra.html

check this out then ...

Cadillac Sixteen

"has the super-sleek, nearly over-the-top Cruella DeVille styling that had us reeling. The concept showcases a 13.6-liter, 90-degree V-16, an all-aluminum pushrod engine with 16-8-4 cylinder cutoff. General Motors says it's good for 1000 horses, 1000 lb-ft. and 20 mpg on the highway cycle."
cadilac13.jpg

what, they couldn't make the bonnet longer? :lol: and what's up with the 13.6 L ?????? even more :lol:

haz