[12x01] November 2nd, 2008

[12x01] November 2nd, 2008

• Total voters
This episode was epic! I hope it's a sign of things to come!

And yes, I think it was the same place Fifth Gear hosts their show

I thought it was well worth it. Good episode, My main critizism at the moment would be Clarksons sometimes uncompromising opinions. The truth is i know theirs alot going on in his head, you watch two different reviews of the same car both by him, and read his articles and you can tell that theirs more reasons for his dislike of the GT2 then just it being "terrifying", but on TopGear, maybe just more recently, all he had time to say about the GT2 was that it was terrifying. This IS nitpicking though, i liked the LP560 / GT2 review overall, i just wish it would have had a bit more time to explain itself.

Lorries was fun, i think i just get bored with the challenges taking all of the shows time. Still, i'm complaining about something i enjoyed. I really liked the stealth Lorrie :D, If May would have only had the guts to hang little fake Indian children off the top of his roof i think he could have topped it.

Last edited:
Honestly, why are you people rating this episode highly? Is it group bias?

The review at the start was shit, and the rest was taken up with them crashing trucks, in a very very very obviously scripted and not funny way.

Who actually enjoyed seeing them crash through brick walls? I certaintly didn't, i cringed, that was awful. I don't think James was driving his truck either.

I don't know how everyone can rate top gear aus so badly, and yet give this such high ratings, there has been several episodes of TGA that were better then this.

I have to say, pretty damn funny! The lorry challenge did leave me hanging though, felt like it was missing something. I'd say 9/10, because of the empty end of the challenge. But the beautiful bland behind clarkson in the siarpc and oliver saved it from 8/10.

How did they do the "everyone can drive a lambo" part? I guess they just put up a big screen to the right of the lambo and played some previous driving scene on it like in old movies.

If the wheel had been moving I would have said that they just let the car idle along in 2nd gear or so and told the kid to just wiggle on the wheel a bit. For the 5 seconds or so he would have been in control, nothing bad could have happened anyway. Couldn't reach the pedals afterall, and the camera guy is just a foot away.

The review at the start was shit, and the rest was taken up with them crashing trucks, in a very very very obviously scripted and not funny way.

Who actually enjoyed seeing them crash through brick walls? I certaintly didn't, i cringed, that was awful. I don't think James was driving his truck either.

I don't know how everyone can rate top gear aus so badly, and yet give this such high ratings, there has been several episodes of TGA that were better then this.

If it weren't for the trucks, I would have given this episode a 4/10, based entirely on the mention of Lewis Hamilton.

Maybe they are rating it highly because they liked it?

Look, we just need to realize that Top Gear is no longer the niche show for car enthusiast that none of your mates would ever willingly watch with you - those days are gone, never to come back.

If you look at Top Gear as purely meant for entertainment, then the first episode of series 12 was really good. I know I had tears running down my face at one or two of the "scripted" jokes, so it's entirely possible that people rating this episode highly are doing so because they genuinely had a good 60 minutes watching it.

No conspiracy, just people's honest opinion me thinks.

oh and look at the steering wheel when the dog is driving.

Its covered up in tape or something, probably how they control it.

My friend, i think you are watching the whole show all wrong. yes its a car show, but, to quote someone from earlier, if you wanna see car reviews then watch Fifth Gear. no offence, but, your looking for the wrong thing in this show, its funny and, well, fun.

as far as this weeks show, i gave it a 10, it was one of the best, i laughed the whole way through, well, except for the SIARPC but it was even kinda funny. i cant WAIT for next week!

How did they do the "everyone can drive a lambo" part? I guess they just put up a big screen to the right of the lambo and played some previous driving scene on it like in old movies.

That is always obvious - sticks out like a sore thumb when they do that. Almost as bad as inserting video via chroma key. No, I suspect they put the lambo up on a flatbed lorry or a tow-behind trailer and use a careful camera angle to disguise the height difference.

As for me, I enjoyed this episode. As others have pointed out, if you want a car show, Fifth Gear can fill that need; this is an automotive entertainment show, and this filled that niche quite nicely, culminating in the beauty that is three lorries being driven through obstacles. (I'm going to guess that the insurance for the show is a bit more permissive than anything they'd have in the US... because I can't see any show here getting away with letting a star of a show drive through a brick wall, with only a foam donut around the neck and a crash helmet.)

Being a "yank," I hadn't a clue who the SIARPC was (nor what he was saying some of the time), but I enjoyed watching how well he did around the course.

