[12x01] November 2nd, 2008

[12x01] November 2nd, 2008

• Total voters
As we have a lot of fellow Finns on the baords, I thought I would mention this.

The Finland bit for the show will most likely be longer than 10 mins, we know that there is a bit about H?kkinen, and a bit about cheap-ass rallycross, but one of the Finnish news sites mentioned rallying aswell, and take a look at these screenshots of the preview:
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/02/top_gear_finland_rallying2.PNG
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/02/top_gear_finland_rallying.PNG

That, I believe, is a 190e, most likely an f-cup rally car,so there are more sideways treats in for everyone, I mean, James in a rally car, who would have thought!

No. Just no. At best a 6/10.

Hilariously funny it was, but not Top Gear material. As others have said before me it is obviously scripted, and that sort of ruins the whole experience. It's not that it shouldn't be scripted at all, it's just that it shouldn't be so obvious.
But more importantly, the car review was terrible. Why didn't they just do a simple Jeremy vs. Hammond review like they used to? Hammond is a Porsche fan, as we all know, and Clarkson is a Lambo nut. It could have been so much better.
The editing is still too jumpy and haphazard, the dog/old woman/child bit was totally unnecessary and quite stupid, and I was hoping for a proper, serious(if expletive-laden) review of the GT2 by (ideally) Hammond, and not Jeremy, who, as we know, is prejudiced against all Porsches. All the information I got from that review about the GT2 was that it's dangerous in the corners. No laptime, no 0-60, no comparison with other Porsches, no price tag. It could have been a decent review if they simply just left the GT2 out of it, in fact. Also, the truck segment was too long, they could have at least crammed in a Cool Wall segment, or a couple of cars in the studio.

Where!? Just watched that bit again and I can't see anyone in there. Methinks you are hallucinating old chap.

http://img371.imageshack.**/img371/143/vlcsnap00038nw6.jpg
http://img99.imageshack.**/img99/1469/vlcsnap00045si0.jpg

Where!? Just watched that bit again and I can't see anyone in there. Methinks you are hallucinating old chap.

Nope, both the wife and I saw them straight away- right at the front end of the trailer, in the shadows as it were, one stood against each side wall. The one on the left is more visible.

You know what else deserves -3560 points? that lambo fanboy clip. It wasn't even a review. Otherwise as usual a great & funny show...

Anyone else find it ironic/funny that they used the Fifth Gear home but replaced the Fifth Gear flags with Top Gear flags?

And :lmao: @ the dog.

*goes back to watching it*

Hmmm, slightly lacking for me, this one. The trucks segment was just TOO scripted for me, if you see what I mean- when the car 'accidentally' fell out of the back of Hammond's truck, you could see two guys in the back of his lorry, FFS!

Ahh.. idk already posted the screens. But in normal show flow you are not supposed to see them... There is a main object in thescene e.t.c.

Anyone else find it ironic/funny that they used the Fifth Gear home but replaced the Fifth Gear flags with Top Gear flags?

Yeah. I thought that was funny xD

P.S. Tooke some snaps on preview.... I see some hillarious moments ahead.

kVzhF5BXG2.jpg
FvZw2UzDOm.jpg
7ZPGn2St2L.jpg
F5ARqBlw46.jpg
SdM5Ft797n.jpg
3WO91hpSlB.jpg
d4fIVv4SLE.jpg
tBK6HBRJqM.jpg
STe3Ubw7ef.jpg
3Ts8F1VTrU.jpg
4c029nElUO.jpg
SiwO1IDSUF.jpg

Last edited:
Solid start for series and a 7 from me, I think it can only go better after seeing trailer at the beggining :D James being pushed of the road in a Lada - :lol:
I thoroughly enjoyed what I saw of it although Sky+ missed the end so I haven't yet caught the scoring from the HGV challenge
Scoreboard was just to show how rubbish they are as truckers ;]

You know what else deserves -3560 points? that lambo fanboy clip. It wasn't even a review. Otherwise as usual a great & funny show...

Yeah, that reminds me, wth was that about? They didn't even show what they got the points for! They could have just gone "Jeremy loses because it's funnier that way".

what an episode... 10/10

james was great, so self confident and equal to the other two...

top gear's finally back :)

I voted 7. I think it was funny like hell.
I also do not like Porsche. But this test was just rubbish. They should have tested the Lambo, and the Porsche next time. Although i hate the 911... the GT2 doesn't deserve that.
And if i was Porsche i would think again before giving them anything again.... bah thats just bad "journalism" if u can call it that way :(

Hm, tough call this episode.

The Porsche Lambo review was interesting, at least the subtle switch was well done & the point on how easy it is to drive well made (that dog made me laugh & got me boo'd at in the Finalgear chat). I would have loved to see the Porsche's time :(

The news were interesting, and for some reason that new british shed supercar reminded me of the old school F1 car they had on during their trip to Spain in Season 10 (I think). That Citroen was just laughable - much like Clarkson's shirt :lol:

The truck bit, while interesting, seemed a tad too long. And what was the point of doing them all up (though I loved Clarkson's stealth lorry and May's Hippie mobile) without getting someone to at least judge their work. Their day at Millbrook was quite funny, especially Hammond's emergency braking (though scary looking) and Clarkson's fire. As for the men in the back of Hammond's trailer, on one hand it did feel a bit scripted - but on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if it had actually fallen out on its own without the camera team getting a good shot. :) The score board made very little sense, and I sort of had the feeling they had just thrown the points up there at random.

Parkinson was a bit meh, what happened to actually talking about the the SIARPC's car history? All we got out of Parkinson was 2 sentences on how he used to be a Jaguar-man, but how he had now switched to a Merc. And that was it?! <_<

All in all, I'd say a 7 out of 10 for a good effort, but with a bit too many loose ends.

OT: Speaking of audience personas, that was one rather pregnant lady standing behind Clarkson during the SIARPC introduction :blink:

In light of the recent nonsense surrounding Ross and Brand, I thought the editorial team should have removed the sick jokes about truckers killing prostitutes. I love TG and have watched it for longer than I care to mention but I think Clarkson is now too fond of his own voice.
I think he has outlived his usefulness now and is in danger of detracting from how great the show and the whole TG franchise is.

Did those trucks really have no seatbelts or were they just too lazy to put them on.
I wouldn't have driven into a brick wall without a seatbelt. Jeremy got balls.

Talking about preview and a Renault Avantime - someone in the spoiler section was right about shape of a hidden car on spyshots :) And Lambo vs 911 was really a Gallardo review, dont blame Clarkson for not liking GT2 and not wasting viewers time on talking how scary uncontrollable and bad it is ;) And I think we must get used to this style of program, with milions of viewersit no longer can be program for car freak interested in a new iDrive in a BMW or new engine in an Audi, which is a bit of a shame really - I think it would be great to join those 2 ideas of cocking about and some proper reviews together.

9/10 for me. Classic Top Gear.

In other news: TGAUS has got me thinking. About the SIARPC segment. It gives me the insight as to how non-UK people feel about it. I can now see the concept of not knowing the guest... But in the interest of myself, who here has heard of/knows of Sir Michael Parkinson (Non-UK people)?

I've heard of him. Come on. He is the biggest, most known talkshow guy in the UK!

Has to be said that after watching TG for so long, I've been more keen on other brit shows.