I think as much as he wouldn't want to admit it, Jeremy probably liked the Porsche. I think they could have edited just a bit out of the lorry competition to fit in at least a cursory review of the Porche, before moving onto that beautiful Lamborghini.

Hmm... score... I think I'll call it an 8. It wasn't epic... it was a solid and very entertaining episode though.

Maybe they are rating it highly because they liked it?

Look, we just need to realize that Top Gear is no longer the niche show for car enthusiast that none of your mates would ever willingly watch with you - those days are gone, never to come back.

If you look at Top Gear as purely meant for entertainment, then the first episode of series 12 was really good. I know I had tears running down my face at one or two of the "scripted" jokes, so it's entirely possible that people rating this episode highly are doing so because they genuinely had a good 60 minutes watching it.

No conspiracy, just people's honest opinion me thinks.

They did find a balance for car reviews and challenges though in the past two series, I'm hoping they didn't just throw that out the window.

You might be the only person who feels this way. Personally, I rated it high because I'm tired of the pathetic excuse of a show from Australia. I cringe every time they try to do something funny. Top Gear UK makes me laugh and that's it...:)

You didn't enjoy them crashing through brick walls?

I rated this well because they crashed through brick walls. Everyone with me was screaming during that part.

I realized today, no show makes me happier at the end of the day like a good episode of Top Gear.:mrgreen:

Man, i thought Hampster hit hard, Jezza actually SCARED me when he hit that wall, i think the producers really ARE trying to kill them, going back to the second boat challenge across the channel! That was EPIC! hate to say it but i have kinda come to expect it from them...is that bad?

Last edited:
I thought it was fantastic, easily one of the best episodes of the entire series so I gave it a 10.

The LP560-4 and GT2 were simply spectacular, I pissed myself laughing when the granny hobbled over to the Lambo.

The truck test was simply epic. I love how they treat such intense moments with little discretion, such as when Jeremy's truck arrived on fire!

Overall completely fantastic, next weeks show should be even better judging by their previous experiences in the US.

I have been watching Top Gear now for 3 years, and I have seen back to series 1 episode 1. They are all scripted, every last one! Jeremy even admits it in the episode where he announces that they have won an emmy for being "unscripted" or something like that (maybe someone here can point out the exact episode for me) I'd much rather see what we saw tonight than Jason Dawe shooting a paintball gun at a budget Bond car.

I loved it! 10 out of 10, and here's why: The entire hour seemed like it passed in a matter of about 10 minutes, it was hilarious, entertaining, and involved exotic cars, coupled with the destruction and insanity that we all have grown to love about the show.

Now to cover some points made earlier by posters:

I worked for a shipping company for over five years, and though Top Gear is scripted, some of those accidents just weren't. Yes, they probably set the trailer on fire, yes there were men in the back of Hammond's trailer. But you don't just do all of that by the book, some of it definitely happened by accident. I have driven the big rigs, but never on the highway, and I never learned to double clutch. Just the same, I can tell you that with the massive weight of those things, the proportions, the mechanical issues, and the lack of visibility, you don't just drive them the way you would your moms minivan. Readdressing the car in the back as well, it would be surprising to me if the guys in back weren't simply responsible for releasing it, as you really wouldn't have to give it a push when going up a hill like that.

To all the Porsche lovers who are infuriated,

Jeremy has stated his dislike of Porsche's for many years now, get over it. His review was entertaining and funny, and in line with all the other statements he has made about Porsche. Jeremy knows, as many car reviewers do, that to learn to drive a rear engined car is hard and goes against the normal thinking of giving throttle and letting off to control over, and under-steer. Ralph Nader's book about the Corvair, "Unsafe at Any Speed" could be addressed to many other rear engined cars, including the Beetle of the same vintage. If you're looking for a good Top Gear Porsche review, watch Hammond review the 911, or May review the Boxster. Jeremy also gives credit where it's due in his video where he destroys an old 911.

So yes, A+, 10!, Loved it!

I wanted to add, I have no idea who Parkinson is, but nonetheless, he was a great interview. It's annoying that people from my country get irritated that they don't know the guest, then throw a fit. The best SIARPC's are when Jeremy is given a challenge in the person he has to interview.

Last edited:
I noticed a Super Aguri wing on the back of an Avantime in the series preview montage thing. They better not destroy that wing, or I will hunt them down and tear their nuts off.

Watching this makes my day. I gave it a 10. It really puts TG Aus into perspective. Parky was a champ, and the truck segment was an instant classic. I can't wait for more episodes.